Open Class Finals review

Due to the cancellation of the prelims event - after only two corps had performed, all 16 Open class and 2 International corps competed in finals. I always enjoy the open class events. The corps are very entertaining. The fans very appreciative. I just wanted to provide some thoughts on each corps along with some pictures. I didn't take notes, so this isn't a full review, but hopefully this will convey my enjoyment of these corps and this day of drum corps.

Spirit of Newark - the show began, the same as Monday, with Spirit of Newark. Unlike the previous day, the jitters were gone and the corps members seemed to have a good time presenting their Spanish Flavors show. Monday was their first competitive show of the year and I am glad they were able to make it to finals. The show featured a very good trumpet soloist and this very enthusiastic performer in the pit who also provided some conducting leadership to the group. The music was familiar and hummable, something that you want from a group of this size and ability. All in all an enjoyable show.

dcp-1.jpg

Blue Saints - the corps presented their show Stranded about an airline crash with people stranded on a deserted island. The show starts with their Air Cancorps plane taking off. The corps featured a very enthusiastic snare line, some challenging music and an easy to follow storyline. The corps continues to find ways to keep competing despite many challenges. As with Spirit of Newark, they put out a stronger performance on Tuesday.

dcp-2.jpg

Racine Scouts - Their Resurrection show featured some beautiful musical moments including Ave Maria. The brass line was well balanced while the small battery provided a solid rhythmic foundation.

dcp-3.jpg

Les Stentors - I'm not sure about their repertoire. I don't have it and it isn't on DCP. What I remember about the show was the expressive guard work and some solid pit playing.

dcp-4.jpg

Colt Cadets - always a crowd favorite, the Cadets did not disappoint me with their show Notorious. With some challenging music by Copland, Rota and Shostakovich the corps was well balanced musically. I particularly enjoyed watching the pit and battery.

dcp-5.jpg

Jubal - DCI fans are fortunate that Jubal chose to spend their 100th anniversary on the DCI tour. I saw them in Atlanta earlier in the season. The Back to the Future theme seems to take some shots at old school drum corps, while recognizing its historical importance. The lead character does all she can to bring the corps into the modern era. At one point she tries to help the drum major conduct and finally succeeds in transforming her with a quick uniform change, leading into a great rendition of Remembrance.

dcp-6.jpg

Forte - I had the pleasure of seeing Forte a few times this summer and see the show develop. The show "DreamZzz" starts with a father trying to get her daughter to go to sleep. The daughter resists but eventually climbs in bed. Using Brahm's Lullaby as a recurrent theme throughout the show, the music includes Eric Whitacre's Sleep and Burly Brawl from the Matrix. After falling asleep, there is a calm dream sequence before entering a more nightmarish phase, ending with bringing dreams to life as the guard uniforms change from pajamas to a more typical costume.

dcp-7.jpg

Raiders - Seems like almost an entirely different show from what I saw in June and early July due to significantly improved performance. The Bluecentric show explores various shades of blue and how that one basic color really can carry with it a range of emotions. The show opens with an aggressive Blue Shades and closes with Rhapsody in Blue. The narration telling us about the different shades of blue was unnecessary as the corps music conveyed those thoughts very well. Particularly loved the cymbal line - looked like they were having a lot of fun.

dcp-8.jpg

Legends - Next up the corps from just up the road in Kalamazoo. I really enjoyed their show last year and was looking forward to see what Skyscapes was all about. The music was not very familiar to me, though their opener "Cloudburst" was done recently by Blue Knights and SCV in 2008. Some great guard work, including this behind the back catch. In one of the best visual tricks of the night, there is the surprise appearence of a snare drummer with a yellow plume. Then suddenly the whole corps turns their black plumes to yellow - it appears the black covered the yellow, so it was a matter of pulling off the black cover. It all happened quite suddenly and had a great effect.

dcp-9.jpg

Yokohama Scouts - It was great to see them again at DCI for the first time since 2007. Their "In Rhapture" show was about as American as you could get with lots of George Gershwin music. Elegant is the word that came to mind watching the guard. The show was entertaining and the corps received a well deserved enthusiastic response from the crowd.

dcp-10.jpg

(continued)

Music City - The collection of music in "Let's Dance" makes you wonder what's on the iPods of the design staff. From The Nutcraker to Dancing Queen to Tennesee Waltz, each portion of the show has a different style and features different guard members as the main characters. The show starts with I Could Haved Danced All Night and concludes with all the main characters assembled together for an appreciative wave to the crowd. The corps is big with a sound to match. One of my favorite shows of the season. Well done.

dcp-11.jpg

7th Regiment - UnSquare explores a lot of different time signatures, including music appropriately in 7 and a personal favorite Take Five. I would have loved to see this show a few more times. There was a lot going on that I missed in the performances Tuesday and Thursday, my only chances to see them this season. Particularly enjoyed watching the battery.

