Auditioning on tuba for Crossmen

So I've been super interested in doing DCI, and was planning on auditioning last year, but got sick with mononucleosis and so didn't try out.

I just had a few questions on things like: What the odds are of me making and succeeding in the corps this upcoming season? What are the auditions like? What's the process? Do they to a marching test? Is the music very difficult? What's the music like?

I'd appreciate answers to these questions, I don't know too many people that have marched DCI, so I don't have a whole lot of sources of information regarding these things, figured this would be the place to ask.

If any of this means anything, I consider myself a fairly good player. I've played tuba only since 8th grade, but last year as a sophomore I beat two seniors for first chair in my high schools band, and as far as physical condition goes, I think I'm in decent shape, I can do 17 pull ups and can still run a 6 and a half minute mile.

I've played tuba only since 8th grade, but last year as a sophomore I beat two seniors for first chair in my high schools band, and as far as physical condition goes, I think I'm in decent shape, I can do 17 pull ups and can still run a 6 and a half minute mile.

Well...as a tuba player, you will probably need to have been in All-State for at least a couple years to be considered, and 45 one-arm pullups and 4 and a half minute miles are pretty much the norm for DCI World Class tubists...

JK!! JK!!! : )! You sound like a great candidate! I say go for it! Of course there will be marching and playing evaluations, but just do your best and see what happens! No one ever regrets doing their best, and it is really the only way to learn and grow! If you happen to not make it, learn from the experience and practice up for next year (or better yet, audition a slightly smaller corps! and build up to it), it sounds like you have quite a fee eligible years left. If you do make it, be prepared for a lot of hard work and GO have the time of your life!

the best thing you can do is listen to what the staff tells you to work on. Then come back to the next camp and show them you listened and you improved. You also need to be able to hold the contra at the attention / horns down position, so that might be something you want to work on.

Bring a positive attitude, and know that you are not the only one that is going to wake up on Sunday and be super sore (depending on how intense your saturday rehearsals are).

Edited by soccerguy315

Well...as a tuba player, you will probably need to have been in All-State for at least a couple years

I was actually wondering, is the audition music on an All State level? Am I expected to be an All state level player to be considered for selection?

Physically you'll be fine. You'll get the audition packet when you register. When I auditioned we chose a technical and lyrical etude and played a few lines and some stuff from the packet. They're not necessarily looking for the eat player or best marcher. Be confident, have a great attitude, and be a great student. They can teach playing and marching. They can't teach the right attitude

Then what is the audition music like? A set of solos or exercises, or both? Do I have to choose a solo of my own to play for them?

from crossmen website:

Where can I find the audition music?

Only paid registrants will receive the audition music via email.

If you have paid and have not received your music after a weeks time,

please email Maureen@crossmen.org

I'm not sure about the current brass staff, but a standard is two etudes of contrasting styles and some basic technique things like long tones, lip slurs, and tonguing. That's common across DCI no matter what place. I had similar audition material for Phantom. Physically you are fine. I was overweight, couldn't do a pull up, push ups were the worst and I survived two years. (of course I got in shape for the season). Really like others said, it's all about the attitude and if you are able to be taught. Be a sponge at the audition camp. Go for it!!!