Remember when.....

Good points, Puppet. That whole "clinking/chinking" thing was a big deal for many corps.

But you had to have the all the metal stuff hanging on your uniform to make it work! :thumbup:

FrankieCadet.jpg

And speaking of the Commandant's Own ... many, many props to the white leather gloves! :worthy:

75674_1510891206148_1050416909_31174602_6342003_n.jpg

We "chinked" the bugles down onto the buckle of our same brown belt.

• Like 1

Cadets of Greece had the same buckle as Garfield, love the "Chink" sound as we went to Parade Rest. Memories......

75674_1510891206148_1050416909_31174602_6342003_n.jpg

We "chinked" the bugles down onto the buckle of our same brown belt.

I always thought the low parade rest was kinda wacky but if it got the job done and the entire line did it (How so Contras!?) cool.

Speaking of cool how about those Flugle horns ... huh? :smile:

I always thought the low parade rest was kinda wacky but if it got the job done and the entire line did it (How so Contras!?) cool.

(a.) Contra "click" - We* contras clicked the sam brown belt's cross-belt buckle and clipped the left edge of the belt buckle then sorta slid the contra into the correct position. (*That's me in 1970; Tim Lewis to my left.)

275805_1321568427_4015651_n.jpg

(b.) Flugelhorns - While (Jim) Wedge messed with combinations of flugels and mellophones for an alto mid-voice, it also depended upon the talent filling the positions in the hornline. One of Wedge's trademarks was arranging the musical scores to the talent levels of those who would play them, constantly adjusting them as the talent level (hopefully) improved as the season progressed.

Edited by Navillus WP

(a.) Contra "click" - We* contras clicked the sam brown belt's cross-belt buckle and clipped the left edge of the belt buckle then sorta slid the contra into the correct position. (*That's me in 1970; Tim Lewis to my left.)

275805_1321568427_4015651_n.jpg

(b.) Flugelhorns - While (Jim) Wedge messed with combinations of flugels and mellophones for an alto mid-voice, it also depended upon the talent filling the positions in the hornline. One of Wedge's trademarks was arranging the musical scores to the talent levels of those who would play them, constantly adjusting them as the talent level (hopefully) improved as the season progressed.

Of course when I said wacky I was thinking of all the stuff below the belt line and who might have seen some stars then and again. Remember, I played Mello and .. you know.

Ah Puppet - c'mon. You can't tell me that as a mellophone player - hell, even Whalley (untuneable) Royce Mellophones, you actually thought about those flugel horns as anything besides strange looking lamps that simply hadn't been wired yet!

I ain't buyin' it...

Cadets of Greece had the same buckle as Garfield, love the "Chink" sound as we went to Parade Rest. Memories......

...very cool memories of the "Chink" sound. Many of us had it. I try to listen for it with the rifle strap click click click. I was a DM and flag girl. My "Chink" was a smart salute or a snap of the flagpole. When I heard the "Chink", we were ready :-)

I own an early 1970's Olds Ultratone baritone and a late 60'sGetzen Titleist baritone (both with horizontal piston/rotary valves).

Both have serious "buckle" dents.