1959, 1960 "Skyliners" LP recording

I recently came across a pretty cool drum corps LP titled simply "Skyliners" but also features Canada's Marching Ambassadors, and The Reading Buccaneers Drum Quartet featuring Tom Bitner, John Flowers and Rodney Goodheart on snare drums, and Larry McDonald on Bass Drum. I have not played it, but I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with this recording?

I recently came across a pretty cool drum corps LP titled simply "Skyliners" but also features Canada's Marching Ambassadors, and The Reading Buccaneers Drum Quartet featuring Tom Bitner, John Flowers and Rodney Goodheart on snare drums, and Larry McDonald on Bass Drum. I have not played it, but I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with this recording?

Sure - 1960 field show:

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (from On Your Toes) Amazon * New York's My Home * Manhattan Rhapsody Amazon * Goodbye Broadway, Hello France (from For Me And My Gal) Amazon * Ridin' High * Street Scene * Puttin' on the Ritz (from Blue Skies) Amazon * Who Cares (from Of Thee I Sing) Amazon * Lullaby of Birdland Amazon * Some Of These Days (from Broadway Melody of 1938)

Reading's Drum Quartet was recorded at the Queensmen's I&E the winter of 61 I believe.

Great record ...

:-)

Sure - 1960 field show:

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (from On Your Toes) Amazon * New York's My Home * Manhattan Rhapsody Amazon * Goodbye Broadway, Hello France (from For Me And My Gal) Amazon * Ridin' High * Street Scene * Puttin' on the Ritz (from Blue Skies) Amazon * Who Cares (from Of Thee I Sing) Amazon * Lullaby of Birdland Amazon * Some Of These Days (from Broadway Melody of 1938)

Reading's Drum Quartet was recorded at the Queensmen's I&E the winter of 61 I believe.

Great record ...

:-)

And, if I am not mistaken, they were actually. at that time, from the Air Force Corps in DC, but being in the military, they had to use a different name for a commercial recording. They were all members of the Bucs though.

Ray

And, if I am not mistaken, they were actually. at that time, from the Air Force Corps in DC, but being in the military, they had to use a different name for a commercial recording. They were all members of the Bucs though.

Ray

As many know..the Blue SKYLINER album was the first of many that i received over the years.It was given to me by legendary SKYLINER CLAUDE SHAFFER right after he played it "Brand "new" for my dad and I at our home on Staten Island back in 1960.I memorized every note ,and still play along with it to this day...scratches and all.Come to think of it ....The Sky Alumni could probably play the whole album note for note and still bring the house down even today..PS and i would be there blowing my a.. off with them.A classic example of what "modern" Drum corps was like in the early 60s....Love it.Bobby B

As many know..the Blue SKYLINER album was the first of many that i received over the years.It was given to me by legendary SKYLINER CLAUDE SHAFFER right after he played it "Brand "new" for my dad and I at our home on Staten Island back in 1960.I memorized every note ,and still play along with it to this day...scratches and all.Come to think of it ....The Sky Alumni could probably play the whole album note for note and still bring the house down even today..PS and i would be there blowing my a.. off with them.A classic example of what "modern" Drum corps was like in the early 60s....Love it.Bobby B

I still have that recording and the 49th Parallel, almost worn out. Time to buy a turntable. Bob, remember my cabinet of records?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't looked at the liner notes in a while but recall that this particular recording of the Skyliners is from their appearance at the 1960 Preview of Champions at Roosevelt Stadium in late May. Outstanding early season performance.

I haven't looked at the liner notes in a while but recall that this particular recording of the Skyliners is from their appearance at the 1960 Preview of Champions at Roosevelt Stadium in late May. Outstanding early season performance.

confirmed,...........May 29th, 1960

• 2 weeks later...

A Sunday evening...1962...John Sasso's basement after a Queensmen practice...I'm a rookie "first(not solo)soprano"...that recording...Canada's Marching Ambassadors... playing Carnival of Venice.

"Check it out", says John. "The last note of this phrase." We do. It's impossible. We make him play it 20 times...the first ever recorded double high C in drum corps.

(PS. That note lives again on the re-released Fleetwood CD. I'd sure like to know who that cat is. I'd drive right up to Toronto and buy him a drink.)

Edited by ironlips

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has an mp3 of the Buccaneer drum quartet, I would love hearing it.

Little known "Peashey" fact:

While I worked with John Flowers and Rod Goodheart over the years and consider the Flower's family as dear friends (we won't say how far I go back with Barb, but it goes back to my pre-Crusader/Brigadier days when I was with Fulton Gauchos)... this may come as a surprise to many in the Buccaneer camp that Buc Hall of Famer Tom Bitner is "almost" related to me. His son Chris, a many year resident of North Syracuse is married to my first cousin's daughter. Chris's wife's grandmother was a Peashey. (my father's big sister) It was a huge "it's a small world" event when my cousin said many years ago that "I think my son in law's dad was in drum corps..." yup... Tom Bitner...

Anyway... I'd love to hear the quartet...

Edited by TomPeashey