Why is drum corps so weird now?

I haven't really watched any shows since I aged out in 2007, and now that I'm watching current shows on the DCI Fan Network I'm pretty shocked by how much things have changed. It's the amps, it's not the electronics and synths, I actually like all that stuff. But the uniforms, the show designs, everything, wtf is going? It seems like every corps now does a "brooding and mysterious" preshow, and everyone is doing A LOT of dance movement as opposed to actual marching. Am I just the old fart that I despised back when I marched? Why can't we go back to the days of Summertrain Blues Mix and Frameworks :-(? I know when I was marching we were already on the path to Bando-dom, but man is the top 12 in bando territory now.

is weird. Drum corps has a looooong way to go to get even close.

You wanna talk stark difference in show design, go compare like '92 and '95 or '90 and '95. Even the difference between BD '93 and '94 is STARK. That, IMO, was a conceptual change that never got to fully live out as we were moving on by 2000 with the esoteric, what-the-heck kind of shows, but (for me, at least) was a turning point.

My huge change was absolutely '93-'94. MAJOR SHIFT in show design. Then it got BAD for about 5 years. I'm not sure where a shift happened in the 2000s yet. The amps were minor but the SYNTHS seem to be changing the sound even more.

It's been 10 years since I aged out and I can honestly say that the overall quality and performance level of DCI corps has increased substantially during that time. Bb has changed things for the better IMO. I don't like anything to do with electronics or amplified voice, but I deal with it. No offense, but I think a lot of guys over the age of 40 got a chuckle out of this.

I haven't really watched any shows since I aged out in 2007, and now that I'm watching current shows on the DCI Fan Network I'm pretty shocked by how much things have changed. It's the amps, it's not the electronics and synths, I actually like all that stuff. But the uniforms, the show designs, everything, wtf is going? It seems like every corps now does a "brooding and mysterious" preshow, and everyone is doing A LOT of dance movement as opposed to actual marching. Am I just the old fart that I despised back when I marched? Why can't we go back to the days of Summertrain Blues Mix and Frameworks :-(? I know when I was marching we were already on the path to Bando-dom, but man is the top 12 in bando territory now.

Well, if I may offer a few thoughts:

<<I aged out in 2007, and now that I'm watching current shows on the DCI Fan Network I'm pretty shocked by how much things have changed.>>

And I bet we can find marchers who aged out in 2003 who felt the same way about shows in 2007.

<<...everyone is doing A LOT of dance movement as opposed to actual marching.>>

I heard that in 1980 and every year since...including 2007.

<<Am I just the old fart that I despised back when I marched?>>

Welcome to fartdom. It hits everyone eventually. You find the water is warm and you'll have plenty of company.

<<Why can't we go back to the days of Summertrain Blues Mix and Frameworks>>

In 2007, some were asking why we couldn't go back to the days of "Medea" and "Stonehenge."

<<...man is the top 12 in bando territory now.>>

I'd be shocked if I didn't hear that in 2007, 1997, 1987...>>

Where we stand depends on where we sit.

Drum corps will never be more like drum corps should be than when we marched.

If you take another three seasons off from viewing drum corps, you'll wonder why things couldn't go back to normal...like in 2011. :)

I'll give you some of my Metamucil if you'd like.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 6

Hey kid, welcome aboard the Old Pharts bus. :ohmy:

It will be a number of years before you can sit in the back with the really cool people. :whistle:

HONK HONK :shutup:

Edited by The Other Mike
  • Like 1

The only constant is change. Which applies to EVERYTHING. While I never marched I can remember watching the finals on PBS when I was in middle school and high school (I'm 50!) and thinking how amazing it was. Now that my kids have been involved since about 2004 and I've been to countless shows, spent many hours at rehearsals of the 4 differnet corps our family has been memebers of, I STILL think it's amazing. No, from my perspective which is obviously differnt from someone who has, in fact, marched, there are any number of things which are occuring both on and off the field within drum corps. But overall, I look at the activity and see the musicianship, the creativity and the talent these young people exhibit and I continue to be amazed.

Everyone will look back at their time in Drum Corps as the best and will long for the "good old days."

• Like 1

Did I mention I hate all of the new uniforms? Madison, Boston, and BD especially

Choose your battles son.

• Like 4

The only constant is change. Which applies to EVERYTHING. While I never marched I can remember watching the finals on PBS when I was in middle school and high school (I'm 50!) and thinking how amazing it was. Now that my kids have been involved since about 2004 and I've been to countless shows, spent many hours at rehearsals of the 4 differnet corps our family has been memebers of, I STILL think it's amazing. No, from my perspective which is obviously differnt from someone who has, in fact, marched, there are any number of things which are occuring both on and off the field within drum corps. But overall, I look at the activity and see the musicianship, the creativity and the talent these young people exhibit and I continue to be amazed.

Everyone will look back at their time in Drum Corps as the best and will long for the "good old days."

You're amazing! Very cool! thumbup.gif

Did I mention I hate all of the new uniforms? Madison, Boston, and BD especially

This should make you feel better.

OLD%20uniform%20photo.jpg

• Like 1