Aim for me

Ummmm....don't I always??? :tongue:

As long as you're not sitting on the 20, then that would be a problem.

:tongue:

Ummmm....don't I always??? :tongue:

As long as you're not sitting on the 20, then that would be a problem.

oh no ticket orderwent in the day I got the post card. 50. I'll either be behind Cosetti or blocking his view

Hopefully will catch you at Scranton, Reading, or both. :thumbup:

WOOOOT!!!! LOL

oh no ticket orderwent in the day I got the post card. 50. I'll either be behind Cosetti or blocking his view

LOL....Cosetti better stand up so I know where YOU are! :doh:

(running for cover now!)

LOL....Cosetti better stand up so I know where YOU are! :doh:

(running for cover now!)

he and I discussed it at lewisburg. His job is to shield me from the sun and flying objects

he and I discussed it at lewisburg. His job is to shield me from the sun and flying objects

You're taller then Cossetti, he'd have to sit behind you with a parasol or on front of you with one of those MBI Viking Round Shields. :thumbup:

I think you plan on that Jeff..........however I'll bring my booster seat for Reading inasmuch as I'm in front of YOU this year.........

• Like 1

The abbreivated version will be in DCW soon or maybe even here on the DCP. The views herein are solely mine ( you want the "she said" read DCW. It's free and the new version is awesome). Some may get offended, some may want to nitpick...I don't care. Have at it.

He said: 1st up, an exhibition by Scout House. Always a crowd favorite, and on a day their famous shorts would have been appropriate, the corps in full pants came out and entertained the fans with all of their old favorites. Many Scout House favorites as the Wooden Soldier marching, British High Mark Time, and of course, the glockenspiels in Waltzing Matilda got the corps a good ovation from the fans. They also had a brass ensemble perform the Canadian National Anthem to start the show.

He said: Next up the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. Starting off with the Star Spangled Banner, the corps then performed their 2011 field show. It was a pleasant surprise to see some modern elements of visual design in the show, yet fully within their traditional parameters. A variety of music styles were represented, and were all handled very well, especially by their percussion section. Of course the corps always ends with Stars and Stripes and the Marine Hymn, and the crowd responded with a rousing ovation.Easily the best I have seen the corps in at least 15 years, and the best their percussion has been since the glory days under Riley Rose. Bass drum tuning was easily the best of the night, and the guys playing pretty much nailed everything.

He said: the first competing Corps was Fusion with their Africore show. The percussion section did a nice job setting up various ethnic feels, both in the pit and with the battery. The show is definitely within the performers grasp, although there are still some performance and stamina issues. The staging is smart as they keep the corps relatively close for power and ensemble timing, but the tempos are very similar which may hold visual scores down. Because the corps is so close together at times, it does lead to percussion overpowering the brass several times. it is easily their most adventurous battery book, and the performance is their best ever, but they do overpower the brass. Another worry is because the drill is tight, there is a lack of velocity, which make things look clean now which could lead them to outperforming the book coming Labor Day. it was really noticable when the corps did pick up the pace at the end of the show, the brass ran out of gas. One concern I had was in the 2nd drum break, there was no guard work. Really?? At the end of July?? if a rewrite is coming, keep the old stuff in. Are they in the Class A hunt? I'd say so. Haven't seen anyone else yet, so only time will tell.

The 2011 Bushwhackers have had a challenging off season, but have not given up. While smaller than most Open Class corps, the corps does have a lot of talent, but it is stretching then as the performers are being asked to do a lot. I'm told more bodies are coming in, and this can only help as they fight to maintain a finalist position they have kept since 1982. Not knowing the music, I was unsure what to expect. I know a lot of people are ragging on Bush, but they are trying, but the brass is stretched thin. The lack of bodies and where the holes fall in the drill really thin out the sound, and at times lead to the battery overpowering them. I'd say once the battery gets settled in ( some newness issues showed there, especially the basses) some blend and balance work may be due. The guard, while small, is staged as effectively as possible. It's going to take a lot of work and full commitment from the newer members to get in there and get this show rolling, but with 10 more horns, a few more guard and a lot of cleaning, the show does have potential. It's in the corps hands.

