Question

I just got back from the theater, and I am wondering what the little black things on the lead pipes of all the brass instruments of several corps are (Boston and Blucoats I know have them, I think others do as well) is it a microphone?

A couple of comments while I am at it.....I think Troopers horn line is very under rated, but they suffered from the goo tonight (maybe the speakers were too close to the recording mics?) Also dont you think its strange that 2 of the past 3 years Academy (who I loved tonight) and Cavies have the same thematic elements int heir show? (09 the both did mountain show, this year they both use Fugue in D minor)

Also on last thought.....Crown is awesome, and should be in the mix for the title....I just dont know how they are 4th and 3 points down. Rach on!

• Like 1

I just got back from the theater, and I am wondering what the little black things on the lead pipes of all the brass instruments of several corps are (Boston and Blucoats I know have them, I think others do as well) is it a microphone?

A couple of comments while I am at it.....I think Troopers horn line is very under rated, but they suffered from the goo tonight (maybe the speakers were too close to the recording mics?) Also dont you think its strange that 2 of the past 3 years Academy (who I loved tonight) and Cavies have the same thematic elements int heir show? (09 the both did mountain show, this year they both use Fugue in D minor)

Also on last thought.....Crown is awesome, and should be in the mix for the title....I just dont know how they are 4th and 3 points down. Rach on!

Berps!

Ok - i'll explain. Theyre basically fake plastic lead pipes that you stick your mouthpiece into while buzzing. It allows you to buzz with variable resistance (there are holes which you can cover or close), and it also makes you hold your horn up while buzzing (so i hated em') :tongue:

"The Show The Audience Skipped" Judges, SERIOUSLY? BD Belong in 5th ( and that is being Generous )

Should be TIED: Cavies/Cadets - THESE are SHOWS that incorporate MUSIC & MARCHING & EXCITEMENT & SOUND!

CAVALIERS X...Y the rest are Zzzzzzzzz's

• Like 1

"The Show The Audience Skipped" Judges, SERIOUSLY? BD Belong in 5th ( and that is being Generous )

Should be TIED: Cavies/Cadets - THESE are SHOWS that incorporate MUSIC & MARCHING & EXCITEMENT & SOUND!

CAVALIERS X...Y the rest are Zzzzzzzzz's

Yawn - welcome to dcp.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils don't belong in 5th...you have to remember that the shows aren't totally judged on design...it is judged on execution. The Blue Devils execute their show very well. They are clean, both visually and musically. Their brass is excellent, and although they took 4th in brass last night, they still have an excellent sound.

Their visual performance was off a little, as I saw some iffy footwork in a few places, but this corps carries themselves well, and they are very professional about what they do.

They did win Visual Ensemble.

I don't want the Blue Devils to win - I want the Cadets to win - but I do think the Blue Devils should get some more respect from some of the people on here. I may not like a lot of the stuff they do on the field, but you have to admit, they are a pretty darned good corps. Whatever show the staff gives them, they do well. That is why they are perennially a top 3 corps. They belong right where they are, right in the mix of things at 2nd - to a Cadets group that is performing the hell out of an awesome show, and above a Cavaliers corps that had some visual problems last night. I believe it is possible the Cavaliers can catch them, and BD end up taking 3rd - but definitely no lower than that.

Crown won brass - and I hope this stays that way on Finals night. Was also surprised to see Cadets right behind them in brass - did not see that coming at all.

Geez I dont even mention BD in my post, and it turns into a BD hate thread....is it me? lol

Just a quick response to the question regarding the "goo" and Troopers:

where I was sitting (241), it was very subtle and almost inaudible at times. (hooray!!!) I wonder if DCI's recording folks would work with the corps to help them place the amps away from the field mics?