Let's examine the Blue Knights

BK's visual package is lacking this year, they've never had the toughest drill. Though the last minute or so of their show this year REALLY cooks. It's too bad, I think they're kind of getting hosed too, their hornline is god #### great

So, for the past 10 years, all the corps above them have executed their shows better than BKs have theirs? I'm not trying to be a smarta** btw. If this is truly the case, does the staff at BKs know this?

How do staff members get their kids to execute better than the other corps? Is the answer only known in Concord, Rosemont, and Allentown?

It's pretty obvious..... Since the Cadets/Blue Devils/Cavaliers and the other top corps have a recent history of excellence and finishing at the top of the activity every single year, they attract the most talented people to become members. I would bet if you took the time to listen to every single member of the Blue Knights' brass line play their instrument solo, and then did the same for the Blue Devils... the collective difference would be pretty huge in quality of sound, musicality, technique, etc.... No, I'm not saying BK does not have some very talented members, just as a whole, the talent level is consistently at the top for the best groups. There is only a finite number of really outstanding musicians willing to participate in drum corps.... not near enough to go around for that many corps. I would assume the same goes for colorguard.

Also, the top corps' staff know exactly how to design a show that can get maxed out score wise by championships. Other staffs struggle to do this, and their jobs are made more difficult by the lower talent levels. In my own opinion, Crown possibly has as much talent as the big 3 (based on my own observations of their performance levels), but they have yet to write a show that can max out the sheets like the big 3.

• Like 1

This I can believe a little more than most theories. But the product BKs puts on the field is totally different than BD, PR, Cadets, etc.

So, if BKs decided to put a BD type show on the field and executed it like BD, would that break them into the top 5 or top 3 even?

If that's the case, then should all drum corps strive to be like the perennial top 5 corps if they ever want to be a top 5 corps? If the answer is yes, then is something wrong with drum corps? Do we want 12 Blue Devil corps every year?

No, All corps should strive to be themselves (something all the corps have shown they learned this year). We finally have some variety and depth to styles, design and swagger again. Let's not go backward.

Enjoy BK for who they are and what they achieve ... stop sweating a placement. It doesn't matter. BK has diehard fans .... just as it should be. So do the other corps you have mentioned.

Competitive success also has alot to do with having your staff be excellent used car salesmen in critique early in the season. BK is learning.

Back in 99, I thought BK was shafted with their placement .. and that's still my favorite show of theirs musically. I feel they are returning to what made them successful while still being themselves and not trying to fit into a cookie cutter hole that doesn't fit them.

When BK breaks the top 5 .. you will know it without having to ask. They will be just that brilliant. It's a combination of talent, staff, gameplan, salesmanship and execution. I look forward to that day, but this is not that day.

• Like 1

So, for the past 10 years, all the corps above them have executed their shows better than BKs have theirs? I'm not trying to be a smarta** btw. If this is truly the case, does the staff at BKs know this?

How do staff members get their kids to execute better than the other corps? Is the answer only known in Concord, Rosemont, and Allentown?

Not sure what you're asking here. Member and staff talent and experience vary. Concord, Rosemont, and Allentown get a lot more applicants, for one thing. They probably have more connections to identify recruits. The instructors that do the best work often get hired by the corps with the most money. Etc. etc. etc.

So, if BKs decided to put a BD type show on the field and executed it like BD, would that break them into the top 5 or top 3 even?

Yes, mostly because of the bolded part.

If that's the case, then should all drum corps strive to be like the perennial top 5 corps if they ever want to be a top 5 corps? If the answer is yes, then is something wrong with drum corps? Do we want 12 Blue Devil corps every year?

They should strive to be like them in level of performance of course, but there is nothing wrong with maintaining their identity. Crown and Bluecoats have reached the upper echelon by maintaining their own identities, so others can do it as well. What's more, just take each of the "big 3"..... they each have an extremely identifiable style from each other. A corps does not have to strive be "exactly like one of them" to win. Phantom proved this in 2008. The Cadets may be able to win it this year with a show that is completely different from the past 2 Blue Devils championship shows.

Thanks for all the responses. A lot of good points have been made. Maybe one day the BKs and Troopers will be duking it out for the title of "World Champion."

Thanks for all the responses. A lot of good points have been made. Maybe one day the BKs and Troopers will be duking it out for the title of "World Champion."

That would be outstanding! The Troopers have been there before and I really think that, regardless of where they place this year, BK may be the next corps to make a big move.

This happens in sports all the time. Fans want to explain why their team lost and often the answers simply that their team is not as good as the other. Same thing applies here. BK is simply not as good top to bottom designing and executing their shows and the talent they have isn't as good as the big boys. That's it.