Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

Trombone players never get to hold over. I think its a written law somewhere. :)

Maybe Tommy Dorsey or someone like that might've been able to

Ill give you that. :)

the crowd reacting strongly does not mean there weren't issues. Especially for Bush...if they worked new bodies in, that could have led to issues that were new, even if others were fixed.

Sabers did beat Bush in brass, just saying...

That's funny right there.

and I see a horn player above agreed with me.

oh Ed, you're such a funny guy

($1 to Lee Rudnicki for the implied "insert sarcasm here" in that statement)

Nah, he was a real musician. He wouldn't have bothered. And he was a real dick, if some hack would have pulled that kind of "embellishment" in his big band, he would have fired them on the spot.

There are things called written embellishment. All corps right them in. I think your talking about a lead player that takes it upon himself to write these in himself. Not cool. I don't play that way and I expect the leads under me to follow suit.

Corps do not write in bad releases Ed. Anytime someone hangs over the end of a note in ensemble playing it is a bad release. This is brass tech 101. Anyone who has ever played in a decent line would know that. If a soloist has a part that is written for them that is different than the ensemble and it just sounds like someone blowing a release, that is just poor arranging.

• Like 1

There is a time, place, and band for those (including the trombone)...... the time was about 1940-1950 and the band "Spike Jones."

Joe Dz in NJ

• Like 1

I'm not offended... I'm just sticking up for them since I would want people to do the same for me but just because you're a fan of them doesn't mean you get to slam people so openly. You can review all you want and you can like or dislike any show you want but what will your review accomplish other than create resentment amongst members/staff/admin etc?

Anyway knowing how DCP works we'll probably have 14 more rounds of this before something more interesting happens. :p haha. I'm just stating that I couldn't disagree with your review more and I think there was maybe a better way to go about it. That's all.

Should we meet on the playground after school tomorrow? :tongue: No hard feelings

Mr. Adam is funny. I am happy to see there are people out there defending a group who says nothing in response.

As a non drum corp person, I guess I have to ask...are the reviews always so negative? Maybe I am being sensitive to the students, administrators and teachers of the Fusion Corps group but, are they as bad as that mean commentator suggests? I studied African rhythm and dance and from what I have learned, even the slightest difference in rhythm can represent a different neighborhood, community or dance step. Is the person who is so harsh and cutting an authority on African music? As Mr. Adam put it, there are different regions of the CONTINENT as opposed to being a COUNTRY. I hope to get out to a competition and see this Fusion Corps group and maybe see the group who the mean guy is in charge of. His organization must be at the top of the circuit? What group is the mean guy in charge of?

• Like 2

Hung releases went out in the seventies with vibrato...take a lap!

DA

• Like 2

There is a time, place, and band for those (including the trombone)...... the time was about 1940-1950 and the band "Spike Jones."

Joe Dz in NJ

Yeah but it was Freddie Jones on the Banjo hanging on.... LOL, I'm a Spike fan, heaven help me....