Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

Okay, I'll bite.

In Crossmen's 1992 show, which I had the distinct privilege to march:

The earth appears three times, moving along a track representing an orbital plane

1. On side 1, in the opening of the show, 'Begin Sweet World,' the horns coalesce from 'atom-like' individuality to form the sphere of the earth, with the guard and percussion forming the 'plane'

2. At center, the guard forms the sphere and the horns form the plane (end of 'The Four Elements')

3. On side 2, before the resolve to the question mark at the end of Under the Sun, the sphere forms again. You can see the orbital plane in the guard at the end. Before the question mark was put in, the show ended with the sphere.

The drill in "The Four Elements" had the separate sections representing the four elements as the ancient Greeks understood them. The baritones marched a solid block for the earth, the altos marched a continuous flowing circle around the quads for water, sopranos did swirling scatter drill for air, and the cymbals combined with angry red flags for fire.

The Rain Forest narrates the beauty of the forest in the opening half, with the 'rain' effect from the mallets and the multicolored flags.

The percussion feature represents the violence of deforestation (gee, and you just thought it was an incredible feature). There was a section where some horns ducked under the other horn players swinging of their horns in a 'chopping' motion.' The red/orange flags appear at the end of the perc.. feature to intensify the angry/violent mood.

• Like 3

This, plus starting the show in "minus-1" position with the lower body to signify that the beginning has already happened and that this is the end :)

I believe 2010 Bluecoats ended their show in a "Plus 1", since "The Future is Now". I'll have to jump on Fan network to double check that, though.

• Like 1

Spirit's 2009 Ballad. The song slips my mind, but I NEVER have heard or hear anyone talk about that show, like ever. It's kind of when they hit their low, but the ballad is freakin awesome, nice and loud. Great development.

You mean "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas? Yeah, most people just pretend that show never happened. It wasn't a strong show for Spirit, and seemed a lot like a college marching band show than a drum corps show.

You mean "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas? Yeah, most people just pretend that show never happened. It wasn't a strong show for Spirit, and seemed a lot like a college marching band show than a drum corps show.

I concur, that's the only part I really enjoyed in it, that's why I didn't say the whole show. lol (Sorry, Spirit!)

It's unfortunately not on a video but in surf this past season I notice a male horn player break out of form to reach for a guard member like a love struck fool only to be pulled back into form by another horn member. Thought that was funny.

In 2008 Pacific Crests show there was a slight story line between the guard soloist and the tribal drummer and it was depicted in the drill. It's a Romeo and Juliet story except they live instead of die for starters. In the opener you notice two open rectangles moving through each other and pretty much in conflict on who has control of the field. At the end of the show, the rectangles are reformed and are conjoined at a corner to signify the tribes have agreed to peace.

Okay, I'll bite.

In Crossmen's 1992 show, which I had the distinct privilege to march:

The earth appears three times, moving along a track representing an orbital plane

1. On side 1, in the opening of the show, 'Begin Sweet World,' the horns coalesce from 'atom-like' individuality to form the sphere of the earth, with the guard and percussion forming the 'plane'

2. At center, the guard forms the sphere and the horns form the plane (end of 'The Four Elements')

3. On side 2, before the resolve to the question mark at the end of Under the Sun, the sphere forms again. You can see the orbital plane in the guard at the end. Before the question mark was put in, the show ended with the sphere.

The drill in "The Four Elements" had the separate sections representing the four elements as the ancient Greeks understood them. The baritones marched a solid block for the earth, the altos marched a continuous flowing circle around the quads for water, sopranos did swirling scatter drill for air, and the cymbals combined with angry red flags for fire.

The Rain Forest narrates the beauty of the forest in the opening half, with the 'rain' effect from the mallets and the multicolored flags.

The percussion feature represents the violence of deforestation (gee, and you just thought it was an incredible feature). There was a section where some horns ducked under the other horn players swinging of their horns in a 'chopping' motion.' The red/orange flags appear at the end of the perc.. feature to intensify the angry/violent mood.

one of my favorite shows of all time, which sort of continued on into 93... great stuff.

great topic....!!!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB