Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

For me the idea of seeing the top 7-8 corps is more a financial decision. I would rather pay more to see the top corps than pay a little less and get 2-3 top corps sprinkled with the lower corps in the open class. Now I know they need the support just like all the other corps but in my opinion they can still be in the show but not be part of the Elite scoring.

I also believe that the G8/Tour of Champions is a big draw every where they go and plays a major role in the quality of the shows early on. This year we saw corps much more prepared than in previous seasons.

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 3

Really?...Has Boston EVER toured on the West Coast? Interesting...

NO. only to BK country CO.

Speaking for myself, if Houston is a ToC show again, I won't be going. It was too much money (when I paid the same to see 11-12 corps the previous years) and I only liked a few of the instant encores. It made the show go on waaaaaaay too long. The only other "extra" I really cared for was the mass brass at the end.

Yeah, the way the TOC shows were structured actually wore me out. There was very little downtime between the corps given the instant encores, the intermission was too short to even attempt getting out and back at Rockford anyway, the shows mostly started late because drum corps fans aren't used to getting in their seats much before showtime.

There *is* value in warm-up corps and hot dog corps... :ph34r:

Firstly, yes, if it is based on competitive results, obviously Boston should get the spot.

Of course, when assessing the format in general, one could ask another question. Why 8? The dropoff from top to bottom is becoming much less and much more gradual, up to a certain point where it falls off a lot (after crossmen this year). There was a few point gap between 12th and 13\14th\15thth at finals, but that gap was inches most of the season.

Sure, these top 8 shows drew crowds, but what would 2 shows of 8-9 corps draw? (maybe have even placing corps at one show, odd at another)? For most fans that's still going to be quite a draw. There were some #### good moments outside of the top 8 and even outside of the top 12. Outside of a lot of the 'drum corps snobs' most fans will still be very entertained by these groups, and view them as exceptional.

If i had options of shows with

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Academy

Crossmen

and

Blue Devils

Carolina Crown

SCV

Boston

Madison

Spirit

Troopers

Colts

You'd still have some very solid lineups there.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 2

I thought I have read somewhere on here from people much more in-the-know than I, that the 8 were determined from last years final placements. If that is the case BAC is in, BS are out.

The bigger potential problem I have is with the "free-for-all" that may come at the fall meetings. If the G7/8 directors still feel compelled to pull away, or adopt their circuit killing ideas, it is ONLY because of the support given to them by attendance at the TOC shows this year.

And this desire to NOT show support for the directions they wish to go, is the ONLY reason I avoided the TOC show in the Meadowlands, and choose to drive much farther to Lawrence to see a smaller show. I realize it was "my loss" because I didn't see the best of the best, but I felt it was more important to send a message of non-support for the G-7/8 proposal, and this is the only way to make it known.

Just my two cents.....

• Like 1

Should the Tour of Champions continue I still would like to see the standard Top 7 corps compete in the TOC and then augment the last spot with the remaining 5 corps depending where the show is. For example if the TOC show is in the Wisconsin area then the Madison Scouts could round out the eight spot (and get local fans there). Should the TOC show be say in Denver area then the Blue Knights would fill in the eight spot, and the same with Spirit in Atlanta with the show in the southeast. That way each corps who makes finals has the opportunity to participate in the TOC and all the fans win in seeing their local corps as well. Just my two cents!

:cool:

• Like 1

Firstly, yes, if it is based on competitive results, obviously Boston should get the spot.

Of course, when assessing the format in general, one could ask another question. Why 8? The dropoff from top to bottom is becoming much less and much more gradual, up to a certain point where it falls off a lot (after crossmen this year). There was a few point gap between 12th and 13\14th\15thth at finals, but that gap was inches most of the season.

Sure, these top 8 shows drew crowds, but what would 2 shows of 8-9 corps draw? (maybe have even placing corps at one show, odd at another)? For most fans that's still going to be quite a draw. There were some #### good moments outside of the top 8 and even outside of the top 12. Outside of a lot of the 'drum corps snobs' most fans will still be very entertained by these groups, and view them as exceptional.

If i had options of shows with

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Academy

Crossmen

and

Blue Devils

Carolina Crown

SCV

Boston

Madison

Spirit

Troopers

Colts

You'd still have some very solid lineups there.

Well, add the rest of the WC corps (Pioneer, PC, Mandarins and Cascades) plus Gulf Coast Sound, split them between the 2 brackets you made for 2 consecutive nights and you have exactly what the Houston showS were before this last season.

The TOC in it's current format features the previous years top 8. Unless that is changed, Boston deserves to be in, everyone else doesn't. TOC shows don't feature perceived crowd favorites, former victors of yesteryear, or winners of this award or that, they feature the previous seasons top 8. It's not the show people are having a problem with, it's the name.

Then call it something beside Tour of CHAMPIONS.

• Like 1

I think some have forgotten that the g-8 started as the g-7 . Those 7 corps wanted to split off from DCI for some shows on their own. Sence they felt that people would pay more money not to have to sit through what they veiwed as , " Lesser", corps at these shows they could charge more at the gate and get more money for themselves per show. $6000.00 per show I believe. They needed 8 corps to make this work, so they invited the Blue Stars to joint in.

Edited by Bill L.
  • Like 1