Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

Only because I noticed these things when I marched and I've never really heard some one point them out but in 05 Cadets the drill during the closer (which is technically twisted version of Medea, if that's possible) the "girls" travel through the corps in a ever changing maze like pattern and then it leads them right into the center.

Also in 06, they tried to connect the show with 05 a little more so "Alice" at times uses props from the 05 show.

I'm still amazed by Jeff's drill for "Liquid" in 05. Every couple of counts there's new picture relating to liqiud. Waves crashing, a whirlpool into a waterfall into a spout with a drop of water coming out of it, then that changes into a showerhead as the low brass comes pouring out of it and of course there's a fish and an umbrella, and all way being very flowing with no hard direction changes, just shows why he's one of the best in the business.

Also musically, Jay did some real clever things in that opener incorporating the Dies Irae and there's a tribute to "To Tame the Perilous Skies" right after the waterfall.

After the 04 season we would take shots, er.... I mean..... just count how many times Jay managed to put Aqualung hidden somewhere in the music book.

Edited by Big Adam
  • Like 1

It's unfortunately not on a video but in surf this past season I notice a male horn player break out of form to reach for a guard member like a love struck fool only to be pulled back into form by another horn member. Thought that was funny.

That's a classic ripped right from the Bridgemen's 1980 show I believe (they could have used it in other's as well). Good nods to classic Bridgemen visuals all throughout that show.

BD 05 - Towards the end of the show there is some narration. It's a countdown of the coupled performers. "Couple #12 from California"

Crown 07 - Towards the end of the show the narration during the horse race. Different horses taking the lead "a devil in blue", "green machine" etc

BD 11 - The girl that starts the show in the house alone, looking for her love, is in the house at the end of the show with her love bringing her flowers.

90 Star - When the banner on side 2 is being pulled out during the middle of the show, there is a color guard member that falls, but covers it up very well! She makes it look like she was almost supposed to fall!

90-91 Star - Just a design thing from Zingali that I noticed while watching: The guard members that set up and pick up flags that are set on the field for guard silk transitions. Very cool.

91 Star - (Got to thinking because of the above and remembered this one lol) The opening drum motif is played by one of the tenors in the pit. Zingali had to write the opening drill (up to the company front) to get this tenor player back with the battery and behind the brass front. Total nuance that may not be realized by many but total genius on Zingali's part!

That's a classic ripped right from the Bridgemen's 1980 show I believe (they could have used it in other's as well). Good nods to classic Bridgemen visuals all throughout that show.

My first thought was "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" from Bridgemen.... but probably other places too.. now not sure..

Going waaaay back during the BiCentennial lot of corps did Patriotic songs and ye olde "park and blast" at the end of the show. Sunrisers (yeah I know a Sr corps) played a few notes of "Happy Birthday" during the closing "P&B". People around me thought I was nutz when I said it sounded like "Happy Birthday" but Fran verified it here about 30 years later. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

91 Star - (Got to thinking because of the above and remembered this one lol) The opening drum motif is played by one of the tenors in the pit. Zingali had to write the opening drill (up to the company front) to get this tenor player back with the battery and behind the brass front. Total nuance that may not be realized by many but total genius on Zingali's part!

I noticed that one back in '91 watching the show - you see it every so often where the drill comes up to meet the soloist instead of the other way around. I've always thought the drill coming to get them was always a much cooler move.

Mike

• Like 4

90 Star - When the banner on side 2 is being pulled out during the middle of the show, there is a color guard member that falls, but covers it up very well! She makes it look like she was almost supposed to fall!

Another guard member falls near the portion of the sign that reads "Mene Mene" soon after so I'm not sure this wasn't supposed to be part of the production.

Watching FN, in Star '93 at the 3:12 mark, one of the sabres loses control of her equipment near the 45 yard line which ends up landing almost 5 yards away from her. She gets out of form to retrieve her equipment even though the form has moved significantly away.

I've always wondered if that was done on purpose.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

1988 Bluecoats right before the drum solo in Autumn Leaves. The soprano sextet is finishing up their part when the rifle line does a lay down toss. Well it was very windy that day and all of the rifles land out of reach of the members and bounce on the field. One of those rifles bounces up and smacks the left most soprano soloist in the side of the head while he is playing a high and loud note. You can see his helmet shift to the right and hear a little waiver in his note, but he keeps playing even though he was just whacked in the head. This can be seen on the video.

and one from 1987 which most people probably wouldn't notice. right after one of the first horn hits in Autumn Leaves the bass line leans back and plays a triplet run that goes 1-2-1-2-4-3-2-1, Well it looks kinda funny how we lean back and are featured but the bottom two guys dont actually play anything. So they started air drumming to make it look like they play after 4 so it looks like the part goes 1-2-1-2-4-3(5)-2(6)-1. This can also be seen on the video.

Edited by bluecoats88