Allentown Weekend

In spite of all the insanity of the weekend with the weather, it was a wonderful return to J. Birney Crum Stadium. I'm pleased to say food lines, at least when I went weren't as long as last year, and from my seat about the 30 5/6 rows from the top of the bottom level, the place looked packed to the goal lines down low, and further out on the ends, even with the weather Saturday.

Because my seat wasn't the best for ensemble timing issues in some cases, I'll leave those out. I was able to hear balance issues. I'll also go on record and say I don't EVER remember hearing that much interference of corps warming up. I know the humidity helped sound travel like a Ryan Howard home run leaving Citizens Bank Park, but at one spoint Saturday the sound came from the direction of the Ham Fam. It ruined a few ballads.

Also...a shout out to all the corps that dealt with the rain Saturday, be it a drizzle or worse. Every corps channeled the situation into a positive, and those that stayed to watch were rewarded!

Jubal....seemed to be a greatest hit show, complete with an old school OTL in preshow to pre-recorded OLD drum corps sounds, and drill to go along with it. Wasn't fully sure of the story line, but they definitely fun to watch, and some performance issues were there, but you can tell this corps isnt used to a full time tour.

Pioneer.....I have to give props to a very good bassline. Also, the percussion staff played it smart with the 10 snares vs. the brass with a darker tuning scheme. The show had some positive moments, but the performance issues, even with the full time tour pulled down the reach the show could have had to the fans. I don't want to come off as beating up Pioneer, as I'm usually a fan, but some things need to change for the corps to give a better showing.

Cascades....a nice enjoyable show, and the story was pretty easy to follow. Yes, some performance issues, but IMO, some design choices caused issues too. starting a tenor feature behind the box? Why would you do that? While the use of the box itself with people going in and out worked, because of where it was placed on the field, it led to some odd staging choices.

Teal Sound....Not a fan of the brown pants. I get why corps don't wear white pants, but the brown didn't work. To that point and for a few corps to follow, easily the loudest pit of the night, and not in a good way. I was able to grasp 3 of the sins without diving into the yearbook, but I feel the other 4 were never fully developed. There were some nice moments don't get me wrong, but I think some training issues are causing issues in performance still that holds them back from that next step up the ladder.

Mandarins...the 40 Thieves show was...well, they performed ok. But nothing jumped out. it seems of late the Mandarins have a corps with talent, but never seem to create that WOW moment that hooks you in.

Glassmen.....Good drumline, good guard, ok brass. Another show that never drew me in. if anything, it seemed the concept was maybe overthought out, in a way that didnt translate to the crowd. The talent is there, but there seems to be something holding the corps back from looking like a confident finalist.

Troopers.....loved the show. Easy to follow, and the "road" was used in ways that made sense. Some percussion performance issues seemed to hold them back. Loved the whole build up to the down ending, complete with a Sunburst in the back.

Blue Stars.....easily the loudest pit of the weekend winner. Some cool ideas with the scaffolding, tho it does limit field coverage and makes for some predictable transitions. Some very aggressive drumming, maybe a tad to much at times. At times the music score did come across as "traveling music", and at times seemed like it could have used some dynamic shaping to break up some "feels the same forever" syndrome. Not quite sure why placing that low, but it is a deep field this year.

Madison....very enjoyable show, tho they felt kinda tired at the end....I was expecting more. I have a hunch that last moment may be a longer last moment. The 9/11 thing can be trickey, and they get moments of showing the theme in subtle ways that isnt beat you over the head pandering. the first guard of the night that really pulled me in at times. I dont think they'll crack the TOC barrier for next year, but they will be again a big fan favorite.

Bluecoats.....i've tried to give the show a chance to feel like it's not 2010 rehash. Creep is gorgeous and allows that....but after that it is kinda 2010 redux, but not as good. percussion is a monster, and the brass is no slouch. The guard is still an issue, and the show felt flat....it just didnt move me like last years did.

Phantom....gorgeous. yeah the story could be fleshed out a touch more, but the ending with Brooke...err Juliet on the podium about to use the dagger was well done. Really I cant say anything that hasnt been said before. percussion seems to have talent, and the scoring works for the show, but i can't help but wonder if a little more meat could help that number, which would help the total number. Gorgeous brass moments, wonderful guard, it just needs a touch more something when the tempo picks up in the ending. Looks to be a solid 5th.

