Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

While I don't like the diminished acoustics at an indoor venue, the risk of cancelling a program due to weather is too great with as many people spending lots of money to travel to finals. I can't imagine paying as much as we do to see finals and having it cancelled. For this reason alone, keep it indoors.

How many outdoors Finals were cancelled due to weather in almost 40 years? I'll answer that for you: None.

• Like 1

The marcher in my family experienced five rain-outs this season. Finals night, had it been outdoors, would've taken the number to six. I also attended shows where early evening temperatures were more than uncomfortably high, and I worried about the safety of the oldsters in the crowd. Maybe it will be another 40 years before an outdoor finals would be cancelled, but I'd rather not take that bet. I love the outdoor shows, but Lucas Oil gets better each year for the fans and provides conditions that are equal for all the performing corps.

The marcher in my family experienced five rain-outs this season. Finals night, had it been outdoors, would've taken the number to six. I also attended shows where early evening temperatures were more than uncomfortably high, and I worried about the safety of the oldsters in the crowd. Maybe it will be another 40 years before an outdoor finals would be cancelled, but I'd rather not take that bet. I love the outdoor shows, but Lucas Oil gets better each year for the fans and provides conditions that are equal for all the performing corps.

yet Allentown was raining off and on on Saturday and it affected no ones performance

yet Allentown was raining off and on on Saturday and it affected no ones performance

True, but what happened last Saturday night was more than rain. It was lightning and intense winds, which create an entirely different situation (as we know from what happened at the fairgrounds). As far as I can recall, this was the worst finals-night weather DCI has ever encountered. Had corps, staff, judges and the audience been outdoors in those conditions, it's hard to say what exactly would have happened.

Even though domes have their drawbacks, I am glad to see organizers erring on the side of caution, especially when it comes to the biggest show of the season. I know that every show is important, but I also acknowledge the reality that for most, championship week is the highlight of the season. If for no other reason than logistics (especially as there is no longer a rain date for finals), it makes sense for DCI to use a dome during these events.

Edited by byline
  • Like 2

High temperatures, high winds, sunglare, pouring rain, tall grass, slippery turf -- corps deal admirably with it all, but conditions are often different as the evening goes on. Yes, we see no difference in the performance, but some corps have more to deal with to make it all look easy. No big problem for the outdoor shows; it goes with the territory. It's just an extra advantage when the playing field can be level for finals.

How many outdoors Finals were cancelled due to weather in almost 40 years? I'll answer that for you: None.

Then by law of averages.... we're due....

DCA had 1..... (turned into an exhibition IIRC).

....what percentage of the org's revenue comes from championships....

That's the part I always think about, but then I forget about the tickets already sold.

DCA 1975 was bizarre weather wise, cold (even for Rochester standards) and not that overcast during the afternoon part of Prelims. Might have been even sunny but might be confused with the year before. Then few hours later had a freakin' monsoon that lasted at least 2 hours (then I fell asleep on the bus).

How many years did they. Have electronics issues to deal with. ? Electronics and standing water do not mix. Several DCA shows have gone on this year with standing water and downpours. Not so sure the DCI shows could have when taking into consideration the safety of our kids.

finals would have been cancelled this year for sure. Look at all the money DCI would have lost. Look at how many fans would have been disappointed. Think of the 5 dead just a few miles away and u can see why all of that over shadows a little echo.

I hate it when I make sense.

• Like 1

How many years did they. Have electronics issues to deal with. ? Electronics and standing water do not mix. Several DCA shows have gone on this year with standing water and downpours. Not so sure the DCI shows could have when taking into consideration the safety of our kids.

finals would have been cancelled this year for sure. Look at all the money DCI would have lost. Look at how many fans would have been disappointed. Think of the 5 dead just a few miles away and u can see why all of that over shadows a little echo.

we'll let you know when you do.

the were outside, in rain, with electronics at Allentown, and no issues.

if you go to a field with drainage in place, you have far fewer issues except for one offs.

there, sense made

Look at all the money DCI would have lost? There are no refunds - if it was rained out, DCI wouldn't be giving money back, so, they would have lost nothing.

Electronics and standing water? Well, if you insist on violating the Eleventh Commandment, you take your chances. What's the Eleventh Commandment? Thou shall not introduce electronics into drum corps. :doh: