Where were you when you heard Elvis died?

I remeber Zingali yelling at us on the bus that we sucked so bad the night before that we killed Elvis :tongue:

Edited by john2780

What he said (above)......plus - this is a gray "memory" area. I remember Bayonne had been DQ'd, and their busses where near ours. They got an injunction to perform at finals and their corps erupted in celebration. John2780 - do you remember that?

Yes - I also remember finals were on Friday. I think the Broncos had a pre-season game on Sunday - or - the eastern corps had soooooo far to travel home and the DCI BOD voted to move the finals.

Yes - I also remember finals were on Friday. I think the Broncos had a pre-season game on Sunday - or - the eastern corps had soooooo far to travel home and the DCI BOD voted to move the finals.

DCI had to have finals on Friday, because the American Legion had Mile High Stadium reserved for its championship on Saturday (the Crossmen topped Garfield for that title).

The Legion had more clout with the city of Denver than DCI did.

I'm sure the Legion national convention brought a lot more cash to town than DCI.

Wait. Elvis is dead?!

Well, if that's the case, I was sitting right here in New York City, right now.

C'mon, this is some kind of hoax, right? Like The Onion or something .... right?

" No, Elvis is not dead. He just went home. ..."

Someone said told us at rehearsal during a water break.

It's not Elvis, but in 1978 the Pope passed on just before tour (you can look it up). It was a normal, grueling tour in the days before smart phones and lap tops or for that matter wifi. Or maybe the internet.

At any rate I got home and I'm doing all the grown up getting back on track things and I stop by a store and look at the paper and the headline reads "Pope to be buried today"...

You have to picture that I've been out on the road since like Memorial Day and all I can think is that "Geez he must be starting to smell by now"...

How could I have known we'd been through an entire new Pope while I was gone, elected, coronated (or whatever we do with popes - sanctified? ) served, and passed on... all while we were on tour.

And he may have had a better summer than we had!!! At least he got elected!!!

No offense intended to my brothers and sisters - I'm Catholic too - I just forget some of the technical jargon and I'm not quite as good a Catholic as I was during my altar boy days.

We were in Boulder , CO and after practicing all morning, a few of us went for lunch at a nearby MacDonalds and saw the news of Elvis's death on a TV there. That was the first time I'd seen a TV at a MacDonalds and it was also my 19th birthday.

.....How could I have known we'd been through an entire new Pope while I was gone, elected, coronated (or whatever we do with popes - sanctified? ) served, and passed on... all while we were on tour.

Ray - something similar. We were on "first" tour of 3 weeks in 1976 - went to CA and back. Of course followed by second 2 week tour winding up in Philly and then home.

A few weeks later, I read in the Boston Globe..."Tom Yawkey's widow...." I said something at the dinner table - "did Tom Yawkey die a few weeks ago when I was on second tour?"

My family looked at me as if I was in a time warp. Mr. Yawkey had passed away during our first tour in July.....the old days of tour was different.

Ray - how often did you ask your friends "what city are we in today?"

It's not Elvis, but in 1978 the Pope passed on just before tour (you can look it up). It was a normal, grueling tour in the days before smart phones and lap tops or for that matter wifi. Or maybe the internet.

At any rate I got home and I'm doing all the grown up getting back on track things and I stop by a store and look at the paper and the headline reads "Pope to be buried today"...

You have to picture that I've been out on the road since like Memorial Day and all I can think is that "Geez he must be starting to smell by now"...

How could I have known we'd been through an entire new Pope while I was gone, elected, coronated (or whatever we do with popes - sanctified? ) served, and passed on... all while we were on tour.

And he may have had a better summer than we had!!! At least he got elected!!!

No offense intended to my brothers and sisters - I'm Catholic too - I just forget some of the technical jargon and I'm not quite as good a Catholic as I was during my altar boy days.

OMG! Did the Pope transition, too! It's only been like one page ago I found out this guy named Elvis died ... now this! Oh, the tragedy! Next thing you know Jim Morrison gonna keel over ....