Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

'Nice to learn of the increase in attendance numbers, including the Open Class Division's 30% paid increase year over end as well.

i vaguely remember finals night attendance in '78 being reported at like 32,000 . . ?

• Like 2

The article does not mention paid attendance just attendence. DCI was doing lots of advertisement for free tickets to former DCI members and band members. l wonder what actual paid attendance was?

<<The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,617, which does not include corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.>>

• Like 3

i vaguely remember finals night attendance in '78 being reported at like 32,000 . . ?

I remember it as 272,395. People were stacked five deep in the seats on all sides and were hanging from the rafters and three different Goodyear blimps. At least that's how I remember it.

• Like 5

Posting this for reference. I'd update the GDP numbers but until we get the '09 and '10 attendance it doesn't mean much anyway.

For reference the GDP is currently running at an annualized target of 1%, so you can add that visual picture.

Suffice it to say that the 9% increase was off a significantly lower level. Still GREAT!, but '09 and '10 must have been brutal.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that, according to the release, '10 attendance must have been 15,765 at finals. Plug that into the picture, too.

20101006-xui94hkryjxhmfufw1je72ap3i.png

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

I have no way of knowing how this could be verified, but here is an official figure I am really interested in seeing: Out of the 17,363 who attended the Finals, how many of them were not tied to any corps whatsoever (alum, kid in corps, etc...). The reason for my curiosity on that figure is that number alone would indicate how well marketing is going to reach the non-initiated/non-involved spectator.

<<The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,617, which does not include corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials.>>

correct Mike. I like to think this is a good sign, but it doesn't take into account freebies thatdidn't have a wristband attached to it.

Still a good sign. Shows DCI is making some progress

• Like 2

Posting this for reference. I'd update the GDP numbers but until we get the '09 and '10 attendance it doesn't mean much anyway.

For reference the GDP is currently running at an annualized target of 1%, so you can add that visual picture.

Suffice it to say that the 9% increase was off a significantly lower level. Still GREAT!, but '09 and '10 must have been brutal.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that, according to the release, '10 attendance must have been 15,765 at finals. Plug that into the picture, too.

20101006-xui94hkryjxhmfufw1je72ap3i.png

well based on the numbers Dan gave, sounds like last year was 15,500 or so.