dcp-12.jpg

Genesis - Big Top After Dark is not your typical circus show and features original music by Key Poulan appropriately called "Scenes from a Psychotic Circus", along with a rendition of Send in the Clowns. Despite some crazy moments for the lead character, things turn around as she is welcomed into the circus act.

dcp-13.jpg

Revolution - "Ride!" starts on the ground in a car but quickly takes flight. Fast paced and aggressive, Sammy Hazo's Ride closes the program.

dcp-14.jpg

Spartans - The Key Poulan original "Midnight" along with Bela's Lullaby from Twilight make for a scary show. The guard was particularly noteworthy, with great equipment work and an emotional performance.

dcp-15.jpg

Vanguard Cadets - Another Key Poulan original, the show "Balance" explores physical and emotional balance. With lots of balancing acts, the theme is clear and the narration largely unnecessary. In true Vanguard fashion, the cymbals are very involved in the show and make the trademark V.

dcp-16.jpg

Blue Devils B - Syncronicity is an amazing production, with heavy emphasis on their excellent percussion section. Going on second from the end, BDB made a statement that they were there to defend their title. All around a very enjoyable show and glad to see they kept the cymbal back flip in the show.

dcp-17.jpg

Oregon Crusaders - Going on after BDB didn't seem to phase them as they presented their show The Blue Hour. The powerful brass line was the loudest of the night. A large blue circular tarp covering a good bit of the left side of the field was used to good effect.

dcp-18.jpg

A very enjoyable evening of drum corps, well deserved championship for BDB despite a strong challenge from OC.

More pictures from this show can be found on corpsreps.com and our Facebook page

Awesome Review!

Les Stentors

musique_quebec.jpg

The Rendezvous (Claude Léveillé)

Happiness makes you the Eye (France D'Amours / François Léveillé)

Piano Solo (traditional)

The Ti-Rap Petang (traditional / The Smiling Botin)

What if you could love (Celine Dion)

And it's not over (Stéphane Venne)

Go where you go (Celine Dion)

Awesome Review!

Les Stentors

musique_quebec.jpg

The Rendezvous (Claude Léveillé)

Happiness makes you the Eye (France D'Amours / François Léveillé)

Piano Solo (traditional)

The Ti-Rap Petang (traditional / The Smiling Botin)

What if you could love (Celine Dion)

And it's not over (Stéphane Venne)

Go where you go (Celine Dion)

Thanks for the info!

(continued)

Music City - The collection of music in "Let's Dance" makes you wonder what's on the iPods of the design staff. From The Nutcraker to Dancing Queen to Tennesee Waltz, each portion of the show has a different style and features different guard members as the main characters. The show starts with I Could Haved Danced All Night and concludes with all the main characters assembled together for an appreciative wave to the crowd. The corps is big with a sound to match. One of my favorite shows of the season. Well done.

dcp-11.jpg

7th Regiment - UnSquare explores a lot of different time signatures, including music appropriately in 7 and a personal favorite Take Five. I would have loved to see this show a few more times. There was a lot going on that I missed in the performances Tuesday and Thursday, my only chances to see them this season. Particularly enjoyed watching the battery.

dcp-12.jpg

Genesis - Big Top After Dark is not your typical circus show and features original music by Key Poulan appropriately called "Scenes from a Psychotic Circus", along with a rendition of Send in the Clowns. Despite some crazy moments for the lead character, things turn around as she is welcomed into the circus act.

dcp-13.jpg

Revolution - "Ride!" starts on the ground in a car but quickly takes flight. Fast paced and aggressive, Sammy Hazo's Ride closes the program.

dcp-14.jpg

Spartans - The Key Poulan original "Midnight" along with Bela's Lullaby from Twilight make for a scary show. The guard was particularly noteworthy, with great equipment work and an emotional performance.

dcp-15.jpg

Vanguard Cadets - Another Key Poulan original, the show "Balance" explores physical and emotional balance. With lots of balancing acts, the theme is clear and the narration largely unnecessary. In true Vanguard fashion, the cymbals are very involved in the show and make the trademark V.

dcp-16.jpg

Blue Devils B - Syncronicity is an amazing production, with heavy emphasis on their excellent percussion section. Going on second from the end, BDB made a statement that they were there to defend their title. All around a very enjoyable show and glad to see they kept the cymbal back flip in the show.

dcp-17.jpg

Oregon Crusaders - Going on after BDB didn't seem to phase them as they presented their show The Blue Hour. The powerful brass line was the loudest of the night. A large blue circular tarp covering a good bit of the left side of the field was used to good effect.

dcp-18.jpg

A very enjoyable evening of drum corps, well deserved championship for BDB despite a strong challenge from OC.

More pictures from this show can be found on corpsreps.com and our Facebook page

OK I'm going to sound like a dope - that's the single best review of a drum corps show I've EVER read, going all the way back to Drum Corps News during the 60s. Man do I owe you a debt of gratitude! For those of us who simply couldn't get the time off from work to go out there, this was the next best thing.

Thanks so much!