Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

for Montreal all non finalist corps had to buy tickets to get in. hence the large number

Actually, because it was not free to them, the fact that they were kids, at the end of tour, and had no money ( most of them), the fact they would have to pay to get in, actually kept the vast majority of them from buying a ticket, and thus being included in the paid attendance at the Montreal site for Finals. Furthermore, nobody has really broken down the reasons why people buy a ticket to Finals for ANY year, as far as we know. Some are no doubt also a parent(s) ( or grandparents ) who barely give a hoot about the shows, if at all.. They are primarily there to see their child, then pick up their child after the show and transport them back home, and other similar reasons for attendance. Whether it was 1981 or 2015, we don't ask the ticket purchaser why they are there with the ticket purchase. Its irrelevant to the paid attendance numbers published in any given year. Paid attendance is paid attendance. Period. Same as it ever was. And the same as it ever was for any concert, sporting event, etc. too.

Edited by BRASSO

Prof. BRASSO -

Analyze this, please . . . .

If DCI utilized a Buy One/Get One Free (or some other local discount ratio), does DCI count this transaction as ONE paid admission and one unpaid admission, OR, TWO discounted paid admissions? :unsure:

Prof. BRASSO -

If DCI utilized a Buy One/Get One Free (or some other local discount ratio), does DCI count this transaction as ONE paid admission and one unpaid admission, OR, TWO discounted paid admissions? :unsure:

Yes.

:tounge2:

Oh, sorry, you weren't asking me.

• Like 1

Prof. BRASSO -

I have no insights Prof. Fred, on how DCI determines " paid attendance , nor if discounted ticket prices are factored in or not. I would imagine however that " paid attendance " would be per person, per ticket , irrespective of what the individual paid for the ticket purchase. We don't factor in " paid attendance " with premium price seating, nor lowest ticket price, so I'd imagine " paid attendance " would be per ticket, per person, and no more complicated than that. But.... who knows for certain how DCI calculates its " paid attendance ". I don't know for certain anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Prof. BRASSO -

Along those same lines (and someone might have already asked), how many $15 Indiana resident tix were sold? I was hanging out near the box office hocking an extra ticket for semis, and saw a few people walk up and buy those. Not that they'll tell, but would love to see a breakdown of full price, discounted, and IN resident $15 tickets sold. I know there was a big turnout due to the highly competitive top four, but I can tell you that ticket costs aren't helping to grow attendance. $255 for three nights (in addition to hotel, car, flight and 25 sinus-clearing cocktails at St. Elmo's) gets a bit pricy, even for those of us that can afford it.

• Like 1

Along those same lines (and someone might have already asked), how many $15 Indiana resident tix were sold? I was hanging out near the box office hocking an extra ticket for semis, and saw a few people walk up and buy those.

Some things are open to speculation regarding " paid attendance", while other things not left to speculation. For example,along the lines of the $15 Indiana resident heavily discounted ticket pricing for the 2015 Finals, there was no discounted ticket pricing for Canadian residents at the Montreal Finals in '81, 82. As a matter of fact, a Canadian resident in 1981, 82 would have paid more for a ticket to the Montreal Finals then, than a Indiana resident paid to this seasons DCI Finals, despite the inflationary loss of value of the dollar in the intervening 33, 34 years.

Edited by BRASSO

for Montreal all non finalist corps had to buy tickets to get in. hence the large number

I remember some directors putting money aside or at least telling people if they did not make finals be prepared to buy a ticket for finals. OC class as I remember also prepared.Kind of like what happens every year at wgI

Sales are sales either way.It was so long ago and with so many different circumstances, not sure it can be compared.People will though. It's one of those DCI tales that at times keeps growing, depending on whos talking..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Some things are open to speculation regarding " paid attendance", while other things not left to speculation. For example,along the lines of the $15 Indiana resident heavily discounted ticket pricing for the 2015 Finals, there was no discounted ticket pricing for Canadian residents at the Montreal Finals in '81, 82. As a matter of fact, a Canadian resident in 1981, 82 would have paid more for a ticket to the Montreal Finals then, than a Indiana resident paid to this seasons DCI Finals, despite the inflationary loss of value of the dollar in the intervening 33, 34 years.

I don't know this but I'd guess that the discount for Indy residents is one of the conditions of DCI's contract with the city.

.It was so long ago and with so many different circumstances, not sure it can be compared.People will though. It's one of those DCI tales that at times keeps growing, depending on whos talking..lol

No... " paid attendance " is " paid attendance ". Unless DCI has changed the format as to how they calculate " paid attendance", the numbers can be effectively compared, imo. Unless one believes that DCI had a false " tale " that they told at the time regarding their announced Finals Attendance for earlier decade Finals, we accept those paid attendance figures from DCI with the same level of acceptance that we would accept todays figures from DCI on " paid attendance ". Otherwise we are saying that DCI inaccurately calculated the paid attendance numbers back then, but not today. I don't believe however that DCI published inaccuate " paid attendance " Finals numbers back then , nor do I believe that they are publishing inaccurate " paid attendance " numbers inaccurately for 2015.

Edited by BRASSO

No... " paid attendance " is " paid attendance ". Unless DCI has changed the format as to how they calculate " paid attendance", the numbers can be effectively compared, imo. Unless one believes that DCI had a false " tale " that they told regarding their announced Finals Attendance for earlier decade Finals, we accept those paid attendance figures from DCI with the same level of acceptance that we would accept todays figures from DCI on " paid attendance ". Otherwise we are saying that DCI inaccurately calculated the paid attendance numbers back then, but not today. I don't believe however that DCI published inaccuate " paid attendance " Finals numbers back then , nor do I believe that they are publishing inaccurate " paid attendance " numbers inaccurately for 2015.

1st i was answering jeff but thank you. And yes I believe back in the dark age we calculated things sometime to make things look more than they were orat least did it very different from today. Things today in every area have much more accountability than we ever did BITD.( not that any of this matters today )

One is also free to believe what they want. When talking about Montreal ,which was great, I have seen people post or talk how the number was this or that , Always seems to grow..lol

You also took 1 line( big surprise ) but missed the point that kids did attend in masses as i remember, which as per your post you believe did not. Now in your experience you saw differently than thats fine. Different views from which we sit.

If youre looking for conversation great , confrontation ( which is easy to see with you ) no thanks

OH and tickets sold Are tickets sold, I believe there would be more of a breakdown today.

Also, did you not post this just above? I guess for others it's fine , me you know for sure and ready to correct Although in you words "You have no insight "

Posted Today, 01:14 PM

Fred Windish, on 15 Aug 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:snapback.png

Prof. BRASSO -

I have no insights Prof. Fred, on how DCI determines " paid attendance , nor if discounted ticket prices are factored in or not. I would imagine however that " paid attendance " would be per person, per ticket , irrespective of what the individual paid for the ticket purchase. We don't factor in " paid attendance " with premium price seating, nor lowest ticket price, so I'd imagine " paid attendance " would be per ticket, per person, and no more complicated than that. But.... who knows for certain how DCI calculates its " paid attendance ". I don't know for certain anyway.

Edited by BRASSO, Today, 01:20 PM.

Edited by GUARDLING