DCI Trivia

OK, here's an easy one: What corps' color guard is credited with being the ***first to put choreography on the field?

Bridgemen ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If the question is really what corps did he start, then answer is Wave, He started a new corps after the first Florida corps he worked with imploded.

He didnt start the Squires.

That's what I was getting at. It's from my memory of those days, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Florida Wave was a nice little corps, wearing bright orange, and had short sleeves. I also seem to remember when they left the field, they Waved. Yeah, it was hokey, but cute, it made you smile. :smile:

I remember 12 actual guard. So saying 1986 as the answer isn't accurate...they DID have a guard...just a tiiiinnnyyy one.

That's funny, because I remember 10 guard. I have no idea why I think it's that number, it's just kinda sorta what I remember.

And I think they marched 90 horns, not very loud ones at that.

Bridgemen ?

Nope, the "official" answer would be from a year before Bridgemen really started getting into the dance groove. Think of this not so much in terms of dance nowadays, but a set piece of choreography inserted into the show as a highlight.

SCV in 74???

Yup, that's the "official" answer with the ***Bottle Dance. Your turn!

(***Now, the reason I have a problem with the belief that this is the first example of choreography in drum corps is because, if you watch films of corps before Santa Clara, you can clearly see instances of choreography added to the show. For example, Kingsmen do a sort of jig (not sure if that's the correct term) in their '72 show. And I'm sure there are many more examples of that. In fact, in '73, Santa Clara performed the Bottle Dance music, but did a simpler series of steps without highlighting the rifle line in the actual dance. But maybe the reason the Bottle Dance stands out in people's minds is because it was a featured highlight in Santa Clara's show, not simply steps integrated into the overall program.)

Yup, that's the "official" answer with the ***Bottle Dance. Your turn!

(***Now, the reason I have a problem with the belief that this is the first example of choreography in drum corps is because, if you watch films of corps before Santa Clara, you can clearly see instances of choreography added to the show. For example, Kingsmen do a sort of jig (not sure if that's the correct term) in their '72 show. And I'm sure there are many more examples of that. In fact, in '73, Santa Clara performed the Bottle Dance music, but did a simpler series of steps without highlighting the rifle line in the actual dance. But maybe the reason the Bottle Dance stands out in people's minds is because it was a featured highlight in Santa Clara's show, not simply steps integrated into the overall program.)

In '72 the SCV color guard did some dance type movements during the Bottle Dance segment but did the actual Bottle Dance in '73. Someone found some old Jim Jones 8mm from 1972 that backed this up.

:cool:

In '72 the SCV color guard did some dance type movements during the Bottle Dance segment but did the actual Bottle Dance in '73. Someone found some old Jim Jones 8mm from 1972 that backed this up.

:cool:

Ah, OK, I've always had trouble keeping my years straight on this, so thanks for the correction. I'm sure that Maggie Bell could offer some further clarification on this!

If I'm not mistaken, the 1971 Troopers and the 1971 Cavaliers both danced in their shows. Troopers rifles in the "Hoe Down" number and the Cavaliers rifles did the Irish Jig in their opener.

I'm sure you're right, and there are probably many more examples that people can think of. Which is why I've always disagreed with the assertion that Santa Clara's Bottle Dance was the first time choreography was done in drum corps.