Blue Stars - Let's Look at Their Show

I think that the Shapiro ship has finally sailed its last voyage and sunk with the Stars. Need to get a top notch guard caption head that can bring the talent and the creative maturity; not a crutch of props! BonVoyage Tarpon man!

I'm willing to give Sullivan one or two more years.

Not too impressed with the job the visual staff did, either! They were definitely "out of step" with things!

Drum staff; retain, retain, retain! They got the job done and have that section on the right path!

Yeah, I'm griping; but I really, really expected more from that corps. The show concept was awesome; but, in the end, it just didn't climb the ladder as everyone was hoping. It's my hope that the talent will stay with the Blue Stars and not leave. It's also my hope that actions will be taken and evaluations will take place to get the corps up to the level that a lot of folks would like.

FYI: This wasn't Shapiro's show. Others were the originators. Shapiro never did this show with a HS band.

Ok, maybe people have been mentioning all of the Blue Devils' props. But 2 years ago, the Blue Stars had 30 tables on the field. Last year, they had 20 wooden crates. This year they had ONE prop. And they get murdered over it? I just find that hilarious. Sorry.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fact that Blue Stars had a prop per se. Personally I think the tables were kinda meh, but the crates were great. It all depends on how well the props are used.

Although, I would like to see what they could do with no props. Maybe that'd be a good exercise for the designers. I know they've had props back to 08. Did they have props in 06 or 07?

• 3 weeks later...

After watching this show's semifinal performance several times now, I honestly believe this show suffered from bad design flaw. If the the members had been given a better visual show, and more contrasting music, as it does tend to sounds the same, they would have done much better, because these kids performed the crap out of what they were given to work with. Unfortunately, the music selectors and visual staff didn't come through for them.

This show falls in the same category for me as Power and Grace. A more talented overall membership than the previous year but in the end the design held the memberships potential back. What did they do the year after Power and Grace........oh yeah, they fixed the problem and jumped from 14th to 8th. No worries.

Blue Stars drop three places Bluecoats drop four places and the Blue Devils drop one place. I would like to point out that the Blue Stars were not the only corps not able to sell their 2011 show concept. Thank god for the Blue Knights they were the only Blue Team to sell their show.

If they didn't sell their show they would be 13th or below in placing.

If they didn't sell their show they would be 13th or below in placing.

I dont know that ive ever disagreed with a post as much as this one, ever.

Can this not be said for any corps? They had a very difficult, and entertaining, show and for the most part performed the heck out of it

• Like 2

The problem this year was not with the music or drill. IMO both sections pushed the envelope as far as difficulty, I mean their battery was laying down some sick beats and the brass book was very difficult especially from a musicality standpoint i.e. the ballad. Visually it seemed like they never stopped moving, but the judges obviously don't care about that otherwise Crown would have been given more credit visually. The show to me just didn't evolve through the season. I think that's what caused their problems.

• Like 1

The problem with last year's show, to me, was just lack of change through the show. It all just ran together for me, it seemed like all of the music sounded pretty similar, and lacked the contrast to be interesting. That's just me though, it was a well performed show, just not their best product since they've been making Finals.