Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Thanks, N.E., and while it might be human nature to slather congrats on everything and everyone for being part of the higher attendance ("Just keep doing what they're doing!", some might say), I think it continues to be prudent to try to identify specific things done that can reasonably be attributed to the success. For example:

Did the corps play more "accessible" music? More "fan-friendly", less esoteric shows?

Was the competition tighter because of tighter scoring sheets, or mandates to score differently?

Did DCI do something with the schedule that made it easier for fans to attend?

Was it simply the lack of a FN DVR that drove fans to attend shows?

One of the concerns that I have, as a fan and contributor (among other roles) is understanding what was done so that it CAN be duplicated. Is it possible that things would have been even better had DCI/the corps done something different, or the same thing differently?

I'm just cautious of the activity being lulled into complacency and falling backwards for not understanding what drove attendance this year.

Just talking about Finals week... what is the seating capacity of LOS between the 10's? If the pictures of LOS as full as it was on Saturday night are any indication, you can't get 30k people in that place w/o going past the goalposts in the endzones. If the sound issues start around the 10's, I don't think many people would pay to sit somewhere they can barely see and can't really hear.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! and the future.

Unless this discussion continues to run throughout the coming year, I suggest we participants take the time NOW, write down today's official attendance (whatever that single word means), store it in a safe location where it will come in handy the next time this annual 'comet' passes overhead. :smile:

Unless this discussion continues to run throughout the coming year, I suggest we participants take the time NOW, write down today's official attendance (whatever that single word means), store it in a safe location where it will come in handy the next time this annual 'comet' passes overhead. :smile:

lol

Maybe we can get the security video at LOS and count each " paying person"

2012_8$thumbimg124_Aug_2012_122059466-ll

Just talking about Finals week... what is the seating capacity of LOS between the 10's? If the pictures of LOS as full as it was on Saturday night are any indication, you can't get 30k people in that place w/o going past the goalposts in the endzones. If the sound issues start around the 10's, I don't think many people would pay to sit somewhere they can barely see and can't really hear.

Important observation!

I haven't been able to find a number so specific, but I firmly agree, in-person attendance (whatever that single word means) is limited to the amount of seats the average interested party considers enjoyable enough. Thus, the enormous money we all hope to see generated for the corps is going to come more through broadcast than in-person. It is critical, I think, the DCI-Live thing continues, and grows, to achieve that goal.

• Like 1

lol

Don't know exactly why...but there is something about those eyes which I personally find extremely terrifying...

• Like 1

lol

My aunt had that wallpaper in the 70's ;-)

Yes, that picture was added to this thread after I wrote that no one was citing anything as official-looking as DCI's recent press releases--in the same post where I wrote that I believed the 1981 attendance figures that had been proffered here. And you noticed that I already "liked" cixelsyd's post that includes that picture, didn't you? It's not like you to miss the finer nuances of these discussions, so I am left to suppose you just feel it's really important to hammer this point home.

when I came to DCP this morning, I read the latest posts on this thread first first. As such, I had not even seen cixelsyd's pic first, or I would not have seen fit to post a link to that picture again. Then when I read back a page or two, I saw his pic, and later your post( without noticing your like to C ) and gave my reply. It was not an attempt to " hammer it home " to you, as you strike me as an intelligent poster that " gets it " the first time. That said, I can understand now why it would be reasonable to assume that I was attempting to " hammer it home ". I hope my explanation now makes clear what I did, and that as a result, it was not my attempt with excess verbiage to " hammer home " something where as they say " a picture is worth a thousand words ."

Edited by BRASSO

Did the corps play more "accessible" music? More "fan-friendly", less esoteric shows?

Given that less video was officially available to the public this year, if accessibility of programming is a factor in increased attendance, was it actually the programming of 2013-2014 that drove up attendance in 2015?