He said: And the show really began. Minnesota Brass entered the field as the conquering Viking ship to start their program "Valhalla". If anything, the viking ship thing is cool, but then they stop and wait forever to get guard equipment set up...kind of kills the momentum a bit. But just a bit, as the horn blows, and we're off to viking war! Does Led Zeppelin work in drum corps? MBI showed it does, and more for a nice dramatic opening. IMO, if the tune can benefit from one thing yet, it's to let the mellos really rip the famous Plant vocal passage. I mean...it's Robert Plant at his 1970 shrieking best on the album.....why not let the mellos channel their inner "valhalla I am Coming"? Did kind of lose the story line at times, but I was lower than normal and that may have affected my ability to follow it...all I knew was all of a sudden, the Viking Cheif was dead. A nice version of Childrens Hour, and here the pit really sang thru...what a sound. Drums breaks had some performance issues, and you can tell the book is there, it just needs polishing., Bass tuning seemed really tight...2-4 kinda blended together at times. Loved the brass staging at the end of the ballad to rally deliver some sound...and with 10 holes, more sound is coming. Really cool in Valkaries how the drum break was in the back of the field, yet came thru perfectly due to the brass and guards drill leading up to the segment that followed. A very smooth, flowing show, still with some kinks to work out, but full of the tools needed to continue their quest for their first DCA title. Some holes were evident, which will be filled at their next performance, the corps has the confidence and the show to make a serious run, even winning music ensemble. Can they do it? IMO, the show is there. It needs cleaned, refined, tweaked, and cleaned some more. Having never seen them live this early, I'm told they do their best work in August. Well, it's August, so now is the time.

There is a reason the Bucs have won so many shows in a row. The show is designed so everything is integrated and challenging, yet achievable. Good strong brass opening even with no horn pop in yet. They use the pit to establish almost every transition yet at no time does it feel old or forced, as the pit produces such a warm sound, and the parts always have a new twist. Very cool sound with the muted section in Chairmans Dance as well. The dance floor on side 2 allowed members of the corps to show the various dance styles, and even the cymbals got into the act. The corps proper also did a lot of body work to enhance the dance feel and it didn't affect the quality of the music. A few minor stamina issues in spots, which will be fixed with time. Percussion section played very well, and of course the tenor break is a highlight...and not just the way the drum shells look. Mambo seemed a bit choppy to me but I think I need a 2nd viewing as it's been a long time since I heard the original version of that tune. Can they run the string again? Sure they can. The tools are in place. I haven't seen Empire yet, but MBI has the show if cleaned....and if Bucs don't continue to grow as well. Rochester will be interesting. People can say they are tired of Bucs winning all the time, but they win for a reason: they are that ####### good.

Hurcs: Gershwin show. Cool idea, as they weave in and out of several well known melodies...until the end. Then it seemed as if they tried to ram as many melodies in as they could, and as a result the ending was kind of choppy with transitions not as smooth. The guard is of course the highlight, and the visual design revolves around them. Brass had some nice moments, but at the end, they got gassed. Seems like some holes were evident, and they need filled to max out the power. Brass also seemed bottom heavy, making the upper brass sound thing at times straining to match their volume. Percussion section had some really nice moments, but had a few very exposed not so clean moments that can get better with time, and maybe a touch of the pencil's other end. Oh yeah...the very end of the show standing still....missing something, like growth. Kind of just sits there, and you can tell it needs something to just give it that extra level of zip. Definitely a top 5 show, but It's not up to MBI and Bucs. Lots of time left, so anything is possible...I remember 1981.He said: No Lewisburg show is complete without the Caballeros Alumni corps. No corps comes to this town and gets the ovations like Cabs Alumni, and it's easy to see why. The hands down leaders of the alumni movement continue to offer up old classic, some with newer twists, yet always keep the crowd tapping their toes. With Jim Russo leading the way, the corps charged through their show and received many rousing ovations. Solo work as always off the charts ( move the bari soloist front and to the side), drum line played well

Sadly, it was announced their will be no show in 2012, as the stadium at Bucknell will be going under renovations. Show sponsors did announce that they have every intention to be back in 2013, and you can bet it will be a packed house full of enthusiastic drum corps fans.

I enjoyed your non-biased approach to the review Jeff. Very professional.