Let's examine the Blue Knights

It's funny that there's already a thread titled, "Blue Knights getting hosed." I was just thinking today about posting this thread when I saw that one.

First, let me disclose that I am neither a diehard supporter nor a detractor of the Blue Knights. They do good work and I have mostly enjoy their shows through the years. I especially like this year's show, partly because the music reminds me of the old days of drum corps.

So, what is it about the BKs? They are a great organization, march a full corps every year, talented players and guard, excellent staff, etc. So, why can't they break the top 5 barrier? Is it because they are the Blue Knights and not the Santa Clara Vanguard or the Cavaliers? (whatever that means) Or is it because the corps above them are ALWAYS better than them? (which is kind of hard to believe, wouldn't you think BKs would break through at least one year?)

I'd hate to bring up the dreaded word "slotting", but in BKs case, is it true? Are they doomed to be slotted middle of the pack every year?

I believe BKs highest placement was 6th with a 92.00 in 2000. Oddly, BK didn't even make Finals the next year finishing 14th (was there a staff change?).

This year, they seem to be middle of the pack again. Are they truly a middle of the pack drum corps? If they are, then what is it going to take for them to break the top 5 barrier? A Zengali drill design? A VanDoren brass line? A Hannum drumline? Cleaning house and starting all over? I would hope not.

Or would it take one or more of the usual suspects in the top 5 to have a bad year?

As long as there are the Blue Devils, Cadets, and Cavies, are the Blue Knights, and corps like them, doomed ("slotted") to mid level placements?

Would really like to have a serious discussion about this. Thank you.

It's really simple. As good as they are they are not executing their show as well as the corps ahead of them. Madison and Boston both have a better overall package and are executing better.

It's really simple. As good as they are they are not executing their show as well as the corps ahead of them. Madison and Boston both have a better overall package and are executing better.

Not based on what happened last night with Boston. :satisfied: If that was realistic then BK will easily be over Madison, considering Madison hasn't beat Boston for awhile. All theories, but Madison and Boston are definitely in range of BK, I wouldn't count them out at all. 8th is a definite possibility.

(No offense, but most people usually count out BK)

Or is it because the corps above them are ALWAYS better than them? (which is kind of hard to believe, wouldn't you think BKs would break through at least one year?)

In my opinion. yes, that is precisely the answer. Allowing of course that judging is not precise and you can make a legimate case that in any given year a corps deserved be placed + or - one or two placements from their actual result. You drew a line at the top 5 for thus discussion. I am sure that one could make the case that when BK took 6th they should have been 5th (or 7th for that matter), but can you make the case that anything other than the product on the field has prevented BK from achieving several top 5 results?

Not in my opinion.

So, for the past 10 years, all the corps above them have executed their shows better than BKs have theirs? I'm not trying to be a smarta** btw. If this is truly the case, does the staff at BKs know this?

How do staff members get their kids to execute better than the other corps? Is the answer only known in Concord, Rosemont, and Allentown?

Not based on what happened last night with Boston. :satisfied: If that was realistic then BK will easily be over Madison, considering Madison hasn't beat Boston for awhile. All theories, but Madison and Boston are definitely in range of BK, I wouldn't count them out at all. 8th is a definite possibility.

(No offense, but most people usually count out BK)

Silly boy - you always entertain!

Silly boy - you always entertain!

How so? Because I'd LOVE to know.

Sorry I'm not a Madison or Boston homer, but putting Madison and Boston on a completely different level as BK is just plain stupid. BK's visual performance scores beg to differ with your statement of them out executing BK. Show design is about equal among the three. I'm not saying BK's better, but they sure aren't worse than the above 2. I'd say they're about equal. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, but they balance out pretty well.

In my opinion. yes, that is precisely the answer. Allowing of course that judging is not precise and you can make a legimate case that in any given year a corps deserved be placed + or - one or two placements from their actual result. You drew a line at the top 5 for thus discussion. I am sure that one could make the case that when BK took 6th they should have been 5th (or 7th for that matter), but can you make the case that anything other than the product on the field has prevented BK from achieving several top 5 results?

Not in my opinion.

This I can believe a little more than most theories. But the product BKs puts on the field is totally different than BD, PR, Cadets, etc.

So, if BKs decided to put a BD type show on the field and executed it like BD, would that break them into the top 5 or top 3 even?

If that's the case, then should all drum corps strive to be like the perennial top 5 corps if they ever want to be a top 5 corps? If the answer is yes, then is something wrong with drum corps? Do we want 12 Blue Devil corps every year?