Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

And the simple math is that attendance in '10 was 15,500, which represents an 6.7% annual growth rate. And, if you don't buy the annualized growth rate, you could simply say that reported attendance is up 40% from 2010.

Nicely done, indeed.

(now I'm wondering: "Nicely done, indeed - WHO?)

the last time i was at finals was 2010. That number seems way too high

but until my daughter is old enough to sit still for more than 30 seconds, there won't be a trip back

non-competing corps members are general admission. AKA the garbage seats you described.

Indiana resident $15 seats were almost entirely general admission garbage seats. These tickets could only be bought day-of-show at the ticket office. Gates opened at 3:30. I can vouch that by 4:30 at least, there was only obstructed view, angled sections and flat endzone sections left. General Admission.

They did not steal good seats away from others.

Now, the INpact Junior High band opening group had a huge block for kids and family that were actually on the front side :omg: Granted, they were in the last section (10 yard line, End Zone) And by the looks of it, a BUNCH of them did not stick around.

Comped VIPs, well ... they are VIPs.

a lot of VIP's are in the suites too

This is when I give my obligatory rant about DCI attendance numbers and their validity:

I have it on good authority, from a high-ranking DCI official, that DCI Championship attendance numbers from the previous to mid-90's are not 100% accurate; mid-90's to current at VERY accurate and tracked. Prior to the mid-90's (IIRC the accurate tracking coincided with Dan A's tenure as Director) numbers were guestimated at best, and fabricated at worst.

Now, obviously looking at videos there were LOTS of people in Montreal, but before getting super analytical remember:

* we don't know accurate attendance numbers, regardless of whatever the number put on the scoreboard said

* we don't know PAID attendance numbers at all (or do we? I remember just one figure shown/stated as attendance w/no designation of paid or free): there could've been TONS of non-Finalist members/staff/volunteers in that stadium, especially considering how many corps competed in Montreal. According to www.fromthepressbox.com there were:

- 7 all-girl corps

- 43 A & A-60 corps

- 48 in Open Class Prelims

** 98 Total Competing Corps

In 2015 Indy had:

- 17 Open Class (minus 33 from Montreal)

- 22 WC

** 39 Total Competing Corps

So Montreal had a grand total of 59 MORE corps than Indy this year. That's a significant amount of free folks in attendance!

For a grand total of

for Montreal all non finalist corps had to buy tickets to get in. hence the large number

So finals attendance is down 100% from 1978 to 2015. Great job DCI!

the last time i was at finals was 2010. That number seems way too high

but until my daughter is old enough to sit still for more than 30 seconds, there won't be a trip back

If you'll look back in the thread, it was you who reported DCI's reporting of this number.

:wacko:

So finals attendance is down 100% from 1978 to 2015. Great job DCI!

So DCI is solely responsible for all the societal, demographic, and financial changes that have occurred and affected drum corps since 1978?

Something screams at me that that's not right.

But that's just me. You obviously see things differently.

• Like 3

for Montreal all non finalist corps had to buy tickets to get in. hence the large number

I was in Montreal in '82 with Philadelphia PAL Cadets. If my alzheimers rattled brain isn't mistaken, I think we had to pay $1 to get in for finals to sit backfield. Of course as the show went on me and the guys I was with gradually worked our way around until we were on the 50 for the last few corps.