Cavies.....awesome percussion. Great brass, including screamers that don't need mics. the recorded vocals work. The visual gimmicks work, even if some feel they're cheesy. In many years, this would be the show. We just happen to have 3 of those shows this year, and a 4th getting real close. They did seem to be on the stilts kinda long, and with uniform and the movemnt, it looks like General Grievous. That said....fun, fun show.

Saturday....this was THE show of the 2 nights, and the weather may have kept it from being more full.

Surf....you can call me biased, as I have friends with the organization. But this was easily the best performance I have seen from Surf since they went World Class. I'm honestly not sure why the number was so low, except for the old numbers management game. Corps responded well to the rain, and fired out great run, and the crowd responded well. percussion handled the wet heads better than some above them.

Pacific Crest....maybe the weather affected them. The show felt flat, and very safe, and yet had issues they really shouldn't be having. The concept was easy to get, but I feel they could have done more to bring it out. I wish i could see them live again without the weather.

Crossmen. A brief sermon. I've been very critical of the Crossmen the last few years. I admit it. It's amazing what one season can do. That was the most excited I have seen an Allentown crowd to see the Crossmen since 2003. Thank you new design team!

The show had Xmen groove, and it had Xmen energy. Corps fed off the weather and the crowd. yeah there's performance issues, and ok, maybe the tunes don't totally fit together. great soloists, drumline with groove ( and the lick!) and some fun moments not seen from these guys in a while. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the Crossmen laid a great foundation to get it started.

Colts....I liked the Black Swan show. There was performance issues, but the concept was easy to follow, and every section had some moments where they shined. I think the show could have a little more dynamic contrast between the highs and lows, but 3 years ago this is a finalist show.

Academy.....Was kinda tough to grasp the concept at times. Good power, but at times the power led to quality issues. Guard seemed to be a weakness. The uniforms are almost too dark, and it seemed to lead to issues in clarity of form. I wish I could see this one again.

Spirit.....I realize the recorded clips need to sound "old", but at times the quality of the recording led to issues understanding them. Easily the loudest pit of the night award. goo winner of the weekend too. the concept is recognizable and easy to follow. Some nice brass power and some tasty percussion licks.

now this was a shock....BK on before intermission...but man did it set the stage! I so love the opening after the prerecorded stuff ends...just doesnt seem to fit. Well done arrangements of class literature thatwork on a drum corps field. drumline had a few issues, but loved the old school single tenor stuff. Just some really pretty moments, but in one or two spots I thought the corps held back, or skipped a section of the original piece that could have made it even better.

INT...I mention them Saturday night, because they got pured on....but it stopped in time for the next corps.

Boston.....Les Miz/1812. very cool idea, but oh would I have loved the Conquest hits! I honestly would have had them much closer to SCV, as Boston was on fire. bari soloist in bring home did a superb job. The whole ballad with the cloth covering and the lights made for some goosebumps. This is a very solid show, and I hope the judges reward it a little more.

SCV....percussion and guard incredible. I think it's the brass holding them back, as well as the vehicle they were given to drive. I was able to see them rehearse this week, and I totally got what the staff was telling them...but I saw no major improvement. Love the yell being back but hate that it covers up an awesome bass run. Cymbals after the yell a visual treat.

then the crowd woke up. So did the rain. and DCi's resident Rach band hyped on it and threw down. the intro with Crown...yeah people may call it cheesy. but it ####### works and the crowd loved it. Sat next to an older couple who clapped along. Sat behind kids who clapped along. Drumline had some performance issues...my guess is the wetness may have been an issue. Hornline outstanding, and the guard is a show unto themselves. in spite of the piano and oher electronics, it wasn't abusive and fit the show. piano players good and his performance of the Freebird guitar jam at the end was awesome. I dont care if they wont win. I know I'll enjoy this show on a 2008 level for decades.

Cadets....the hometown team. The run felt safe given the weather...maybe a tad more aggression could have made up that .05. The show works. The concept is so easy to read, and the new demon uniforms work. Loved the whole between angels...kneel and pray...and demons...loud cheering from upper right corner. Crowd ate it up. battle section really cool and effective, the ballad gorgeous. looks like guard performance caled the show, but on any given Sunday.....

BD....really enjoyed the music. they do play really well. They also dont play much musically when taking big step sizes. percussion is a monster visually, the props just come off as really distracting at times, as do the many transitions that require them to be moved. personal preferences aside, they're clean. real clean. Far more musically exciting than the last 3 years even if the screamers need mics. 5 sheets at performer over book. 3 performer and book tied. if there's a way they can be taken, it's up to cadets or cavies to get clean fast.

