How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

Your comments are respectfully noted with major exceptions;

1.) look at virtually all of the front running DCI Corps. As I stated, just about all have very successful 'feeder' Corps. Why don't the Cadets?

This is not correct. In fact only 2 finalists have Open Class corps in their organization.

2.) You are correct, DCA does offer lower 'Up Front' cost of Participation, Schedule related to Geography, and Opportunities but, THAT is directly related to the lack of Tour Costs. Traditionally, DCA members have also absorbed those costs personally. As I stated, 'Weekend Warriors', not Kids.

Not sure the point you're trying to make. The 'costs' for C2 members will be the same for any other corps members. If a DCA corps has members who can't drive to shows, they need to make arrangements to get them there. In fact lots of the 'kid's' may already be working, driving their own car, etc.. Nothing new here.

3.) Let DCA Management correct me if I am wrong but, just changing the name from 'Senior' Corps to 'All Age' does not imply 'Marketed Training Grounds' for students wanting to march DCI. WE are still DRUM CORPS, NOT 'Marching Music Ensembles'. There is a distinct difference between adopted Instrumentation by DCI, and DCA. Mr. Hopkins is attempting to force the issue now that he has been removed from the DCI BOD.

I've seen many DCA corps recruiting at HS band shows. I think that qualifies as 'marketing'. And many of those same corps are using the "we'll get you ready to march DCI" line as part of their pitch.

4.) Let's call it like it is.... YEA is a 'BAND' organization, also under the control of George Hopkins. DCA is not A BAND Organization, and NEVER has been.

YEA was (and IMO still is) all about drum corps (ie the Cadets). Marching band activities support the corps. ( Besides drum corps have always been marching bands (although most marching bands aren't drum corps). But that's another threadcool.gif )

5.) Lastly, as for your statement about fairness, Since 1969 as part of the DCA, my own corps have not changed the number of hours spent at rehearsal. Yes, day's and hours have changed due to travel constraints and expenses but, they still do not rehearse any more total hours then we did years ago. Mid Week rehearsal has given way to the Weekend camps which I agree in total are just as productive as my traveling from Long Island to Hawthorne NJ ( 2 Nights a week and 1 Sunday a Month during the winter in an Armory somewhere).

Summation; My opinion ( and I am entitled to it ) Keep George Hopkins, and his Clout out of the DCA unless the DCA remains in control. Give them ( DCI entries ) there own Division if they wish. That can be considered the 'Marching Music Ensemble Sand Box for experimentation of difference Voicing, and design for the DCA without effecting what made the DCA what it is today. In Time, let it's merits speak for themselves else, move on and create a YEA Circuit in George's image.

Not much to say here. Hop is gonna have a corps in DCA whether you or I personally approve or not.

As for the Cabs total rehearsal hours per season not changing since 1969, I'll take you at your word. I'll just add -- that very statement speaks for itself. And I certainly don't believe that to be true for some other corps. That's one of the biggest strengths of DCA -- everyone can play the game the way they want to play it. But -- to me at least -- some people are already playing the game significantly differently than others and that clearly shows up in the results.

It's gonna be interesting to see what develops.

• Like 1

DCA is nothing what it was either back inthe 70s and will continue to evolve ( much slower pace ) but none the less evolve to accomonadate its members (which are alot younger ) Bottom line no matter how anyone feels..and people are entitled to an opinion, even if it doesnt change a thing... NO RULES ARE BEING BROKEN...If this corps changes the face of things..so be it..maybe its time....if not , so be it maybe the time isnt now. I truly believe nothing will drastically change unless the corps as a whole want it to BUT if it does no one person can be blamed and thats the same in DCI (although I know many will blame 1 person for sure.

If this corps steps up the game and others have to do more to be competitve ....well so be it.....oh thats right some would rather complain instead of doing what they need to......or throw out the current multi time winner.. I also remember a time when corps were running scared when Bush was formed. Did some need to bring their game to the table as that corps improved..HELL YES THEY DID. But that used to called good drum corps.

Well either way its cool to see things being shook up even before a corps hits the field...lol....if one corps has that much power now can you imagine how its possible to shake up every corps into being better.....lol........after all this it would be hysterical if they didnt come out or were a basic A class level...lmao :blink:

Oh Hell now I'm agreeing with Guardling... :devil:

Except I can remember b-wording about Rochester Phoenix hitting top 5 there first year out in 1975. Biggest problem was that the corps was gone by 1977. :sad:

I'll tell you how you did. You call someone for being rude and disrespectful.... By doing the same thing in kind! How classy is that?

I know many former Cadets, and I can tell you they would have handled it far better. Why? Cause that's how Hop taught em to do it.

Trust me, I could trash Jerry Mace on here daily for how he killed my old corps, as well as the few that tried to keep it going and just sealed the coffin. But I don't.

I'm not a Hop fan but I can tell you he doesn't preach behavior like you displayed. I suggest a trip to Holy Name to confess

ok Jeff, let me see if I have this straight. Gary openly insults my corps by likening a prop that was used to a sh@thouse and comparing the show to a commercial for a feminine hygeine product. Yet I mention that it was a championship corps with the highest ever score and question what Gary has ever won equally rude and disrespectful, is that right? Sorry but I can't equate the two. I do not take Gary's comments lightly. Your take on this whole situation doesn't surprise me in the least either. If you don't like how I handled the situation, oh well, it is what it is. I don't have any apologies nor do I have any regrets. If you're going to make tasteless comments like that about my corps, you will hear it from me. Promise!

Edited by George82
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Had some time to kill today. Being sick will do that to you. So I went back and reread most of this thread from 2011.

Some things really stuck out from this thread that have come true that we predicted would come true. OThers have not.

Cadets2 have been a top 5 finalist two years in a row when some people predicted they might not even make finals. With my second post in that thread CADETS2 HAS changed the top 5.

Electronics are here as we predicted they would be.

Cadets and Cadets2 are activly marketing and auditioning the two corps together.

It seems that membership WILL travel to Cadets2 from outside the geographical area to be a member of Cadets2 regardless of some of the chatter in this thread.

Cadets2 was not the End of DCA as the title suggested. Or has the clock just not run out? Or how big of a impact have they really made on DCA as a whole?

Edited by camel lips

Or how big of a impact have they really made on DCA as a whole?

Seem to have brought in bunch o' fans at DCA that might not have been there without C2....

They seem to be enjoying themselves a lot based on what we have seen from the end zone. (Taking a walk break during Les Miis).

I agree with JIm...they brought in new fans. Design wise, I don't see a change in what others are doing based on what C2 has done. Everyone else is trying to catch Bucs and MBI.

And amping the pit would have happened C2 or no C2.

Trust me, they've been a great addition. But they haven't caused much in DCA to change that wasn't happening already

• Like 4

While I agree with what Ed and Jeff had added to this thread...

I find it unfortunate that Ed resurrected this historical thread from 2011 rather than starting a new one...

Only because of the rather misleading and obnoxious question asked in the title of the thread...

It makes it seem anew that someone is predicting imminent doom to other corps because of the existence of Cadets 2 when the point of those who have chosen to resurrect the thread is just the opposite... life has gone on just fine and they have been an asset to DCA as any top 5 corps would be.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 8/10/2011 at 11:38 PM, Olive said:

Hello

I'm a little bothered with this thread. The premise of the title of this thread is worrisome. What does a drum corps that doesn't even exist yet have so many people worried about? The OP of this thread began with the assumption that Cadets2 is going to kill other corps by taking membership. Another poster is worried the Mr. Hopkins is going to try and alter the rules of instrumentation. Rules are decided by all the members corps, Cadets2 not being one. If the Members decide to alter the rules of instrumentation, the members corps will vote on it.

Some of you have shown support to drumcorps that have barely put out a quality product in years and years and yet you have already passed judgement on a drumcorps that doesn't even have a membership to teach. OR a show to perform.

I am asking the moderators of this DCP to shut this down. If any other corps was being slandered like this, you would do so without hesitation. Please do not have a double standard.

Thank you

Olive

ps I would appreciate it if more people took advantage of proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.

... wakes up in 2019... Google's "Cadets 2"... finds nothing but manky old threads and a tombstone where an age-restricted supposed "all ages" corps used to be.  Good riddance.  Hey, tell Hopkins to say hi to Bill Cosby, they'll both be in Club Fed just outside of Allentown, how fitting.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2013 at 8:05 PM, TomPeashey said:

While I agree with what Ed and Jeff had added to this thread...

I find it unfortunate that Ed resurrected this historical thread from 2011 rather than starting a new one...

Only because of the rather misleading and obnoxious question asked in the title of the thread...

It makes it seem anew that someone is predicting imminent doom to other corps because of the existence of Cadets 2 when the point of those who have chosen to resurrect the thread is just the opposite... life has gone on just fine and they have been an asset to DCA as any top 5 corps would be.

Funny how words  and the direction of a thread can change over just a few years heh 🙂