Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

(DCP police: Please don't remove; this was an "official" corps movie.)

You'll notice that Ms. Moroney does not have a left hand, rendering her incapable of quick horn moves. So, they invented a very slow horn move that she could execute. Still rocking it 25 years later.

Cool! Got to see my sister Gretchen on bari marching behind her!

• Like 1

The Glassmen had an off year... for them. However, they did have a segment in their show this year that I thought was quite creative and innovative. I had never seen a Corps do this before, and I thought it was a cool effect.

Do posters here remember the Glassmen Guard that produced the sound effects on the flags when they twirled them along the front sidelines in a brief segment of their show ?

I think they just might be onto something here, that we may someday see and hear again.. either from them, or from some other Corps doing something similar in the future. Anybody here know how the Glassmen created the sound effects on the twirling flags like this in their show ? I'm still not sure how they did this, as I only saw them in performance once this year. How'd they do it ? Was it perhaps an unusual fabric of the flag banners themselves that they used to create the sound effect ?

Were the flags made of foil? Anyways, what ever they were made from...it was very effective and cool!

I can think of a couple...

-The last few notes in Carolina Crown 2009 are taken from their 2006 show In.Trance.It

-Cavaliers 2011 - The word XtraordinarY being subtly spelled out in the closer drill.

-The drill at the end of SCV 1999 is the same drill that is used earlier in the show but evolves into a wedge at the last second

-Cavaliers 2010 - Little parts in the drill in the closer are borrowed from years past (For instance the two blocks running into each other is a reference to Frameworks)

-Phantom Regiment 2010 is a show that slowly moves from the back right corner, to the top left. It always points in that direction, a couple times the drill wants to stray from that path but it is ultimately about the inevitability of life eventually coming to an end. All life starts and ends. The ultimate visual metaphor IMO.

Edited by squeefritzmon
  • Like 7

I believe they were metallic flags that when spun would make sound just from their movement.

I thought that was a cool effect and didn't realize until hlafway through the effect that it was the flags making the sound.

North Star did this in 1978.

I'm sure many people noticed this already, and the title says "unnoticed" nuances, but I thought I'd put it on here anyway because it's so amazing.

Snippets of Slaughter on Tenth Avenue in the Madison Scouts' opener for 2011. worthy.gif That was so freakin' awesome!

• Like 1

My favorite nuance is the bug you can see on the field in the Cadets' '89 show. You see it during the mellophone solo in Bring Him Home.

• Like 2

Hrothgar: Your best topic ever. I'd love to see more examples of things I might have missed, and I'm sure there are a lot of them.

My favorite nuance is the bug you can see on the field in the Cadets' '89 show. You see it during the mellophone solo in Bring Him Home.

the bugs were huge in arrowhead. in 88 seting up in our opening set I saw something crawling across the field. the thing was crossing a yard line and it completely covered the line, that's how big this thing was and those lines are not skinny.

For those wondering about the Cadets horns up and horns down the reason is basically in the 80's they had an excellent mellophone player and one of the best mello soloists in DCI history named Barbara Maroney who only had one arm. Because of this her fake left hand was somehow attached to the instrument but she couldn't do the quick snaps. They made the change so that they could all be in unison.

Here's an interview with her:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Maroney%20Interview.htm

For some nuances there are of course tons of pit stuff I could mention though my favorite is probably the unamped rubber ducky towards the end of 'Hunting Wabbits' in Bluecoats 2004. Another good one is the pitch bended chime in SCV's ballad in 2003 by hitting the chime and lowering it into a bucket of water. I'm planning on using this with my high school this year.

My favorite nuance about the Cadets 2011 show that I didn't notice until the third time I watched it was when the hornline puts down their shakos and instruments the demons leave them in a mess while the angels leave them nice and orderly. This extends to when the put down their poles and the demons throw them into the end zone.

Then there are of course tons of drumline visuals that you wouldn't want your mother to see... such as Star of Indiana 1993 tenors doing a line of coke.

Curses! You beat me to it. How did that thing not get squished?