Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

How bout the Crossmen drumline "lick" put in every show by the legendary Mark Thurston. Last heard in 1996. This year it was brought back, not once, but twice in this year's show thanks to Lee Beddis.

Edited by ma24le

How bout the Crossmen drumline "lick" put in every show by the legendary Mark Thurston. Last heard in 1996. This year it was brought back, not once, but twice in this year's show thanks to Lee Beddis.

Can you describe the "lick"?

I saw that in the semis webcast. Hard to say what the flag material was but I'd take a guess at some sort of silver paper.

They looked like EMS type foil blankets used to retain heat for hypothermic Patients otherwise called space blankets

I saw that in the semis webcast. Hard to say what the flag material was but I'd take a guess at some sort of silver paper.

I believe the material is mylar.

Just like those metallic birthday balloons you can get that never deflate...

North Star did this in 1978.

St Pat's Imperials of Milwaukee 1973...Just before they became "The Thing". It went with the mirrored shades the horline wore

This was in reference to Glassmen flags and I meant hornline :doh:

-The drill at the end of SCV 1999 is the same drill that is used earlier in the show but evolves into a wedge at the last second

The Y-pull! Love that move. Wish they would incorporate that more often.

Also wanted to mention Cavaliers 2001, Four Corners.

They use all 4 corners of the field, and when they rotate a box, the members on the four corners of the box rotate the opposite way and end up on the corner opposite of where they were before. They do this at least 3 times that I'm aware of.

Hmm....what else...Oh! Look at my avatar. Star 1991, when they did the cross to cross, right before they finish forming the last cross, it *almost* looks as if that transition was supposed to make a star for a split second while merging into the final cross. If that is true, then that's genius. Those final sets were put in I think like very close to the end of the season, so I don't think they got it as clean as they'd like to have gotten it, so it may very well be what I mentioned.

I also really love when a corps makes a certain shape or set while still moving into another set. The above would be a good example of this.

Those are really hard to find in any given year, and when you do find a good one, it's like wow. Certain drill writers for the Cadets have been very good at this.

Also, in the Blue Stars' show this year, during the ballad when the corps does the footwork, moves like 4 steps, then does more footwork, moves another 4 steps or so, with the bari/euphs in the middle and the rest of the brass outlining it, the outside brass kinda like "tighten" the group in the middle, as if they were slowly enveloping them - I think it was supposed to have signified the part in The Matrix when Neo digs his hand into Trinity's chest cavity, pulls out the bullet, then grabs her heart and starts it again.

That is what I have gotten out of it, anyway.

• Like 2