Drill jack!

Interesting…

I seriously doubt Boston’s saw BK’s drill and intentionally lifted it

But some of the BK fans seem upset and I can’t deny them that but..I’d think it’d hurt Boston more than it would help them

BK will likely go on first so the effect would be old for Boston

Also, it’s known that it is new for Boston and old for BK which should also mean it it cleaner for BK, which might pop them over Boston in visual...plus Boston is using it as their money shot ending where BK has it as a hit early on, so the context would also diminish it for Boston (ignoring musical GE effect)

Some people don’t think there are compulsories in drum corps but there are, they are built in the shows it’s what gives many of them the feeling of sameness - company fronts user to be one, then rockford files....

• Like 2

Of course drills are copied throughout drum corps shows. The point is why would you add the same drill (mid season) for a show closer when it is already being done as part of a show in your own competitive class? There in lies the problem.

Thank you all for the PM's. I know this is a touchy subject, apparently a lot of people have noticed/questioned the same thing.

Do you really think that the Boston Visual designer obtained BK's drill charts during tour, copied their drill spots and transitions from those charts to his own software, and then taught BAC this supposed "hijacked" drill? Seriously?

I've been a drill designer for over 25 years, and I can tell you that what you suggest would not be worth the effort. From a design standpoint, you have to take into consideration many elements on each move, including things like continuity, flow, layering, velocity, presentation of the musical voices, and coordination with the other elements on the field.

What might seem to be simlar drill move to a corps parent is in fact far from it. I can tell you first hand that Boston's new ending had been planned for some time by the staff, and neither BK (who ARE having a great year this year) nor any other drum corps had any role to play in it.

And for the record Mom, BK Visual Designer Marc "Sully" Sylvester and BAC Visual Designer Brian Murphy have been friends for more than 30 years, and they would both be laughing hysterically at your theory.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 4

A red minus for that?

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Not that I care, click my posts til your fingers are bloody

I’m going to chalk that and this OP up to final’s week fan freak out…one of the most entertaining weeks on DCP as many try to get their corps a few more points and ding the corps that are close to them with their posts

I love the passion but some of you are just crazy (minus button is to the right, enjoy !!!)

• Like 8

Who is this mysterious Marc Sullivan guy? :shutup:

PS: You mean Marc Sylvester.

Wasn't Marc Sullivan the visual guy who worked with George Zingalistein? I think they were on the same design/instructional/management team as Donnie VanMeter, Thom Hammurabi, Jim Primakov, Peggy Twigovics, and George Hopwurtz.

• Like 7

Of course drills are copied throughout drum corps shows. The point is why would you add the same drill (mid season) for a show closer when it is already being done as part of a show in your own competitive class? There in lies the problem.

Thank you all for the PM's. I know this is a touchy subject, apparently a lot of people have noticed/questioned the same thing.

Like I said, it's very unlikely that Boston's drill writer was even aware that BK is using the drill move in their show when he wrote it. Being on staff, you just don't pay that much attention to the other shows, and BK has been going on earlier than Boston at most of their meetings this season, so it's very possible that Brian Murphy hasn't even seen BKs full show. The years that I've been on staff, I usually wasn't able to see most shows completely until semi-finals. You're too busy meeting with your students, listening to tapes, preparing for critique, etc. It's not like he's sitting at home watching FN trying to get ideas. Brian isn't just the drill writer for Boston, he's also the Vis Caption head, so he's got very little time to go "jack" a drill move from someone else.

• Like 1

I definitely noticed it. I don't have a problem with it from an ethical standpoint, but it does seem strange they would add that move unless they weren't aware of BK's drill (probable). Just from an audience and judging impact standpoint, it does take away a little bit from the show to see such a distinctive move repeated.

To lighten things up a bit: I notice that 0.6 of BK's 0.7 margin over Boston at the Massillon show was Visual Effect. So if that gap was due to the diminished visual impact of duplicating a drill move from a preceding corps, I'm thinking it'd be funny to see BK beat Boston at Prelims, just on VE, then they would switch back at Semis because then BK will be the one with a diminished visual impact, and then switch back again at Finals. :thumbup:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

GOOGLE is a wonderful tool--Try it, Marc Sylvester - Cadets 2005 - The Zone.

One of my favorites coming from that era.

Wow, this is funny...a BD/BK mom arguing with a Cadet alum/former DM

Jeff Sacktig wrote the drill in 05. Sully did a lot of the show design.

Google is a wonderful tool...but you're wrong

• Like 1

Wasn't Marc Sullivan the visual guy who worked with George Zingalistein? I think they were on the same design/instructional/management team as Donnie VanMeter, Thom Hammurabi, Jim Primakov, Peggy Twigovics, and George Hopwurtz.

Yeah, the good old Heathcliff Spaghettis.

• Like 1