Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

It would be interesting to read some thoughts from folks who marched the Red Team after 1992 to get their take, as they witnessed a number of ED changes. Speaking from experience, I think that the kids would respond very well to someone like Rick South being a part of the brass program again; I know Rick is in different phase of life, but dang--- what an opportunity.

Rick South helped out with Vanguard Cadets this past season up until they left for DCI.

Rick South helped out with Vanguard Cadets this past season up until they left for DCI.

Rick was very involved in 2009. That was an outstanding hornline.

• Like 1

And there's nothing wrong with the staff. It's the first year for the brass staff. No staff walks in and makes a championship corps. It takes some time to make the adjustments, at least SCV is working towards consistency, which will help their placements in a few years.

And of course from reading this, one can understand the great gulf divide that is currently found within the SCV fan and alumni base. There are clearly people like this poster here that believe " there's nothing wrong with this past year's staff" and do not want any changes as they believe what SCV needs most is staff " consistency " in order to build for the future which in their view... with new staff... always takes time to produce placements results that'll show up " in a few years ". Then there are those who arn't interested in the long view, and want a quick fix and are prepared to clean house to go in a different direction in the quest for what they believe can be a quick movement up in placement. This week, it appears that the latter group, and not the former group, is winning out. It appears that SCV BOD is looking for a quick fix and is prepared to change staff in hopes of a quicker turnaround here. SCV is not looking " for consistency " in either staff, nor in " time " right now it would appear. SCV seems to be stating with these brass staff changes that they believe ( unlike this poster ) that in their judgement there WAS something " wrong with the staff " and they intend to correct this, whether some of their SCV fans and alums like the current 2011 brass and music staff, current music played, etc.. or not.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

So much B.S. and not enough honesty. They did have one of the worst hornlines in the top 12 and this in now proven by the fact that SCV has done a brass staff change. Nuff said. Come on, members of this forum, start being honest and stop throwing out so many excuses.

Also...let's all admit that SCV 2010 and 2011 are not at the top of most DCI fan playlists. They need to go back to entertaining people.

The ACTUAL judges had them at 8th, so that means they were better than 4 other hornlines, right? That's what 8 out of 12 means, unless my math is wrong.

I don't think the full staff change was the best idea they had, but I'm going to trust the organization about this. The Bluecoats have had pretty good brasslines, so I think they should know how to make it work. And the tuba section should be pretty amazing.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 3

Rick was very involved in 2009. That was an outstanding hornline.

It was great having Rick around. He really helped out the corps. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in and help out, the first time he came to talk to us, he brought in the 1987 Ott trophy, and told us how we could have another one that year. It didn't work, we got close, but he sure helped motivate us when he was there.

• Like 1

It appears that SCV BOD is looking for a quick fix and is prepared to change staff in hopes of a quicker turnaround here. SCV is not looking " for consistency " in either staff, nor in " time " right now it would appear. SCV seems to be stating with these brass staff changes that they believe ( unlike this poster ) that in their judgement there WAS something " wrong with the staff " and they intend to correct this, whether some of their SCV fans and alums like the current 2011 brass and music staff, current music played, etc.. or not.

One thing everyone needs to understand. The SCV BOD has NOTHING to do with the hiring and firing of the corps staff! That is the responsibility of the corps director. The BOD hires the director and then turns TOTAL control of the corps over to him or her.

It is the job of the director to build a winning team. Once that team had been established, then keeping that team together and motivated becomes paramount (consistency). Since GR passed on the resigns of directorship the corps has had only one director who has been able to put together a winning team. Unfortunately the BOD had to let that director go as a business decision, not a corps performance issue. The current director was hired (imo) because of his ability to build a winning team. So far, he hasn’t been successful. How long the current BOD gives him to complete that task, is up to them.

• Like 1

The ACTUAL judges had them at 8th, so that means they were better than 4 other hornlines, right? That's what 8 out of 12 means, unless my math is wrong.

Weren't they 11th in brass in semis? I may be mistaken... It is also not a good thing when a corps that placed two spots below you overall beats you in brass in finals.

• Like 1

Weren't they 11th in brass in semis? I may be mistaken... It is also not a good thing when a corps that placed two spots below you overall beats you in brass in finals.

11th in prelims, but 8th the other two nights. That would probably make prelims the anomoly, not the other nights.

• Like 1

11th in prelims, but 8th the other two nights. That would probably make prelims the anomoly, not the other nights.

Honestly, I thought the only night that was even remotely close was prelims. Paul Mcgarr was the only judge that had enough guts to put them were they belonged. Make no mistake about it, that horn line was awful. IMO they were lucky to finish in the top 12, and that is not based solely on volume. There were numerous groups that played more together and with better sounds than SCV did.

• Like 2