Future of On-Site DCP Posters

I used twitter and linked my cellphone to the twitter account to send basic text messages. The second thing I did was prepare a minimum of one test message per corps by using the corps name and added the #drumcorps tag. I then saved all the text messages in my drafts folder prior to the show. It was real easy to then tweet with this small preparation.

If you tweet you don't have to watch any of that non-sense. I noticed that some of my tweets were cherry picked for the show thread. When I got home I took all my tweets and posted to the thread for the record. I always make one comment on EVERY corps. The most annoying thing to me as a a reader of tweets is when someone's bias is clear by their tweet about only certain corps. Personally someone who tweets on all the corps holds better credibility in my eyes...even if their tweets are not necessarily positive.

I re-tweeted probably the most this season of anyone else. I also did not discriminate in my re-tweeting posts. There were a few times I didn't care for a particular tweet about my favorite corps...but felt it was only fair to report all the news for everyone...good bad and the ugly.

I was able to easily discern the tweets from people who were not at the show. I could tell by the comment, the actual timing of when the tweet was broadcast, and some other factors. I am sure maybe a few tweets got posted that were complete BS. For the most part I think people are honest. Besides I included their real name with the tweet as that is how most people have their twitter account set-up. It is public record. I had one re-tweet request from someone this season to have their name removed and I gladly did so upon their request.

I tweeted the Lawrence show this year. I choose not to tweet Allentown on the fly because I actually was more engaged in conversation with the person I was sitting next to and we were talking about the shows in between corps. It was so awesome talking about the shows this year.

I was very grateful for the additions you added to the show threads this year. Last year reading the show threads was my way of staying in touch with what my daughter was doing. What I figured out by the end of the season was the comments taught me a lot about drum corps. I really didn't care if they were positive or negative comments. With the negative comments I would think about them and if I disagreed would just let it be the posters opinion. This year there was not as much posted during the shows on the threads, but with out fail you were there sharing what was being tweeted. THANK YOU! Being a single parent I only get to go to one show a year and it is the beginning of the season while they are close to home. I could do FN but her getting to go on tour is more important than me watching tour. So DCP is what I get all summer until my dvd get here and even then I miss seeing corps. What my daughter doesn't know is this year I read every show thread and every review even if her corps wasn't there.(Someday I might get a real life but until then) I love this activity and how I get to experience it is by reading about it. The problem with the reviews after is a lot of them do not mention the lower scoring corps or the open class corps so we don't get to hear how they did. Don't get me wrong the reviews that do get posted are great and I would rather be in the lot watching corps warm up too. I guess what I am saying is someone us love every bit of info about how any of the corps do at the shows.

I was very grateful for the additions you added to the show threads this year. Last year reading the show threads was my way of staying in touch with what my daughter was doing. What I figured out by the end of the season was the comments taught me a lot about drum corps. I really didn't care if they were positive or negative comments. With the negative comments I would think about them and if I disagreed would just let it be the posters opinion. This year there was not as much posted during the shows on the threads, but with out fail you were there sharing what was being tweeted. THANK YOU! Being a single parent I only get to go to one show a year and it is the beginning of the season while they are close to home. I could do FN but her getting to go on tour is more important than me watching tour. So DCP is what I get all summer until my dvd get here and even then I miss seeing corps. What my daughter doesn't know is this year I read every show thread and every review even if her corps wasn't there.(Someday I might get a real life but until then) I love this activity and how I get to experience it is by reading about it. The problem with the reviews after is a lot of them do not mention the lower scoring corps or the open class corps so we don't get to hear how they did. Don't get me wrong the reviews that do get posted are great and I would rather be in the lot watching corps warm up too. I guess what I am saying is someone us love every bit of info about how any of the corps do at the shows.

It was my pleasure and thank you for your kind words. :smile:

I tried once to post tweets/DCP updates during a show. I think I managed to post 3 updates before I totally gave up. I like to talk to people at shows and I really don't like isolating myself with an electronic gadget, so I now know that I'm not a candidate for show reporting. However, live bloggers with full computers set up at a table are wonderful! Maybe DCI can cultivate a few of those hard core fans with great (and unbiased) reporting skills to be their official Live Blog Team to join Mr. Boo?

I work evenings and am not a fan of navigating twitter so I was extremely appreciative of everyone's play-by-plays on DCP. It's impossible to type everything correctly when you're on a phone, especially when liveblogging, so I definitely didn't give a crap about proper spelling and grammar. It was just great to get any kind of updates at all. Hopefully some of you will keep it up for next year and beyond, because you made my boring worknights a lot better. :)

Edited by gimpy
  • Like 1

I tried once to post tweets/DCP updates during a show. I think I managed to post 3 updates before I totally gave up. I like to talk to people at shows and I really don't like isolating myself with an electronic gadget, so I now know that I'm not a candidate for show reporting. However, live bloggers with full computers set up at a table are wonderful! Maybe DCI can cultivate a few of those hard core fans with great (and unbiased) reporting skills to be their official Live Blog Team to join Mr. Boo?

