Favorite unnoticed drum corps show nuances?

Madison Scouts 1990. About a minute before the end of the show, right after the big company front hit. As the hornline puts their horns down and calmly sneaks back a few steps you can see a baritone player... uh...

SACK CHECK, AISLE MADISON

OH! Another Madison one. These two guys crack me up every time. The ridiculous height difference is really what makes it so much better.

0WF00.jpg

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Cadets 2002. I'm in a bit of Americana thing today considering the date, so here goes:

Not so unnoticed, but I thought it was really cool that the tuba player who fell IMMEDIATELY sprinted back to a rapidly spinning form within just a couple of seconds: you fall down, you get right back up and keep on going.

When the flag is raised in the ballad and the corps recites the bit of the Pledge of Allegiance, the judge who was closest to the flag put his hand on his heart and recited the verse as well. Chills.

Of course, there is the bit at the very very end, after the show is over, in which the Madison FD station across the street sounded sirens and bells. Very very cool.

Drum corps is a really great way to be proud of being American.

• Like 1

Phantom did something kind of similar in 92, during the Burning of Moscow section. While the horns were marching and playing, the guard slid their flame-colored flags into the crooks of their elbows, then ran off to partner with more horn players who didn't have flags. Then there's a drum break and some scatter drill, ending with the horns tossing the flags back to the guard, filling the air with "flames." The guard then slides black scrims over their flags that the horns had hidden in their uniforms, creating the smoke/ashes after the fire. Very cool effect.

Also, in Phantom 06, did anyone else miss the baldric change for the longest time? I didn't notice it until a couple months ago :doh:

We were originally supposed to drape the shrouds over them after they sacrificed themselves. However, the material was so thin and difficult to work with that the idea was almost immediately abandoned. By Finals, we just unceremoniousously dumped them on the ground in front of the guard.

That show had a ton of little details tied into the story that most people probably weren't aware of. For instance, Cesario told us he wanted Le Marseillaise to be patterned after a scene in the film Cabaret , where a character starts singing a song that at first seems to be beautiful and innocent but is slowly revealed to actually be Nazi propaganda. That's why it started with a patriotic flair but, by the end, turned it nasty and sinister.

(Also, did you notice that during The Hymn To Peace, the main hornline group in the backfield started marching at a completely different tempo than the the soli group in the front? By the end, both groups are marching in time, signifying that the country is coming together to meet the common threat.)

• Like 1

There is a 2 bar quote of "Appalachian Spring" in Vanguards 98 ballad. I probably listened to it 100 times before noticing. I love that moment

• Like 2

There is a 2 bar quote of "Appalachian Spring" in Vanguards 98 ballad. I probably listened to it 100 times before noticing. I love that moment

It was a little nod to their other use of Copland during the 80s. Probably one of the best of SCV's shows of all time, and for sure one of the best of the 90s. It's just in the pit break, and it's very subtle, but it's cool once you find it.

Do the cadets still form a G-with-an-arrow (the old Garfield logo) during their shows?

Probably not unnoticed, but was to me since I only saw Crown twice this year and from low angles.. at the end looks to me like the drill is mimicking the 3-d cube-thing the guard guy is spinning.

• Like 2