Remember when.....

Remember when hitting the buckle or buttons was a badge of honor. We just knew it was about the image and that special parent would fix everything.

This is the 2010 Commandant's Own. The tradition lives on.

usmcsop.JPG

Our last year as the Royal Coachmen we bought Seneca princemens old red uni tops which had 2 rows of buttons and when we wore them for the first time, and called to parade rest, when all the other corps heard that loud CHINK...man all heads turned. Surprised us all too! Our drum line was like, "Dam!"

Our last year as the Royal Coachmen we bought Seneca princemens old red uni tops which had 2 rows of buttons and when we wore them for the first time, and called to parade rest, when all the other corps heard that loud CHINK...man all heads turned. Surprised us all too! Our drum line was like, "Dam!"

You have to pick a corps, any corps on the east coast BITD all the ones who wore cadet style uniforms ... from Blue Rock all the way to St. Joe's Batavia, the Crusaders, Polish Falcons, virtually every corps from Brooklyn who represented a Catholic parish - there was much Chinking going on at every show retreat! There were some corps who would stand on the line, go to parade rest (just for the chink!) then come to attention to begin their show. It was like "pre GE."

You have to pick a corps, any corps on the east coast BITD all the ones who wore cadet style uniforms ... from Blue Rock all the way to St. Joe's Batavia, the Crusaders, Polish Falcons, virtually every corps from Brooklyn who represented a Catholic parish - there was much Chinking going on at every show retreat! There were some corps who would stand on the line, go to parade rest (just for the chink!) then come to attention to begin their show. It was like "pre GE."

The two corps I remember from the early 60's, distinctly making the "chink" an exclamation point in their show were Garfield and the Skyliners ... I believe Garfield did it after American Salute and Sky and Misirlou, both coming to a halt ... of course, slamming the horns into the brass buttons was never too kind to the tubing ... LOL ... Sky's Alumni replicates the effect after Misilou today by clasping the cymbals at the end of the tune ... just for history's sake ...

:-)

The two corps I remember from the early 60's, distinctly making the "chink" an exclamation point in their show were Garfield and the Skyliners ... I believe Garfield did it after American Salute and Sky and Misirlou, both coming to a halt ... of course, slamming the horns into the brass buttons was never too kind to the tubing ... LOL ... Sky's Alumni replicates the effect after Misilou today by clasping the cymbals at the end of the tune ... just for history's sake ...

If you recall that, then you have to remember all the corps who appeared at the Mosque Theater in Newark, Carnegie Hall and Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum who did the clink! They are on all the Fleetwood recordings.

If you want a great example, listen to Freelancers 1977. :worthy:

e did a July 4th weekend in 1975...heard Cavaliers do it...####!!!!

Good points, Puppet. That whole "clinking/chinking" thing was a big deal for many corps.

At the Drum Major's command of "Off the Line.........Paarrade Rest!" on the starting line was the first 'chink' and yes, at the end of the 'Color Presentation' was the other.........but if you listened to one of the Symphony Hall or Carnegie Hall shows, you'll hear two distinct sounds........the first was the left foot slamming into the stage floor(1), followed by the hit of the horn on the chest plate(2). In later years the two separate moves lazily became one(sigh).

Up until '67 I really didn't think about the horn damage(we were playing 7 year old Getzens).........but in '67 when I got my new Olds Ultratone.......I hesitated and didn't really follow thru........still miss that horn. Only other big horn I enjoyed was the Whaley-Royce horn I borrowed for one show, can't remember if it was from the Bronx Kingsmen or Opti, but it was a memorable experience!