You can use CoverItLive (the same app Boo is using) for free. The problem is that many (most) tweeters are not DCP readers -- they're just obsessed tweeters who happen to be at a DCI event. But I think harnessing those DCP readers (who were willing to do so ) into a CoverItLive team would be great. I'd much rather read that than reposted tweets in the forum.

• Like 1

The tweets to DCP threads were a way to connect with people that were there to those that care and weren't there. Liahona and CrownBariDad were two of many tweethearts :bigsmile: whom had kept those that weren't there feel as if we were in a well paced, informative and respectful way. Thanks tweetie birds, you did good! :thumbup:

edit: I may be in a mood grrr or not 'cause I'm on vacation. Ya!

You're most welcome! Hope I can do more next season.

Liahona and Corpsband: Great tips! Thanks!

I agree that we need a section on DCP where we can post live show updates and reviews. And maybe without running the risk of a neg vote if we re-Tweet someone else's comment.

• Like 1

You're most welcome! Hope I can do more next season.

Liahona and Corpsband: Great tips! Thanks!

I agree that we need a section on DCP where we can post live show updates and reviews. And maybe without running the risk of a neg vote if we re-Tweet someone else's comment.

A little about me; I’ve been in IT for 34 years. In the early years I rarely talked about work as very few spoke COBOL. During the PC years I mentioned what I did as a job and they’d ask, “Can you fix my home computer?” I then kept quiet again. I was offline after work for decades until December 2006 when I bought my first home computer mostly for the internet. The first thing I did was look for drum corps.

Let’s fast forward to 2011. The Alberta Girls had their 41st reunion on July 29-30, 2011 of which I was part of the planning committee. Prior big reunions were in 2006, 1989 and 1979 the last year we were a drum corps. We were founded in 1970 as a band, 1972 as a drum corps, 1976-1988 as winter guard, 1988-1991 as a stage band, 1992-2004 as a song and dance stage act.

We also have mini reunions. The ladies went to Pasadena in 2007 and I joined them for a mini reunion in Indy 2010 where I caught the drum corps bug big time. Early August 2011, my home computer crashed, including all my bookmarks. I don’t twitter and depended on DCP to guide me. The contest threads with tweets, re-tweets, photos, comments and up to 400 viewers, sharing a common interest, were delightful.

Your signature says CrownBariDad. Here’s a gift on behalf of our reunion committee, 1972 Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Band, possibly during the first year of 4 European tours. Please don’t mind the strap under the chin. We were transitioning from a marching band to drum corps that year. I simply ask that you show this photo to your kid as it contains part of our baritone line (for historical purposes only). Thank you :smile:

73-europe.jpg

Or you can just not provide play-by-plays at all; enjoy the show and post a review the next day. That's what I do. Sure, it may sound selfish, but honestly, I'm more concerned about what's on the field at the time as opposed to what people have to say about what I post during the show. I tried doing it last year at one show, but frankly my fingers are too big to try to type out play-by-plays on my iPhone.

And like someone else said earlier, having a thick skin helps.

+1

I suggest you just go and enjoy the show for YOU. Forget us! Post a review later and call it a day.

It's difficult to truly enjoy a show if you're not paying attention to it and worrying about taking pictures or writing about it.

It's really nice, but you're spending moolah to attend. Enjoy it! smile.gif

+1

I suggest you just go and enjoy the show for YOU. Forget us! Post a review later and call it a day.

It's difficult to truly enjoy a show if you're not paying attention to it and worrying about taking pictures or writing about it.

It's really nice, but you're spending moolah to attend. Enjoy it! smile.gif

You give good advice :smile: Plans to go to Stanford in 2011 fell through for me. I got caught up in the moment reading DCP over the summer of 2011 wishing I was there. Now that I think of it, in 2010, I turned off my cell phone at semis and finals. On Friday evening, I took 7 photos thinking I’d take lots on Saturday. On Saturday evening, my camera ran out of battery power after 4 photos. No worries. We have good memories of a fun time in 2010, enjoyed it and are planning for next year.

I was going to write a review in 2010 but I ‘aint got a thick skin, lol. However, I’ve read many 2011 reviews. Thanks to those that contributed. I’d like to ask fellow DCP readers to not + or – reviewers as a gesture of respect. We’re all entitled to our opinions. I’m going to now read the August issue of Drum Corps World as I did decades ago after a drum corps season. I like that it’s online. There’re many aspects of technology that’s good.

• Like 1

. . . Thanks to those that contributed. I’d like to ask fellow DCP readers to not + or – reviewers as a gesture of respect. We’re all entitled to our opinions.

I plussed every review I read, even if I didn't agree with all the judgments (who does?), simply to thank the reviewer for taking the time and trouble to gather and post his/her thoughts.