Indoor Finals

I'm tweeting live from the account mike51r

Seriously everyone? Wow...

I think LOS is one of the best places finals could be, except for the West Coast. If we had finals in the rain, there would be more slipping and falling (not to mention unnecessary injuries), no more electronics (which I know many of you would probably like), delays because of lightning (having to move under the stands and back out again, maybe more than once), and possibly enough wind to make the colorguard's performance really suffer (a dome is literally perfect for them). Oh yeah, and it wouldn't be as comfy.

I think DCI does a great job in eliminating the echo. LOS is not nearly as bad as the Alamodome or Atlanta. I agree that open air shows are better musically, but it's really not THAT bad at LOS. I think DCI can do more to help it with the curtains and all, and maybe they will this weekend. After all, they're still learning about the best ways to do it too.

And yes, this year has been a bad year as far as storms. Maybe not in the early season, but there have been many delayed and cancelled shows this year.

the voice of reason

• Like 1

Man, what did people do before cell phones? And how did people go to Finals week back in the day with the risk of being rained out? It must have been terrifying to be a fan back then.

My experience with domes and shows.

San Antonio in 2000. Echoey but I endured. Sitting upper deck. Haven't been back since though.

RCA Dome in '00 or '01 (?). The WORST DCI experience I've ever had. I was sitting upper deck there and couldn't hear a thing.

So, for me, I will never attend a dome show, not only because the sound is terrible, but because I don't want to encourage DCI to think I want their product in a dome. Didn't they learn anything from Montreal in '82??

no amount of fabric will make LOS good.....the roof is part of the problem, but the big issue is those huge windows on each side. Even if you open the roof, those windows will just bounce sound around.

Meadowlands I wasn't at, but Allentown..I remember Surf and crossmen with a good steady rain, and it cranked back up with Crown and grew from there. It's all in the drainage system, and I know Allentowns works because I judged 27 bands in worse rain than Saturday on that field a few years ago.

I'm sure it all depends on where you sit too. I've sat high before, but I usually sit as low as possible (dome or not). I think it also depends on how far left or right of the 50 you sit. I think at LOS, the saying "you get what you pay for" is even more valid. But things sound great down low and in the middle. Sitting up high can be a problem though, I guess I'll find out on Saturday.

I think the curtains do make a huge difference. DCI just needs to do a lot of research on how to eliminate the echo as much as they can.

I was actually in the lot in Allentown, so I don't know which corps was on when it was raining. But I just know that it sprinkled a few times, and lightly rained a couple times (but I wouldn't say it was at all a downpour). I believe you when you say it's possible to do it in heavy rain. I personally wouldn't want to perform in that on finals though. Any other show I wouldn't care too much about, as long as I don't slip and hurt myself (obviously rain can affect different fields different ways).

How many times has that occurred at a Championships prior to LOS?

Can't avoid it forever. It could possibly be bad enough where finals has to be postponed a day. That would mess up a LOT of peoples flights, work/school schedules, banquets, etc. Basically, it can't be postponed. They'd potentially have to keep delaying it to the wee hours of the morning. Which would make a lot of people not too happy.

Edited by Noname

Can't avoid it forever. It could possibly be bad enough where finals has to be postponed a day. That would mess up a LOT of peoples flights, work/school schedules, banquets, etc. Basically, it can't be postponed. They'd potentially have to keep delaying it to the wee hours of the morning. Which would make a lot of people not too happy.

I agree, that could happen, although it never happened in 25 years of DCI previously. This is about risk management. LOS gives us nearly 100% certainty that we will avoid an extraordinarily minor risk. It is foolish IMO.

With finals crowds that "seem" to be smaller, let's go back to Whitewater. :ph34r: