just food for thought

Hey just something for discussion. Does anyone else feel that since it was common knowledge that all the Open/International class corps were going to compete in the WC prelims, that these corps should have been exposed to the WC sheets sooner. It has to be hard for these kids to see their scores drop 20 plus points over night. Should we just being using one sheet and let the scores fall where they fall? I am in no way saying eliminate the open and international classes. They deserve and need their own events, Just use the same sheets so they can prepare for WC prelims which for most will be their last performance of the season.

Hey just something for discussion. Does anyone else feel that since it was common knowledge that all the Open/International class corps were going to compete in the WC prelims, that these corps should have been exposed to the WC sheets sooner. It has to be hard for these kids to see their scores drop 20 plus points over night. Should we just being using one sheet and let the scores fall where they fall? I am in no way saying eliminate the open and international classes. They deserve and need their own events, Just use the same sheets so they can prepare for WC prelims which for most will be their last performance of the season.

On the flip side of that....

I would be more considered with the lowest-achieving WC corps. The judges will potentially be seeing the OC corps for either the first or second time and give them credit while thinking, "this OC corps is good for OC/not WC." While the same judges will be seeing the same design and performance problems with the lowest placing WC corps they've been dealing with all season.

If anything, I think if an OC corps wants to compete with the World Class corps, then they should join WC and compete full-time (or at least commit to competing in WC for next season in order to compete this year). That's just me, though. I like the WGI model, and I think BDB, SCVC, and maybe a few others have a superior show design & performance quality than OC and some WC corps and should be competing in WC. Or maybe the EPL/European football league model, where the highest corps can 'move up' in WC and the lowest corps can be relegated to OC for a year (or more) to regroup and improve.

I get that the classification is almost 100% about financial obligations, which makes DCI unique with almost every other similar circuit. But from a competitive standpoint I really don't like the way DCI does classification.

Perhaps things have changed, but I'm pretty sure the same judges do both Open and World class. I would be truly surprissed if there is any judge on the field during finals week getting a 'first read' on any of these shows.

Back in my day (2001-2002) we did the first half of the season with DCM, which meant we were all on the same sheets. We always looked forward to the 15-20 point boost we got when we went on the DCI tour.

The staffs/members should expect a difference in score, but by this point it's more about a chance to perform a show you love one last time. I say don't coddlethem, Corps members are competetors and they can handle it.

Perhaps things have changed, but I'm pretty sure the same judges do both Open and World class. I would be truly surprissed if there is any judge on the field during finals week getting a 'first read' on any of these shows.

Back in my day (2001-2002) we did the first half of the season with DCM, which meant we were all on the same sheets. We always looked forward to the 15-20 point boost we got when we went on the DCI tour.

The staffs/members should expect a difference in score, but by this point it's more about a chance to perform a show you love one last time. I say don't coddlethem, Corps members are competetors and they can handle it.

I know this is not the judges first read of the shows, i'm just talking about using the world class criteria sooner in the season

I'm sure they were expecting that going into it. Plus everything I've always heard is that the difference between WC and OC is roughly 20 points (which today seems to be agreeing with), so these corps could have just been doing the math all season.

The sheets aren't that much different are they?

I thought the only difference was that there wasn't really a Box 5 on the Open class sheets.

In honor of championships, I'll share an old one with you guys:

"What do Box 1 and Box 5 have in Common?"

"There is no recovery."