Open class at WC prelims

I am a World Class Alum and as a band director in small schools I now have so much respect for what Open class does. Just a point for discussion....

Since it was common knowledge that OC would be competing in WC prelims, should they have been exposed to the WC sheets earlier in the season to help them better prepare. It has to be hard for these kids to see their scores dropping 20 plus points. Should we just have one sheet and let the scores fall where they fall? I am no way implying that there shouldn't be open class, they should have and need to have their own events, but should they be using world class sheets to prepare for WC prelims that for most will be their their last performance of the season?

Edited by bandman28

I am a World Class Alum and as a band director in small schools I now have so much respect for what Open class does. Just a point for discussion....

Since it was common knowledge that OC would be competing in WC prelims, should they have been exposed to the WC sheets earlier in the season to help them better prepare. It has to be hard for these kids to see their scores dropping 20 plus points. Should we just have one sheet and let the scores fall where they fall? I am no way implying that there shouldn't be open class, they should have and need to have their own events, but should they be using world class sheets to prepare for WC prelims that for most will be their their last performance of the season?

I think you would doing a disservice to the Open Class corps by using sheets for the majority of their shows that simply aren't meant for them. None of the OC corps are capable of hitting Box 5 on WC sheets, and many (most?) would never even touch Box 4 (70-89 on WC sheets). I don't think it's right for the performers and staff to not receive meaningful feedback and evaluation. The thing that makes Open Class crazy is the achievement gap. The difference between the top 3 and bottom 5 corps is so immense that WC scores are just about useless for many OC corps. For the corps that don't have a shot at semis, today is just for fun.

• Like 1

I think you would doing a disservice to the Open Class corps by using sheets for the majority of their shows that simply aren't meant for them. None of the OC corps are capable of hitting Box 5 on WC sheets, and many (most?) would never even touch Box 4 (70-89 on WC sheets). I don't think it's right for the performers and staff to not receive meaningful feedback and evaluation. The thing that makes Open Class crazy is the achievement gap. The difference between the top 3 and bottom 5 corps is so immense that WC scores are just about useless for many OC corps. For the corps that don't have a shot at semis, today is just for fun.

good points, thats why I threw it out there

...while there is something to what you've said, I think if DCI wants to bring back the activity as an entirety everyone needs to be on the same sheets. Maybe 'cause I'm so old school (don't let that admission fool you, tho, I still teach (both divisions), sit on a OC BOD and instruct a few HS bands in my area and actually won a Div III championship as Exec. Director) but I've never, ever, liked the change from unified scoring. I really don't care if I get a 20, and my kids don't either, because the overriding philosophy I teach is that the greatest opponent you have in this life is oneself. Scores are relative...education is key. No surprises, just do it.

Run what you brung...JMHO.

cg

Edited by chasgroh
  • Like 1

...while there is something to what you've said, I think if DCI wants to bring back the activity as an entirety everyone needs to be on the same sheets. Maybe 'cause I'm so old school (don't let that admission fool you, tho, I still teach (both divisions), sit on a OC BOD and instruct a few HS bands in my area and actually won a Div III championship as Exec. Director) but I've never, ever, liked the change from unified scoring. I really don't care if I get a 20, and my kids don't either, because the overriding philosophy I teach is that the greatest opponent you have in this life is oneself. Scores are relative...education is key. No surprises, just do it.

Run what you brung...JMHO.

cg

Not sure if it's a popular or unpopular opinion but I tend to agree with you Charlie. I wonder whose feelings they're worried about putting the OC on a different scale. I think most kids would rather see the scores on a continuum with the WC.

Couple of corps would score awfully low numbers early in the year but the numbers are never the issue anyway.