Readjusting Without Braces - Trumpet

Mike330

I'm a trumpet player and got my braces off 2 years ago. Since then, I've have the hardest time adjusting to playing normally, still to this day it is a problem. I find my mouthpiece stays over my top lip but much lower than normal and it is harder to play. The other thing is the sides of my mouth seem to slip and i hear a buzzing noise from them. It is very annoying and I want to go back to being able to play like I did with braces because this was never a problem. Using the P.E.T.E. has helped a little bit but still I would love advice. It seems high notes are harder to hit than low notes too.

Mike

I'm a trumpet player and got my braces off 2 years ago. Since then, I've have the hardest time adjusting to playing normally, still to this day it is a problem. I find my mouthpiece stays over my top lip but much lower than normal and it is harder to play. The other thing is the sides of my mouth seem to slip and i hear a buzzing noise from them. It is very annoying and I want to go back to being able to play like I did with braces because this was never a problem. Using the P.E.T.E. has helped a little bit but still I would love advice. It seems high notes are harder to hit than low notes too.

Mike

Okay. First off, I never had braces so keep that in mind for the rest of this. From your description of mouthpiece position, I had the same issue when I was your age. The only way I was able to solve it was to STOP PLAYING and with the help of a private teacher, reposition the piece on my lips starting with an embouchure ring, practicing in a mirror. If you don't have a private teacher get one - even if just to fix this problem. The other thing I'll mention is a book titled "Musical Calisthenics For Brass" by Carmine Caruso. I am using this with a student who recently had braces "installed" to retrain the embouchure.

• Like 1

Okay. First off, I never had braces so keep that in mind for the rest of this. From your description of mouthpiece position, I had the same issue when I was your age. The only way I was able to solve it was to STOP PLAYING and with the help of a private teacher, reposition the piece on my lips starting with an embouchure ring, practicing in a mirror. If you don't have a private teacher get one - even if just to fix this problem. The other thing I'll mention is a book titled "Musical Calisthenics For Brass" by Carmine Caruso. I am using this with a student who recently had braces "installed" to retrain the embouchure.

I'll look into it, thanks! I went to middle school with a kid named Carmine Caruso lol

I'll look into it, thanks! I went to middle school with a kid named Carmine Caruso lol

If that BFHS is where I think that it is, your high school band director (Mr. Taylor) would be a great person to talk to about this. He is a phenomonal brass instructor!!

• Like 1

I've worked with a number of junior and senior high students in their transition from braces to without. It has yet to be an easy thing. One would think it would make playing easier...and in the long run, it does. But at first, it's quite the shock.

With braces, one makes many adjustments...most of which the player is unaware. The mouthpiece will get placed in a less than optimal position simply because the 'optimal' one doesn't work due to the bands.

You got good advice from G-Horns. Two...perhaps even four weeks off would allow your sense of what is 'right' to diminish. Find a good private teacher, and upon return use the devices G horns mentions (Mouthpiece ring visualizer is a GREAT tool for this...essentially the rim of the mouthpiece soldered onto a long metal stick...so you can be in front of a mirror working on your placement).

While Caruso has many devotees, some of his ideas (especially his advice to breathe only through the nose...) seem unworkable. By working with a trumpet player who enjoys success and fine playing, you'll get exposed to a variety of schools of thought. A good teacher will not be doctrinaire, but will help you find what works for you.

It's an investment of money to be sure...but the money should pale in comparison to your investment of your own energy and desire to be better. Without that, the money means nothing.

Good Luck!

Edited by FHdork

If that BFHS is where I think that it is, your high school band director (Mr. Taylor) would be a great person to talk to about this. He is a phenomonal brass instructor!!

Yup that's him!

While Caruso has many devotees, some of his ideas (especially his advice to breathe only through the nose...) seem unworkable. By working with a trumpet player who enjoys success and fine playing, you'll get exposed to a variety of schools of thought. A good teacher will not be doctrinaire, but will help you find what works for you.

I thought the nose breathing was a bit much too, but after doing some research I discovered that Caruso's intent was essentially a muscular workout, not a performance technique. It is pretty much isometrics for the face. Couldn't agree more that a good private teacher is an essential ingredient in the process.