“Detective Nelson. Murder?! I’ll be right there.”

Thanks for posting. It's strange to have a rock show without an electric guitar, particularly when there is an actual electric guitar part to be played and it's played on a synth. Bizarre.

Considering the fact that you assumed you heard but didn't see the guitar in your OP, I'd say it worked out pretty well cool.gif

Random questions about the just-concluded season, based largely on my viewing of Prelims Thursday:

Why was there a guard member on the podium at the end of Academy's show?

Some Glassmen guard members held their hands over the ears during the synthesized effects that followed the tin-foil flag section -- was this a comment on electronics? (Speaking of the Glassmen, did you notice that a list early in the Prelims broadcast identified them as the "Glassman"?)

What kind of bird was heard calling at the end of Troopers' show?

Spirit's Detective Nelson sounded so shocked. Had he never worked homicide before?

Who did the tattooed and mohawked Blue Stars guard represent? I can't remember anyone in the Bourne movies who looked like that. The villains there mostly wore suits.

Did the Blue Knights' drum major not salute at the top of the show?

Were the newspaper props facsimiles of actual 9/11/01 NYC papers? I tried to scribble down one of the headlines visible in the broadcast, but all I got was "With his teeth and his" from what looked like a sports article. Googling that phrase was no help.

Presumably the forlorn SCV members were in Hell because of the sins they committed in life, and could escape (to Purgatory? to Heaven?) only through moral redemption – so how did running around and fighting devils help them achieve this?

Who was actually performing the opening sound effects of Bluecoats' show? There was no one in the pit just then. Was it being controlled remotely by the keyboardist, or did he press play when the pit was being set up, and was it just that the sound was turned down until then? (And whatever happened to the one-keystroke, one-note rule, anyway?)

Did Phantom's new ending seem less impressive after the announcers hyped it all Thursday evening?

As a character, how were we supposed to feel about Herbert in Crown's show? Last year he played a brute, viciously striking the heroine. This year, he was a ... cad? Was Crown saying that rock stars aren't nice people?

Should the Cavaliers have told the camera crew in advance to look for the upside-down drum major, which was nearly missed, or was it better to let it be a complete surprise? (And did you notice that he runs all the way across the field? He's like a pinball delivered through a slot in the battery into that center alley right down to the pit. Great stuff!)

When exactly did the Cadets' show start? Rondinaro and DeLucia talked right through the angel-voiced song as if it were unjudged preshow – but there was no announcement from Brandt Crocker after that.

Why didn't the Blue Devils house line up at the middle? I had assumed it did match until seeing the broadcast, when I realized that there's a difference of a few inches between the two halves. At first I thought they goofed that night, but checking the multicam from Atlanta, I see that was true there also.

And did anyone else besides Ghost and myself notice a sync problem all evening on Thursday? The visual was consistently a fraction of a second ahead of the sound.

This is a great post, chock full of trivia. Some of these I noticed, most I did not. I'll chew on this for a couple days, I think.

On the way to Indy from the east, I drove past a HUGE billboard proclaiming, in 15-foot tall letters: "Hell has no exit!" Exactly, SCV was my first thought, too.

(That area has a dozen or so religious billboards reminding drivers what awaits them if they speed in Indiana. <-- Only partly true)

Edited by garfield

Crown tried to have an electric guitar, but Herbert kept busting them into kindling.

Until he didn't.

• Like 3

Is Lee Holdridge's "East of Eden" the biggest musical discovery this season? Even though Michelle Kwan found it 13 years ago, why hasn't it been "Phantomized" until this year?

Which begs the question.... Why hasn't his music been done in DCI before? Imagine PR playing Beauty and the Beast!!!! That would be epic. They could actually do a good Beauty and the Beast show. ...of course the first time someone suggests they do the disney version, they should be promptly stabbed with Juliets dagger

• Like 1

Why didn’t the Blue Devils house line up at the middle? I had assumed it did match until seeing the broadcast, when I realized that there's a difference of a few inches between the two halves. At first I thought they goofed that night, but checking the multicam from Atlanta, I see that was true there also.

Maybe it represents one of those California houses that has been jolted from it's foundation by earthquakes.

How much different would this season be if the Cavaliers' Tenors line didn't jack around during warmups as much?

Radiohead (from 2 corps even!), Sabbath, Evanescence, Queen, Skynyrd, Alicia Keys, Seal, Lady Gaga, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, all on the field this year alone. What left-field repertoires are in store in 2012 when fan enjoyment is on the scoresheet?

• Like 1

Until he didn't.

True.

Last night, it was a bass. I was taking pics from the nosebleed section (with a major zoom lens) and it looked like it slipped out of his hands. Will need to check out the DVD. Oh, well.

True.

Last night, it was a bass. I was taking pics from the nosebleed section (with a major zoom lens) and it looked like it slipped out of his hands. Will need to check out the DVD. Oh, well.

C'mon, you know Herbert waited until the last second of his last DCI performance to tick - had to prove that he actually could!

• Like 1