A Travesty Called Lawrence

I don't know, probably the reason the judges think Bd's staging is interesting is that they guide your eye across the field pretty masterfully. No one besides the Cavaliers have mastered the focal point like BD. Props, as BD uses them, mean that the visual stage is always changing. It's pretty hard to pull off show designs like these.

That doesn't mean you have to like it, though -- obviously. But I always find it useful to at least try to figure out why the judges respond in certain ways to things.

Very well said, especially the last sentence.

The hard part about comparing different performances from a audience member's perspective is so difficult because very few people understand the sheets for each caption.

Even more important is to mention how much different a corps looks and sounds from a field judge's perspective. Sure there may be some performance issues in the baritone section that carry up to the audience, but if the brass judge is 50 yards away embedded in the trumpet section it is virtually impossible to hear those issues from the other side of the field. Same issue carries over for all the other captions as well.

Interesting comment and you think Boston dose not do this.

Where have I said anything about Boston in this thread?

You can try to create something out of nothing but that wont work for me and other people that I don't know, have a brain. The fact is I was ONLY commenting about the design of the Blue Devils and why they do get scored well.

The "bingo" part was me 100% agreeing with saxfreq1128's post. Again, go ahead and try to make something up, I dare you.

BTW, I really like BAC this season.

Edited by CloudHype

I would just like to give props to the four corps who appeared at the contest in exhibition, since the OP didn't include them in his/her review...Defenders Alumni Corps from Plymouth County, MA...Muchachos from Manchester, NH...Mass Brass mini-corps from Boston, MA and the Crusaders Sr. Drum & Bugle Corps from Boston, MA. Thanks to all four for very entertaining programs.

Thank You Grumpy!

I don't know, probably the reason the judges think Bd's staging is interesting is that they guide your eye across the field pretty masterfully. No one besides the Cavaliers have mastered the focal point like BD. Props, as BD uses them, mean that the visual stage is always changing. It's pretty hard to pull off show designs like these.

I agree... they are masters at staging... which includes directing your focus to something going on, or misdirecting your focus away from something that is being set up to happen soon.

DCA's Empire Statesmen, IMO, did a great job staging their "Oz" production last year. They made you focus your attention on some things, and turn your attention away from other things. Like turning the entire audience's focus to the witch's castle when she was melted down.

Staging, in the right hands, is not at all easy to do.

DCA's Empire Statesmen, IMO, did a great job staging their "Oz" production last year. They made you focus your attention on some things, and turn your attention away from other things. Like turning the entire audience's focus to the witch's castle when she was melted down.

Too bad the camera people couldn't figure out where to look at all in our show for the dvd!! :sleeping: