Mikey's Atlanta Show Scores

I like the idea of a skating boarding puppet drum corps show, already visualizing it now – everyone will have to be able to pop-lock the puppet but man, what a visual

oh and instead of gloves, more puppets !!!

I know what great drumming is, after all I was once in North Star, seen by many in this activity as one of the greatest drumlines in the history of DCI. Knowing what great drumming is is not the same thing as being a great drummer, or being able to properly judge DCI drumlines at the top level. Yes brass and visual is my thing, and in my humble opinion I like to think that I great in those areas (mostly because I had the finest teachers), but in the real world where there are limited finances judging and teaching drummers is something that I have been asked to do. This by no means makes me a world class drummer, I just want to be helpful and fair.

My scores from the Atlanta show were given out here in DCP just for fun. I think that in my opinion they perhaps show not as much as I am right but more that those hard working DCI judges that we love to criticize get their scores right most of the time. I stand behind my placements, and I believe that the Cadets and Cavies deserved to beat BD.

As for being perfect if you are looking for the perfect horn player, marcher, instructor, volunteer, judge, skateboarder or even ventriloquist I am without a doubt of any kind, not him. Please don't knock the puppet shows, the art of puppetry is more difficult than you might think to pull off well, and kids often rate puppetry as one of their favorate childhood experiences. I think that DCI could even use some more puppetry.

Be blessed,

MIKEY

Athens, Tennessee

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what great drumming is, after all I was once in North Star, seen by many in this activity as one of the greatest drumlines in the history of DCI. Knowing what great drumming is is not the same thing as being a great drummer, or being able to properly judge DCI drumlines at the top level. Yes brass and visual is my thing, and in my humble opinion I like to think that I great in those areas (mostly because I had the finest teachers), but in the real world where there are limited finances judging and teaching drummers is something that I have been asked to do. This by no means makes me a world class drummer, I just want to be helpful and fair.

My scores from the Atlanta show were given out here in DCP just for fun. I think that in my opinion they perhaps show not as much as I am right but more that those hard working DCI judges that we love to criticize get their scores right most of the time. I stand behind my placements, and I believe that the Cadets and Cavies deserved to beat BD.

As for being perfect if you are looking for the perfect horn player, marcher, instructor, volunteer, judge, skateboarder or even ventriloquist I am without a doubt of any kind, not him. Please don't knock the puppet shows, the art of puppetry is more difficult than you might think to pull off well, and kids often rate puppetry as one of their favorate childhood experiences. I think that DCI could even use some more puppetry.

Be blessed,

MIKEY

Athens, Tennessee

That's really special sir. I think you and that EUPHMMXI kid should get together and teach the DCI judges how to get it right. :blink: They could really benefit from both of your unique skill sets. :huh:

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 2

I like the idea of a skating boarding puppet drum corps show, already visualizing it now – everyone will have to be able to pop-lock the puppet but man, what a visual

oh and instead of gloves, more puppets !!!

Bravo.

Dig this, I even have a puppet names Jonathan who has hands that can work the valves of my trumpet.

Can you imagine all of the ge points if an entire hornline of puppets did this?

Edited by Howdy

Be blessed,

MIKEY

Athens, Tennessee

Mikey, I believe you are the greatest. I have nothing against puppetry. I think it's great.

When you spoke about doing Christian Puppet shows in your neighborhood from the back of a horse trailer, I thought " wow, can't wait to see THIS on COPS. It's just a strange visual of a grown man going around the neighborhood in a horse trailer doing puppet shows. In this day and age it just seemed sorta creepy. Sorry I just can't get that image out of my head.

Heck, in schools yes, church youth groups? yes. In a horse trailer ? Not wise. I;m glad you have gotten rid of that trailer so you don't get misjudged.

By the way, hows the recording studio coming ?

Did you ever get the donations of freefloaters for your drum line ?

All the best

• Like 4

Mikey, I believe you are the greatest. I have nothing against puppetry. I think it's great.

When you spoke about doing Christian Puppet shows in your neighborhood from the back of a horse trailer, I thought " wow, can't wait to see THIS on COPS. It's just a strange visual of a grown man going around the neighborhood in a horse trailer doing puppet shows. In this day and age it just seemed sorta creepy. Sorry I just can't get that image out of my head.

Heck, in schools yes, church youth groups? yes. In a horse trailer ? Not wise. I;m glad you have gotten rid of that trailer so you don't get misjudged.

By the way, hows the recording studio coming ?

Did you ever get the donations of freefloaters for your drum line ?

All the best

The future of Heritage Drum and Bugle Corps at this point in time is uncertain, but perhaps it is better than it has been in a long time.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=236501631478

We will be holding a feasibility meeting about restarting Heritage Drum and Bugle Corps this fall.

OT:

The horse trailer was great for puppet shows, as the back doors opened half way up. Only the puppeteers ever entered the horse trailer, never children. The horse trailer was not good for moving sound equipment because it was not fully enclosed and equipment got damaged.

Chuches have had a well respected longstanding tradition of holding vacation bible schools and kids bible clubhouses in local neighborhoods for years. One reason for this is for logistical reasons.

http://www.hopeingod.org/document/backyard-bible-club-information

The recording studio is coming slowly. I now have most of the equipment that I need. I am currently finishing up my instrumental trumpet and flugelhorn DOVE cd at Upperbandwidth Recording Studio. I anticipate that I will start recording at my new home recording studio once DOVE is released.

Edited by Howdy
  • Haha 1

In a place not far away was a drum corps newsgroup "rec. arts marching drum corps". It was the wild wild west of drum corps chat. It was almost everything DCP is, but no holds barred, profanity laced, put up or shut up arguments and rants. George Dixon was a poster that got sick and tired of not being able to have a conversation about drum corps without being cursed out, made fun of, and in gereral treated like XXXX.

One woman was known for her endless rants and turning every thread into something dear to her but always far away from the OP.

George Dixon created DCP to give people a nice place to discuss drum corps without the inmates from the asyslem ( and there were MANY mental patiends on RAMD ) and a place where cursing would be prohibited.

It became a vast, endless cesspool but, I must say, there were some VERY FUNNY moments and posters. It really was a trial by fire and many people peed their panties and ran away. It was like being stuck on an endless tour with both the best and worst people you marched with. If you didn't "know" your stuff you were called out on it and bashed for days. When "certain people" posted, the vultures perched just waiting for him. The "in the know" posters tracked ISP and soon there was a list going around as to what sceen names were certain posters' SOCK PUPPETS Imagine people here having say 20 different screen names.

Dwayne Dowdy where are you ?

Wisconsin Woman arrested for skinning Dalmations to make a Kilt.!!

The Funniest thread I've ever read )

to one poster still there's dismay, almost EVERYONE migrated over here. Galls that person to no end

I tried to read some of it but it was formatted so bad.

I never knew about this. Interesting.

Some of you have a really long history together.

Is DCP a full-time position for some here? Does it produce revenue?

I would find it interesting to learn about how Drum Corps Planet became what is today. It's relationship with corps, corps directors etc. Also, details on readership stats, it's effect on the activity as well on even how shows are designed. Specifically, does DCI and Designers give credence to what is written here and respond or even "change" based off feedback written here.

I believe this is a labor of love for most but with all the time and energy involved it would be nice to know if there was some sort of revenue.

A posting on the history would be very interesting...to me at least.

DCP is read by people in all drum corps circuits. Some take it seriously, some know who to ignore, and some just look down their nose at it.

That is going to haunt my dreams for the rest of my life... :blink:

Trumpet, flugelhorn player extraordinaire with a Phd who claims he was in the "North Star" from urban eastern Massachusetts, now living in rural Tennessee.... and is, or has been involved in, " teaching and judging drummers ".

Sure, and those are some mighty fine hand puppets that mikey's got there too. Its a solo act the good doctor does out of his trailor. One would imagine that he plays multiple characters in his solo puppet show now too. He's perfect for that if you think about it.

Whew... is it a full moon ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2