Bridgemen...you guys got the worst of the weather, and showed the kids how to hype on it. Nice to hear moments of 82 and 76, and got a chuckle out of the "sop in a lawn chair couldnt find a spot in the drill" gag. Drums...got bless you trying to play in that rain. Show still feel like it needs more gags, tho the traffic jam was a nice nod to Skyliners.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU DO THE CIVIL WAR FINALLY!!!

So there ya go. flame if you want, i'll just make fun of you

• Like 3

Awesome review, Jeff!

Good Review Jeff!

Interesting stuff since I know your background and feelings on some of the pieces.

After I get back from vacation I'll have a chance to talk to some of my (other) Alumni-type mates about their feelings on what they saw. Just missed talking to two of them yesterday as they ran to set up for a HS band camp as soon as they got back.

LMAO... for some of them the weekend schedule is

DCI Allentown....

DCI Indy....

Alumni-type standstill Willow Grove, PA (performing)

And attendance.... :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'd like to give a nod out to Glassmen's cymbal line (I'm pretty sure it was Glassmen...please correct me if I'm wrong)...for their dancing with the solo guard dancer across the back of the field. That cymbal line was great at that dance!

I'll also go on record and say I don't EVER remember hearing that much interference of corps warming up. I know the humidity helped sound travel like a Ryan Howard home run leaving Citizens Bank Park, but at one spoint Saturday the sound came from the direction of the Ham Fam. It ruined a few ballads.

Amen. It was PARTICULARLY bad this year. I've come to expect it when at that show, but it stood out a lot more this year. Not sure if hornlines in the park are actually facing away from the stadium. But you're right...it ruined a lot of nice moments in multiple shows...ESPECIALLY when it was coming from as close as the Hamilton Family Restaurant. Whatever corps warmed up there made a real impact on the experience in the stadium, which is a bad thing. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, just not well thought-out.

Great review. Great two nights of drum corps, even with the sound interference from other corps. Weather didn't dampen the experience one bit!

One general observation: from start to finish, this year's collection of shows was infinitely more entertaining and engaging than last year's. Maybe it's that my knee-jerk revulsion to electronic 'enhancement' has subsided to general nausea, or maybe it's that show designers and teachers have the audience in mind a bit more when they're programming. We'll go with the latter. Regardless...great stuff on the field!

were trying Jeff !!! but again CWS does not play well above the Mason Dixon line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I played it in 84' and until we went on the southern tour u could hear cricket's in the stands.. :)

allow me to be...delicate.

########.

84 was not the 80 corps, and the crowd ate up 80 everywhere.

Amen. It was PARTICULARLY bad this year. I've come to expect it when at that show, but it stood out a lot more this year. Not sure if hornlines in the park are actually facing away from the stadium. But you're right...it ruined a lot of nice moments in multiple shows...ESPECIALLY when it was coming from as close as the Hamilton Family Restaurant. Whatever corps warmed up there made a real impact on the experience in the stadium, which is a bad thing. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, just not well thought-out.

Great review. Great two nights of drum corps, even with the sound interference from other corps. Weather didn't dampen the experience one bit!

One general observation: from start to finish, this year's collection of shows was infinitely more entertaining and engaging than last year's. Maybe it's that my knee-jerk revulsion to electronic 'enhancement' has subsided to general nausea, or maybe it's that show designers and teachers have the audience in mind a bit more when they're programming. We'll go with the latter. Regardless...great stuff on the field!

my hunch is the ham Fam thing came about because of the weather. given who rehearsed in that general direction all weekend....:shutup:

I did ask a DCI staffer Friday about it, and they said they were as fardown as they could go. I'm gonna have to guess they turned and aimed our way. I know I've been in there when 15 bands warmed up at a time and it wasnt close to that bad.

then the crowd woke up. So did the rain. and DCi's resident Rach band hyped on it and threw down. the intro with Crown...yeah people may call it cheesy. but it ####### works and the crowd loved it. Sat next to an older couple who clapped along. Sat behind kids who clapped along. Drumline had some performance issues...my guess is the wetness may have been an issue. Hornline outstanding, and the guard is a show unto themselves. in spite of the piano and oher electronics, it wasn't abusive and fit the show. piano players good and his performance of the Freebird guitar jam at the end was awesome. I dont care if they wont win. I know I'll enjoy this show on a 2008 level for decades.quote]

EXACTLY!!!!

Thank you for the report

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium