Repeat of 2008?

I don't analyze recaps; perhaps a glance but that's it. I'd like to see what people would say if BD defeats Cadets tomorrow.

I'd say BD really performed and cadets didn't.

out of the 10 sheets tonight, Cadets have 2 sheets where the performer is over the book, and 2 sheets where performer and book are tied. They still have room to grow, especially in visual.

BD has 1 sheet performer over book and 2 sheets where performer and book are tied. some room to grow too.

but...you have to factor Cavies in there as well. 4 2nds and a sheet win. BD only won 3 sheets. Crown won brass, Cadets the other 5. BD's lowest placements are in GE music. that could call the show right there

i hope BD wins, otherwise we'll get a bad recording of America again...

:spitting:

I don't analyze recaps; perhaps a glance but that's it. I'd like to see what people would say if BD defeats Cadets tomorrow.

Kind of hard to talk about the judging if you don't look at what the judges actually have to say, no?

Nevertheless, if BD beats Cadets tomorrow, I'd say that Saturday's panel thought BD was better. I'd guess there's less than 10% chance of that happening - the Cadets got pretty good spreads in GE on Thur/Fri and that's usually a good indicator of who is getting a ring.

The Cadets are not going to lose-

If there is any major change- I see the Cavies pulling out 2nd.

IF THERE EVER WAS A TIE: CAVIES & CADETS should SHARE THE TITLE!

BD - STAND.PLAY PICK UP STICKS. IN 5th!

• Like 3

BD's show is way too easy this year. It was essentially perfect in Atlanta. Cadets designed a program that would require them to improve until Finals night in order to win. They deserve it and BD risks falling to third after they peaked a few days back. BD played it safe this year and they're missing out on their first 3-peat as a result. For the record, I love their show, but I recognize playing it safe and that's what I'm calling it this year.

Also, Cavies have weird flow issues this year. Their show doesn't really go anywhere for awhile. Do they have the designers to win anymore?

• Like 2

I think I remember the reaction of the crowd in Phantom's defeat of BD in the Final, after BD took Prelims and Semis, the crowd went absolutely NUTS!

This time around, if BD somehow manages to defeat the Cadets, I think we would be looking at a riot... or at least the complete opposite reaction of that in 2008. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

For DCI's sake... even if BD is the better corps tomorrow night, they better award the Cadets the championship; otherwise, it may very well leave a very bad taste in the mouths of many fans, which may not be good for the organization.

I must say though, it would be interesting to see what the reaction should be, were BD to defeat Cadets tomorrow. No doubt that the Cadets are one of the crowd favs this year.

The drama is deliciously absurd!

What do you think?

Just to add: BD was ahead of Phantom in the 2008 Semis by .375; not too far from the .5 margin that Cadets have over BD this year.

Sorry, don't think so. As much as I prefer cadets show over BD's, if they go out and lay a turd, they need to get what they deserve based on the performance.

I REALLY don't mean this to sound snarky, but that's why you're thinking conspiracy or digging for a conspiracy that doesn't exist. The recaps are a pretty clear (and easy to read/understand) indication on why a corps scores where they did. In 2008 BD had superior vis, Phantom had superior music, and BD's under-achieving percussion was the achilles heal: this was a problem for much of the season, but Phantom had the show of their season Saturday night at Finals while BD's percussion had a worse-than-average show. It's not a mystery, and it's not a conspiracy: it just is what it is.

If you analyze the sheets from 2011 Quarters and Semis, you see the trend that Cadets are up in GE, with Vis and Music a wash, with either BD or Cadets winning either major caption. I suspect BD will be on top by a hair in Vis at Finals, with Music going to however high BD's percussion scores. But I think Cadets' GE will be enough to propel them to the Championship. If not, it will be because Blue Devils had a crystal clean performance and were able to win Vis and Music by just enough to overcome Cadets' GE. I don't think that will happen, but it wouldn't shock me if BD pull a Regiment and repeat 2008.

And if BD DOES repeat 2008, it will not be because of back-room conspiracy: it will be because they perform better than Cadets. It really is as simple as that

* and to be blunt, I'm pretty positive that few if any judges would drop their egos and integrity to arbitrarily chose an undeserving winner. Further, the panels are two big and diverse for there to be some summit where the judges decide who will win and by what margin. You do sometimes get a judge who tends to want to call a show sometimes (for example, put a HUGE spread in their caption to try and swing placement a bit), but it's not necessarily because they want a corps to win it all, but more because they just really like one groups show more than the other. But judges who are reputable enough to judge DCI Finals are not going to mess around with giving numbers they don't buy into for the greater (perceived) good of the activity.

Also, Cavies have weird flow issues this year. Their show doesn't really go anywhere for awhile. Do they have the designers to win anymore?

This show reminds me a lot of Cadets 2000, only with one MAJOR difference.

Cadets 2000 to me was a well performed and good enough design, but for the most part to me felt like a typical Cadets show: good, but not amazing. The difference that catapulted that show to amazing was the 90 seconds/2 minutes towards the end that wowed the crap out of everyone: the drum solo, tenor break, and brass feature.

C

avaliers do something similar this year, only IMO their "wow" moments are FAR more interesting/entertaining/over-the-top than Cadets 2000. Their opener and closer are good, solid movements, but that middle tune really blows just about everything else away.

Their problem, though, is that their 'money shots,' so to speak, come too early in the program. I realize, and understand (and really like) the storyline of their show, and the progression of the main character. Putting the money shots in the middle makes sense in context of their show. But from an audience stand-point, and effect stand point, after blowing me away with the middle part, the last movement doesn't seem to go anywhere in comparison. Their additions help (the upside down DM conducting/bow is a REAL entertaining bonus, and their last awesome drill move with the lines moving/jumping over each other is awesome), but nothing they're going to do is going to top that middle section, short of defying gravity and levitating (oops: hope I don't spoil their surprise ending for tomorrow).

I think that had Cavaliers programed that stuff at the end, retooled their story arc, and put all of their money shots in the last 2 minutes of the show it's possible they would be running away with it right now. At the very least, they would have the judges blown away immediately before writing down a number, rather than blowing the judges away in the middle, having the judges come off the high for the last third of the show, and then not coming close to topping the money shots: thus disappointing judges.

** also, I think because Gaines has done so many incredible, redefining visual concepts in the last fifteen years with the Cavaliers, we expect him to write a combination of the Diamond Cutter, DNA Strands, Fight Club, and stretchy block. Every. Single. Count of the show.

I was discussing this with my wife tonight, where she teasingly says stuff like 'He doesn't have an amazing "wow" move this year and the drill is just meh.' IMO the way Gaines stages, and lets his forms develop is unparalleled. I LOVE watching his vis design develop, move, and seemingly breathe for 12 minutes. But she's right: there is no redefining vis move this year, and I think that's a disappointment for some fans who (unfairly but expectedly) assume that will happen yearly.

• Like 1