I need some enlightenment...

Yeah I messed up, I flamboyantly threw out "won the visual caption" and I meant to say that they just won Visual total. I meant to say that I dont agree with BD winning the entire visual package over Cadets or Cavaliers. Winning the visual caption I can agree with because on the field level they were extremely precise.

Edited by DCISuperfan

Yeah I messed up, I flamboyantly threw out "won the visual caption" and I meant to say that they just won Visual total. I meant to say that I dont agree with BD winning the entire visual package over Cadets or Cavaliers. Winning the visual caption I can agree with because on the field level they were extremely precise.

They won "overall" visual because of their guard. Look at that score and the much wider gaps and that is why.

Otherwise, Cadets usually won the other visual aspects (including Visual GE even), and definitely Visual "Performance" for the award.

Edited by IMcomguy

So what is the argument here? :blink:

As far as the sheets and the awards are concerned, IMO, DCI needs to rethink the Viz Performance and GE awards period. The sheets are straight forward. But when we parse out Guard or Brass or this and that to come to a conclusion, it gets mind boggling. The fact is that this bones and beads method they appear to throw on the table are hard enough to figure out without going through mental machinations.

I know these caption awards were designed way back when.. and then named for worthy legendary DC figures. It would be simple to give the following caption awards and be done with it:

Best Guard - Guard average over all 3 days - no change

Best Percussion - Perc average over all 3 days - no change

Best Brass - Brass average over all 3 days - no change

Best Pit - Add it to the sheets (they work hard as hell and get very little recognition) - and yes, I now that it's wrapped up in the music and perhaps percussion (don't know), but it's a major component and right in everyone's face! Fact is that if you go to any rehearsal sight, the pit is off by itself, so................

Best Music - Music total average over all 3 days - no change

Best GE - It's a caption on the sheets, so just use the #### average from the 3 totals (yes music,etc is rolled in there, but it is a caption and gets a total)

Best Visual - same thing (Guard's in there, etc)

Best DM - I do like the leadership component so this is fine - no change

Best Electronics - Not really, I just wanted Jeff Ream to get palpitations :tongue:

Edited by Plan9

So what is the argument here? :blink:

As far as the sheets and the awards are concerned, IMO, DCI needs to rethink the Viz Performance and GE awards period. The sheets are straight forward. But when we parse out Guard or Brass or this and that to come to a conclusion, it gets mind boggling. The fact is that this bones and beads method they appear to throw on the table are hard enough to figure out without going through mental machinations.

I know these caption awards were designed way back when.. and then named for worthy legendary DC figures. It would be simple to give the following caption awards and be done with it:

Best Guard - Guard average over all 3 days - no change

Best Percussion - Perc average over all 3 days - no change

Best Brass - Brass average over all 3 days - no change

Best Pit - Add it to the sheets (they work hard as hell and get very little recognition) - and yes, I now that it's wrapped up in the music and perhaps percussion (don't know), but it's a major component and right in everyone's face! Fact is that if you go to any rehearsal sight, the pit is off by itself, so................

Best Music - Music total average over all 3 days - no change

Best GE - It's a caption on the sheets, so just use the #### average from the 3 totals (yes music,etc is rolled in there, but it is a caption and gets a total)

Best Visual - same thing (Guard's in there, etc)

Best DM - I do like the leadership component so this is fine - no change

Best Electronics - Not really, I just wanted Jeff Ream to get palapatations :tongue:

Great post that I can mostly agree with. I would say that I would like the best visual award to NOT include Guard. It gives an unfair advantage to the corps (BD) whole always seem to have an amazing guard at the expense of the corps with the best drill. It seems that drill has been lessened and guard elevated, which many would like because so many performers are in the guard. I believe that they already get an award and ample recognition. Let's give the drill the same amount of love.

How about adding a best soloist award? ( Boston tongue.gif)

Great post that I can mostly agree with. I would say that I would like the best visual award to NOT include Guard. It gives an unfair advantage to the corps (BD) whole always seem to have an amazing guard at the expense of the corps with the best drill. It seems that drill has been lessened and guard elevated, which many would like because so many performers are in the guard. I believe that they already get an award and ample recognition. Let's give the drill the same amount of love.

How about adding a best soloist award? ( Boston tongue.gif)

Sweet idea about the soloist award!! Disagree about the guard, I don't think they would skew the scores and if anything give the guards something to aspire to.

That same sentiment goes for all those components that may help the main captions (brass, perc, etc)

And getting sponsors should be no problem......the pit sponsored by one of the big manufacturers and named for a great former famous pitist (:blink: ) .

Edited by Plan9

Wow, like a local band competition.

Can we get Best Pit Crew while we're at it?

Wow, like a local band competition.

Can we get Best Pit Crew while we're at it?

Yeah, the best ensemble pit award would be a real step backward and I'm certain would be an insult to the pit selected! :blink:

Same goes for soloist! :blink:

Edited by Plan9

Yeah, the best ensemble pit award would be a real step backward and I'm certain would be an insult to the pit selected! :blink:

Same goes for soloist! :blink:

I apologize that my sarcasm emitter is broken today. :ninja:

Perhaps an award for the highest powered diesel tractor, golf cart, or other miscellaneous transporation and support equipment that helps lug around all of the pit s### would be appropriate.

Back to being serious. The percussion judge is around the pit quite a bit, why is it not already good enough when you win high percussion???

Otherwise, why not have a best mellophone section award? Best baritones, etc etc. I just don't think a "best pit" is necessary.

Sweet idea about the soloist award!! Disagree about the guard, I don't think they would skew the scores and if anything give the guards something to aspire to.

That same sentiment goes for all those components that may help the main captions (brass, perc, etc)

And getting sponsors should be no problem......the pit sponsored by one of the big manufacturers and named for a great former famous pitist (:blink: ) .

Really, the pit is so important today. It should be broken out from the percussion and music captions.