Madison's Full Show on Fan Network!

(Here's the letter I sent to all of the above.)

To the songwriters and publishers of “Empire State of Mind”:

The Madison Scouts Corps (from Madison, WI) requested and were granted permission for arrangement and live performance rights to “Empire State of Mind,” which they featured as the closing piece in their competitive program this summer.

They also requested synchronization rights so that this music could be included on any recorded media of their show, such as web-posted video clips and DVDs. My understanding is that they were refused this last permission.

As a fan, it's hard for me to understand the rationale behind refusing synch rights permission, especially since the other permissions were granted. As a result of this decision, we fans – as well as the hardworking corps members and their staff – are deprived of a major highlight of our season.

I am a longtime drum corps fan but was unable to attend any drum corps contests this season, and so buying the finals-night DVD from Drum Corps International is my only way of experiencing this show. Now I am forced to miss out on the climax of the Madison Scouts' show.

Based on feedback I have heard from those who did get to see their show this summer, the Madison Scouts superbly integrated “Empire State of Mind” into their program, and the connection they achieved with their audiences was powerful, intense and the stuff memories are made of. How sad that at this stage, it appears this connection – so prized in the performance world – will not be captured on DVD and other media.

I believe that if you watch the Madison Scouts' DCI finals performance, you will review your decision, see it in a different light and grant them synchronization rights. I urge you to do so as soon as possible, so that we drum corps fans can experience the Madison Scouts 2011 program the way it was meant to be seen … and heard!

• Like 6

(Here's the letter I sent to all of the above.)

To the songwriters and publishers of “Empire State of Mind”:

The Madison Scouts Corps (from Madison, WI) requested and were granted permission for arrangement and live performance rights to “Empire State of Mind,” which they featured as the closing piece in their competitive program this summer.

They also requested synchronization rights so that this music could be included on any recorded media of their show, such as web-posted video clips and DVDs. My understanding is that they were refused this last permission.

As a fan, it's hard for me to understand the rationale behind refusing synch rights permission, especially since the other permissions were granted. As a result of this decision, we fans – as well as the hardworking corps members and their staff – are deprived of a major highlight of our season.

I am a longtime drum corps fan but was unable to attend any drum corps contests this season, and so buying the finals-night DVD from Drum Corps International is my only way of experiencing this show. Now I am forced to miss out on the climax of the Madison Scouts' show.

Based on feedback I have heard from those who did get to see their show this summer, the Madison Scouts superbly integrated “Empire State of Mind” into their program, and the connection they achieved with their audiences was powerful, intense and the stuff memories are made of. How sad that at this stage, it appears this connection – so prized in the performance world – will not be captured on DVD and other media.

I believe that if you watch the Madison Scouts' DCI finals performance, you will review your decision, see it in a different light and grant them synchronization rights. I urge you to do so as soon as possible, so that we drum corps fans can experience the Madison Scouts 2011 program the way it was meant to be seen … and heard!

:ph34r:

Nicely done, Sue!! :worthy::worthy:

I just hope these yay-hoos get the idea that we're not like a majority of their "regular" customers, who may give more consideration to bootlegging and ripping off the content for chat rooms and "the site that shall not be named"..

Hopefully you can advise us if you get any kind of response from these guys..

Pat

As of today they are trying to go directly to Jay-Z. Fingers crossed. :thumbup:

Edited by CQuinn
  • Like 1

As of today they are trying to go directly to Jay-Z. Fingers crossed. :thumbup:

I thought the version they played was strictly Alicia Keys and not the Jay-Z Alicia Keys duet version?

I think Jay-Z still has the ability to say yes to the request.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

D-a-m-m-i-t. This is a tragedy. I know some say we should be happy to have witnessed it at finals, but part of my drum corps experience includes going back and reliving those wonderful, powerful moments from years past. It's why I buy the CDs and DVDs.

Madison's show is just NOT COMPLETE without the ESOM closer and I"m sure - SURE - I will not listen to, or watch, this show without the audio. Experiencing that show without ESOM is not reliving a great experience at all.

Further, I just now went to YT and listened to the Alicia Keys version and - IS IT ME? - or does it sound nothing like what Madison put on the field? Could I be listening to the wrong version? I listened to both the Jay and Alicia version. They sound nothing like what Madison put on the field and I'm shocked that there is even a licensing issue that is involved here.

Why, again, would a letter-writing campaign NOT be worth it? If DCI holds it's ground and loses we forever miss a show. Maybe DCI needs to pony up a little more for this one, eh?

Yeah, kind of like a 'G-7' argument all on it's own, don't you say?

Edited by garfield

Will ESOM be on the CD?

Will ESOM be on the CD?

Ya

• Like 1