Dear DCI

Well, if the terrible events at the Fairgrounds mean that DCI's finals should always be held in domes, they must mean that all outdoor events should always be held in domes.

True, but I think we can go beyond the tragic "worst-case scenario" aspect of what happened at the fairgrounds and view this in a more practical way. There have been a few rainy moments at DCI finals, but nothing that I can recall to compare with the stormy weather that happened last night. It's one thing to have a rain-out (more accurately, a lightning/tornado warning-out) at a regular contest, but to have DCI finals rained out is something completely different. Having championship week in a dome, while not ideal in many respects, does solve a lot of safety/logistical nightmares that can be brought on by bad weather.

And please, finals web broadcast. I'd be happy to drop $30 for a Saturday night of top 12.

+1 Make it happen please.

Would like to read/here Mike C's thoughts on the first year of his revolution to make DCI "more fan friendly". I'd say he's estatic with this years start.

Was only able to get to Saturday night's festivities, due to budgetary restrictions. But, mercy, what a night of drum corps! Best collection of 12 shows I've ever witnessed in one sitting. Strong from top to bottom.

Spirit and Blue Stars had their best shows I had seen from them (qualifier - that I had seen "live"). Scouts were incredible and their closer a real winner. Phantom's closer with Elsa had me in tears it was so gorgeous. Crown's hornline might well have given me the best brass performance I'd ever heard in person from the field. Top 3 shows were awesome, all in different ways, and I was able to enjoy the BD music book for the first time in a while.

If Mike Cesario is in any way, shape or form, responsible for this uptick in show quality, then he's earned his money well.

More importantly that any of US getting the entertainment value WE want out of OUR drum corps dollar... The kids this season were the recipients of thrown babies! Somthing that I bet they will crave some more! Good for you DCI!!!!! :thumbup:

True, but I think we can go beyond the tragic "worst-case scenario" aspect of what happened at the fairgrounds and view this in a more practical way. There have been a few rainy moments at DCI finals, but nothing that I can recall to compare with the stormy weather that happened last night. It's one thing to have a rain-out (more accurately, a lightning/tornado warning-out) at a regular contest, but to have DCI finals rained out is something completely different. Having championship week in a dome, while not ideal in many respects, does solve a lot of safety/logistical nightmares that can be brought on by bad weather.

Agreed. I'm considering spending over $600 next year to fly from Texas to Indy, stay at a hotel, and watch three nights of drum corps. I would feel miserable if the entire event was postponed several days because of rain. Only the people who live in the Indy area would be able to watch the event whenever the rain lifted. Thank goodness for the dome or else last night would have been delayed to today and the crowds would have been more sparse because of everyone having to catch their return flights!

• Like 1