Blue Knights are being hosed

Their brass is incredible. Looking at recaps from their recent shows, including Atlanta (which I was at), I have no idea how they're being scored so lowly in brass. I love Spirit's show this year, I think Boston is producing an incredible amount of sound, Blue Stars and SCV have two of my favorite shows of the year, and Madison is Madison - loud and entertaining. But I don't believe ANY of these corps are achieving the sound that Blue Knights are producing this year. They're playing an extremely challenging and technically demanding book on a level that, if they had the name of some of the corps in the top 6, would land them a top 5 finish in brass.

At any rate, if anyone from BK reads this, just know that regardless of the final placements for your brassline this year (which almost undoubtedly will be too low), that you have at least one impartial fan that is truly befuddled by the low scores you've been getting.

EDIT: just glanced at my signature, and I guess it's easy to see how I could look like a drummer with no real knowledge of brass. I am a french horn player by trade, and know my way around brass. Indoor percussion is more of a side project for me.

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte
  • Like 4

Their brass is incredible. Looking at recaps from their recent shows, including Atlanta (which I was at), I have no idea how they're being scored so lowly in brass. I love Spirit's show this year, I think Boston is producing an incredible amount of sound, Blue Stars and SCV have two of my favorite shows of the year, and Madison is Madison - loud and entertaining. But I don't believe ANY of these corps are achieving the sound that Blue Knights are producing this year. They're playing an extremely challenging and technically demanding book on a level that, if they had the name of some of the corps in the top 6, would land them a top 5 finish in brass.

At any rate, if anyone from BK reads this, just know that regardless of the final placements for your brassline this year (which almost undoubtedly will be too low), that you have at least one impartial fan that is truly befuddled by the low scores you've been getting.

EDIT: just glanced at my signature, and I guess it's easy to see how I could look like a drummer with no real knowledge of brass. I am a french horn player by trade, and know my way around brass. Indoor percussion is more of a side project for me.

I agree that BK isn't getting enough credit and imho they as well as Blue Stars should be ahead of Madison and Boston. My only thing is that I heard more than a few hairs out of place from the horns Saturday in Allentown and I think that the difficulty of the book with their talent should not be reulting in missed releases and dips in sound this late in the season. But I am pulling for them. At least they had way less "brass ticks" than Boston...

• Like 2

I agree that BK isn't getting enough credit and imho they as well as Blue Stars should be ahead of Madison and Boston. My only thing is that I heard more than a few hairs out of place from the horns Saturday in Allentown and I think that the difficulty of the book with their talent should not be reulting in missed releases and dips in sound this late in the season. But I am pulling for them. At least they had way less "brass ticks" than Boston...

Definitely agree. Sounds like I like Boston a little more than you, and listening to the replays Allentown I heard a few ticks in BK's performance, but nothing that should be netting them the low scores they have been receiving.

You should start this thread again in a few days. The judges must have read this.

Completely agree, BK is underrated this season. That rep is hard enough to perform well sitting down let alone marching. But you could say that about any show, but still, it's ballsy to take such standard concert band rep to the marching field.

• Like 3

bump for being proven wrong, looks like they finally got a score they deserved. way to go BK!

Its difficult for me to determine if a Corps got a brass score it deserved in relationship to others Corps on a nite when I hear all the brass lines in competition in that show. It's VERY difficult, because I might be maybe a 100 yards away from the field in some cases.

That said, I also know that it is literally impossible for me to know if the brass scores in a show were " deserved " or not if I was about 1000 miles away from the brass line performance, and not within the hearing distance of the respective brass lines that nite in competition. I have pretty good hearing too. But my ears can't pick up a brass performance this far away to determine if the brass scores with a Corps on a given nite were " deserved " or not. So I really can't comment on whether or nor the brass scores in Massillion, Ohio were " deserved " or not. But if others have the ability to hear the brass lines from such distance, and make determinations on what is deserved and not deserved from this, then thats pretty cool, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I completely agree with your observation. I would just like to say and I hope that this would also get back to the young people in BK. Regardless of how they "place" this corps for a while now has an approach to musical expression that is to my ear and heart a wonderful balance of technical learning to the end result of expressing true emotion in their music. Take last years rendition of the Nimrod it was every bit as good and better than CC IMO. It was tear rendering beautiful. I always look forward to seeing them. Even though I am a relic from the 60s having 4 titles with the Cavaliers and still play professionally and will always bleed green I look to corps like the BKs to educate and extend the drum corps experience to anyone who is fortunate to join them.

• Like 4

Edited by Little ol lady
  • Like 1

I think it would be accurate to start a blue stars are being hosed thread imho....

• Like 3