International Drum Corps Franchising

Recently, had been thinking about the idea of top world class corps creating international franchises of their brand. The thought came to mind recently in discussion of the European Football League and their franchising of US football teams.

Drum corps outside of the US is actually seeing some very new interest... due to migration, the internet, etc. Kids from around the globe are able to see DCI corps perform regularly, for the very first time ever. As a result, there is a sort of new spark of interest.

Add to this the fact that the US currency is at one of the lowest points ever, there is a unique opportunity for corps to develop international programs that could extent their brand internationally, as well as act as a more solid feeder for the international members already participating in US corps.

As an example, you could have Cavaliers - Europe or Blue Devils - Japan. These organizations would be managed and financed locally, but would benefit from the same instruction and creative teams as their US counterparts. The goal would be to eventually be able to staff as much as possible locally, by bringing some of the top talent in the area to gain experience with the US corps, then back to their home region to continue to build the programs.

In this model, corps can expand the reach of their brand, which translates into increased demand for branded wearables, products, clinics, instruction, etc. in areas that have a considerable currency gap with the dollar now, returning a proportionately high number of dollars back to the parent organization... and essentially creating brand new revenue sources.

If the organizations were well-managed and sufficient financing in place, I can't really see many disadvantages.

• Like 1

Recently, had been thinking about the idea of top world class corps creating international franchises of their brand. The thought came to mind recently in discussion of the European Football League and their franchising of US football teams.

Drum corps outside of the US is actually seeing some very new interest... due to migration, the internet, etc. Kids from around the globe are able to see DCI corps perform regularly, for the very first time ever. As a result, there is a sort of new spark of interest.

Add to this the fact that the US currency is at one of the lowest points ever, there is a unique opportunity for corps to develop international programs that could extent their brand internationally, as well as act as a more solid feeder for the international members already participating in US corps.

As an example, you could have Cavaliers - Europe or Blue Devils - Japan. These organizations would be managed and financed locally, but would benefit from the same instruction and creative teams as their US counterparts. The goal would be to eventually be able to staff as much as possible locally, by bringing some of the top talent in the area to gain experience with the US corps, then back to their home region to continue to build the programs.

In this model, corps can expand the reach of their brand, which translates into increased demand for branded wearables, products, clinics, instruction, etc. in areas that have a considerable currency gap with the dollar now, returning a proportionately high number of dollars back to the parent organization... and essentially creating brand new revenue sources.

If the organizations were well-managed and sufficient financing in place, I can't really see many disadvantages.

This seems like a great idea to me. In fact, there are some fantastic performances abroad already. When you have time, look for a Korean marching band performing Variations on a Korean Folksong/Ahrirang on that infamous website that shall remain nameless. I was blown away by the level of execution, especially for an indoor performance. And they aren't alone.

Just wondering,

Has Japan moved to a larger performance area, or are they still competing on the indoor square ?

I have enjoyed many performances and sorta like the difference of a square drill field. It's bizarre in a fun way.

I think this is a good idea....but dangerous.

I refuse to watch Major League Soccer because it is pretty much exactly like Euro Soccer, down to the dang team names. MLS in the U.S. is probably not popular because it hasn't been Americanized, hasn't been allowed to develop it's own culture. If I want to see European soccer, I'll watch ESPN when it comes on every now and then.

The same thing with drum corps. I think that this might be a very good idea, but you have to be able to let this foreign corps develop/keep their own culture - if the Blue Devils, for example, franchise a corps in Japan, don't Blue Devil-ize this corps, let it develop it's own culture/identity, don't make it play jazz/latin stuff, wear blue with sequins, etc.

But remember, those franchised sports teams are for-profit organizations - they wouldn't exist if there wasn't a profit to make from it.

Franchising a non-profit is a totally different monster - where will it be incorporated? Whose tax laws does it have to follow? Where will it get most of it's funding? Can a corps afford $1mil a year for their own corps, and still give $300k to a franchised foreign corps? Or if they want to bring this corps to the U.S. every summer, it's going to cost more than that. Drum Corps is very, very expensive.

I'm just worried that if U.S. corps start doing this, then these foreign corps are just going to be mirrors of us, instead of something different. If, by chance, one day we are able to see a corps come from Africa, or India, or Japan, etc., I don't want to hear them playing Slaughter on 10th Avenue, or Malaguena, or do diamond cutters and z-pulls. I'd be really excited to see/hear some totally new and different ideas than our own culture provides.

I refuse to watch Major League Soccer because it is pretty much exactly like Euro Soccer, down to the dang team names. MLS in the U.S. is probably not popular because it hasn't been Americanized, hasn't been allowed to develop it's own culture. If I want to see European soccer, I'll watch ESPN when it comes on every now and then.

The same thing with drum corps. I think that this might be a very good idea, but you have to be able to let this foreign corps develop/keep their own culture - if the Blue Devils, for example, franchise a corps in Japan, don't Blue Devil-ize this corps, let it develop it's own culture/identity, don't make it play jazz/latin stuff, wear blue with sequins, etc.

You bring up a good point, however would the biggest point in doing this to be expanding the US corps names across the world, or drawing more interest for the folks overseas to come to the US to march, sort of like a feeder corps? P.S. Red Bull should start a corps... epic, just sayin :tongue:

Well... this is sort of what I am talking about. Soccer in Europe is much more advanced, and connecting with teams in Europe provide a great jumpstart for American teams in terms of coaching, talent flow, all kinds of things... that would have either more difficult or developed more slowly if entirely independent... Real Salt Lake, for example.

I like the idea of what it could be as more of a mash-up, rather than a clone.

Franchising a non-profit is a totally different monster - where will it be incorporated? Whose tax laws does it have to follow? Where will it get most of it's funding? Can a corps afford $1mil a year for their own corps, and still give $300k to a franchised foreign corps? Or if they want to bring this corps to the U.S. every summer, it's going to cost more than that. Drum Corps is very, very expensive.

No, no... the money flows the other way. The dollar is in miserable shape right now. This seems to be a perfect opportunity to get US talent more engaged overseas... with the disparity between currencies, flying instructors or clinicians oversea right now is essentially free if compared to past years. In another thread there was a comment about betting $1... which couldn't really buy you much in Europe or Japan right now... about 30% less than it did not that long ago. US goods and services are a great bargain right now... corps should take advantage of this.

I'm just worried that if U.S. corps start doing this, then these foreign corps are just going to be mirrors of us, instead of something different. If, by chance, one day we are able to see a corps come from Africa, or India, or Japan, etc., I don't want to hear them playing Slaughter on 10th Avenue, or Malaguena, or do diamond cutters and z-pulls. I'd be really excited to see/hear some totally new and different ideas than our own culture provides.

It is more about quality of instruction and access to manufacturer support, etc. than it is actual rep, more of a mash-up, like I mentioned.

Anyway, the way the world is moving, there is an interesting opportunity developing for corps to generate money internationally to spend in the US.

• Like 1

Back in the 1980s a lot of the larger DCUK corps were affiliated to DCI Corps. The arrangements weren’t official but they did exist. e.g. Dagenham Crusaders – Blue Devils, 3rd Glasgow BB – Phantom Regiment & Blue Barons – The Kilties. I’m sure there were more.

DCUK corps not only played DCI scores but they would also bring over DCI Instructors. We had Jim Wren & Marty Hurly over from the Regiment. We played Swan Lake (songs from a winter palace) in 1988, I year after PR played it.

Back then DCUK supplied a steady stream of marchers to DCI corps. A friend of mine marched for Boston & the 27th. Another chap I know marched soprano for the Blue Devils for 5 years.

As far as DCUK & DCE go both those organisation are no longer 21 and under, they’re now all age. That I think would make a franchise tricky, certainly with regard to the European Corps.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Back then DCUK supplied a steady stream of marchers to DCI corps. A friend of mine marched for Boston & the 27th. Another chap I know marched soprano for the Blue Devils for 5 years.

Herbie!!!

As far as DCUK & DCE go both those organisation are no longer 21 and under, they’re now all age. That I think would make a franchise tricky, certainly with regard to the European Corps.

Sure. As the intent would be to create a new entity affiliated with a US corps, rather than an existing, it could either be a sort of thing where they restricted the age to compete in Open Class in the states or didn't in order to compete in World Class (that is if the org would ever intend to compete in the US).

Actually, since there is no limit on age in International Class, one idea that could be interesting would be to encourage age outs to spend a season with their international affiliate overseas in order to share knowledge and experience. At the same time American kids get the experience of spending time in Europe or Asia. This could be pretty interesting.

• Like 1

I remember when two guys from the UK marched in SCV. Almost got them DQ'd because they had forged documents. Got themselves in a little trouble with (what was then) the INS, too.

I believe Pioneer supports band programs in Africa, and a few kids from these programs make the step to Pioneer every year. These bands do have their own names and typical African traditions, which I think is good.

I don't think an actual feeder corps would be the best way to do this, because people will expect great things from a corps named Blue Devils or Cavaliers, which is obviously not possible, because of various reasons like money, rehearsal time, amount of shows, etc.

I don't think it would be a bad thing if corps from different continents have a sort of relation, where knowledge, instructors, arrangers and maybe even equipment can be shared.

And how about instrument manufacturers? Can they do more in their communication to bring corps closer together? What if, for example, Pearl, gives instructors a chance to travel, meet up with other Pearl drumlines and in this way try to make all the lines with Pearl superior by sharing all the knowledge. This would be a win situation for the participating lines and Pearl itself, because maybe more corps want to march with their instruments.