Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Thanks Garfield.... so sources of potential members and money, or is it potential sources of members and money.

Oh man... time to perfectly clear <$1 to Nixon> DCI.....

Both. Sources of potential members mean money and potential sponsors mean money, too.

Members don't get to be members without money, so saying them both in the same sentence is likely redundant.

No, the press release was not clear.

That first sentence you allude to says this:

"Drum Corps International (DCI) ended an incredible record-setting national tour with the highest paid attendance in Indianapolis at the World Championship Finals at Lucas Oil Stadium."

The way this is written, it says that there was a national tour that was record-setting in some yet-to-be-specified way, and the event with the highest paid attendance of that tour was the last event, the finals in Indianapolis.

Later, the press release treats championship week in more detail:

"The exceptional statistics throughout the season led perfectly into the 3-day finals in Indianapolis where a record-setting 22,085 fans reveled in an electrifying finish at the Saturday night finals – up an incredible 18.7% over 2014. The 3-night combined paid attendance was up 16.3% over 2014 and each of the three nights were individually the highest paid attendance for that night of the competition – records all around."

The first sentence is not clear on whether the record being set is for finals all-time, or just Indianapolis. However, the second sentence states that all three rounds of championships set "records" - not just for Indianapolis, but "for that night of the competition" unconditionally. That is certainly not true for Saturday, and that is why people start referring back to 1981 to point that out.

Maybe the writer meant to say that these were records for the Indianapolis-based events, but failed to specify. Without knowing the history (which you deem "irrelevant"), I could not even create such doubt, much less give the writer the benefit of that doubt.

Bottom line - DCI has some great attendance news, and atrocious grammar. At least we agree on the former.

not to pick nits, but the first sentence is pretty clear. the highest paid attendance in Indianapolis

• Like 2

Not picking over the past discussion but have a question. If one knows nothing about DCI how can deductive reasoning be applied?

I work IT and had to fix many problems over the decades using deductive reasoning and other tools. But if I don't have a clue what is going on ("It's broken.. you wrote it, fix it type calls) I don't have enough info to apply D.R.

If you want real mind numbing fun, write full documentation for a new system including full description and user instructions. Even if the doc is going to people fully up on what is going on you have to write as if the reader knows absolutely zilch. Never wrote a press release before but what is a few posts above would not get past the review group LOL. Right or wrong, after 30+ years of this crap that's how I apply anything going to the general public.

Yeah I know what DCI meant.. but I know better.....

Jim....let's be honest. the people press releases like this are aimed at don't care what DCi did in 1972, 1981, 1991, etc.

The bottom line is it shows higher numbers than they've ever had in Indy. And since finals probably won't leave there in my lifetime, that's the number that counts.

• Like 1

THAT is my point: there is no real "rest of the world," as this is such a small niche activity. Some are over-scrutinizing and way over-reading into what is a simplistic press release of DCI hyping this year's attendance figures. IMO, it seems a lot more logical to question some of the more broad descriptions in regards to Regional shows & movie theater numbers, and I'm personally curious to know what the live stream figures were like this year in comparison to Fan Network subscriptions. Discussing semantics that really seem fairly obvious seems silly. People are assuming/guessing that there MIGHT be a problem when as far as we know there is not some massive amount of fans who are panicking wondering how 2015 DCI Attendance compares to 1984 Attendance. People are making up problems when there really aren't any in this case. DCI rightly hyped that they had a great year attendance-wise in Indy, and it seems really silly if people want to pick apart the verbiage in their press release to find fault and project world-wide confusion. There are PLENTY of issues involved with DCI to debate about, look for solutions, etc: this is not one of them

you win DCP

I remember that. DCI actually helped design the stadium so that the sound would be better for them (how did THAT work out?!). Finals week was supposed to be the first official event in LOS when it opened... until it couldn't open on time.

like a stadium built for peyton manning cared what bands sounded like

• Like 1

Both. Sources of potential members mean money and potential sponsors mean money, too.

Members don't get to be members without money, so saying them both in the same sentence is likely redundant.

Now I was being unclear LOL,,,, I meant I didn't now where the word "potential" should go....

Jim....let's be honest. the people press releases like this are aimed at don't care what DCi did in 1972, 1981, 1991, etc.

The bottom line is it shows higher numbers than they've ever had in Indy. And since finals probably won't leave there in my lifetime, that's the number that counts.

Oh no argument there, my only point was the opening sentence could be read in two different ways. After I write stuff for work I have to pretend I'm the future user and read it like I know nothing about what I just wrote about. Sounds weird but makes for a clearer document. For all the brain power at DCI to have a line like this in is disappointing.

My old HS speech teacher would be all over that like a starving jackyl on roadkill. Same guy would tell a kid how great his speech was and then fail him for chewing gum the whole time.

THAT is my point: there is no real "rest of the world," as this is such a small niche activity.

Yes this is a small niche activity but that small niche activity IS trying to get new "converts" from the rest of the world.

That was the point of the ESPN telecasts IIRC. And the info given then was geared to the "unknowing" target audience.

Yes this is a small niche activity but that small niche activity IS trying to get new "converts" from the rest of the world.

That was the point of the ESPN telecasts IIRC. And the info given then was geared to the "unknowing" target audience.

and the cost wasn't worth it to keep going back to ESPN.

DCI is doing far better using social media

Where did I sound like I was saying DCI should have stayed with ESPN?