Where were you when you heard Elvis died?

I bet many of us were in Denver. I was going thru breakfast line before a long day of rehearsal!

I'm not that old...

There were 3 of us driving to Denver. Some place in the middle of Nebraska the radio announcer comes on and says,

"I've got a story here folks, this must be some kind of joke." A few minutes later he comes back on and says, "Elvis Presley has been found dead."

When we got to our hotel in Boulder that's the only thing on the news all week.

All week in Colorado the 3 of us would have this verbal exchange......"Guess what?" "What?" "Elvis is dead!" (Seemed entertaining at the time.)

But the 1977 DCI Championships were an INCREDIBLE thing to see in person!!

I was in England on vacation.

Small world ... I was in London working ... Elvis and Groucho died three days apart while I was there ... hmmm ... there must have been a 3rd ...

Nederland, Colorado.

There was a lot of news that tour ... Groucho Marx died, and the Son of Sam killer was running around in NYC.

(and those where the HIGHLIGHTS of that tour ... thumbdown.gif)

• Like 1

Not exactly Elvis...but I have a clear memory of where I was when President Nixon resigned. I was at Three Rivers Stadium watching the Pirates and Mets. My father and I had stopped there on our way to Ithaca for DCI 1974. I've always been a big Pirates fan back to the 60's. Anyway, during the game a big roar went up from the crowd for no apparent reason. No homerun, great catch or anything else. A few minutes later they announced the news on the scoreboard.

Wait. Elvis is dead?!

Well, if that's the case, I was sitting right here in New York City, right now.

C'mon, this is some kind of hoax, right? Like The Onion or something .... right?

Wait. Elvis is dead?!

Well, if that's the case, I was sitting right here in New York City, right now.

C'mon, this is some kind of hoax, right? Like The Onion or something .... right?

We were on a drum corps tour. I saw the news on TV in Rome Italy early day August 17th 77. We didn't tell the corps until after their performance. It was an emotional day, that's all I can say, we speak of that moment to this day, at reunions.

A few years later we watched DCI finals 79 in Birmingham, went to Disneyworld to march parades and on our way home, we stopped at Graceland to convey our respect. I have photos that I'll keep for me and not for thee.