Judging

Instead of focusing on who is judging... maybe we should actually know what is being judged and what is on the sheets?

Maybe after seeing what is on the sheets, we'd realize half these judges aren't that bad.

Ok, I pulled out a binder from my teaching days that has the sheets. What do you want to know? I have Music Effect, Brass Performance, Ensemble Music, and Ensemble Visual.

Ok, I pulled out a binder from my teaching days that has the sheets. What do you want to know? I have Music Effect, Brass Performance, Ensemble Music, and Ensemble Visual.

Good. Lets start with the first one... " Music Effect ". ( incidentally, just confirm with us if these are still current sheets that are used right now as far as you know. )

What is " GE Music "( Effect ) as it reads ?.... and secondly, what is the judge here looking for in his/ her evaluation ? Thanks in advance, Drum Corps Nation.

Edited by BRASSO

Hello,

I have been reading all of the recaps this year and have noticed that some of the judges have been around for ages.

I think it would be an interesting idea if there were "term limits" or a certain number of years a judge can be a judge and than he or she move on. Perhaps they could become a dog show judge or a judge in little girl beauty contests.

I am not saying this because I am upset about some judge or the scores. I just believe it would be a good idea to get some new judges. Let's say a judge has been doing this for over 30 years, maybe it is time to pass the baton to a younger generation.

Yeah, good idea to limit the number of judges that are scrambling to get that paycheck, one just slightly above that of a Pinewood Derby judge.

These guys do this for essentially the love of the game. The amount of time required vs. the actual return puts the guy behind the counter at Jack in the Box on top in comparison.

Better to be grateful that there are enough qualified individuals out there that are willing to take the gig to be able to fill a full panel.

Yeah, good idea to limit the number of judges that are scrambling to get that paycheck, one just slightly above that of a Pinewood Derby judge.

These guys do this for essentially the love of the game. The amount of time required vs. the actual return puts the guy behind the counter at Jack in the Box on top in comparison.

Better to be grateful that there are enough qualified individuals out there that are willing to take the gig to be able to fill a full panel.

What you need to know is where are they from and what corp did they march with.

Edited by emc2

Good. Lets start with the first one... " Music Effect ". ( incidentally, just confirm with us if these are still current sheets that are used right now as far as you know. )

What is " GE Music "( Effect ) as it reads ?.... and secondly, what is the judge here looking for in his/ her evaluation ? Thanks in advance, Drum Corps Nation.

They look at score sheet for info than proceed status quoe.

Edited by emc2

I will not write word for word as these sheets are copyrighted, and I'm pretty sure I'll get in trouble for that. These are the revised 2008 sheets. Not the "experimental ones". But, as I understand it, they are surprisingly similar.

Music GE (paraphrased): Judge the impact of the show and members. Communication with the audience via many different elements is part of effect. Members are judged partly through excellence, but more for their ability to connect to the audience.

Top Box: Effectiveness of Repertoire

(lists a bunch of things that fall into this sub-caption, no weight given to each thing)

Some of which are:

Concept

Tension/Release

Impact and Climaxes

Creativity/Originality

Aesthetic/Intellectual/Emotional

Bottom Box: Effectiveness of Performers

(again, lists things that fall into this sub-caption)

Communication

Nuances

Technical Excellence as Effect

Professionalism

Expressive Effect

Musicianship as Effect

The back of the sheet is important too.

It's basically a rubric that tells you a bunch of good things that performers and design can do (the things listed above), and then assigns point values based on how OFTEN these things occur in the show (Rarely, Infrequently, Sometimes, Usually, Always). All factors are supposed to be weighed. The judge gives a 0-100 score in each subcaption and then adds them together for a total of 200 points.

Hope I don't get banned!

Define the criteria in every box on every sheet. Explain the verbage. Detail the talking points and judging points for each. Outline how "progress" is rewarded on the sheets. Now find a way to inform the general drum corps public of ALL these things.

It doesn't matter if you have the sheets or not. The great majority of the population does not.

We hate judges for bad judging, when we don't even know what they are judging, how they are judging, and what the POE (points of emphasis) are every year.

• Like 1

Yes, we need new judges. Too many judges have been around for the the last 20-30 years and drum corps hasn't changed at all! (sarcasm)

What you need to know is where are they from and what corp did they march with.

But the problem in the situation is that no judge will be completely "impartial". They all marched somewhere, they don't drag people off the street, and stick them in a green polo. All of these people have extensive histories of marching and teaching, somewhere, sometimes multiple corps. So they will always carry that with them, but they for sure try and eliminate any biases when they start judging. It's much more of an art than a science.