Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

like a stadium built for peyton manning cared what bands sounded like

They didn't build the stadium for Manning. They built it for the city... and I quote from the press release on the new 10 year extension with the city:

Visit Indy President & CEO Leonard Hoops stated, “The World Championships have a significant impact on Central Indiana, and DCI’s partnership with Indy will generate more than $115 million in economic impact over the next decade. This event annually brings thousands of talented and passionate drum and bugle corps performers—and their friends, families, and fans—to Indy while helping support the more than 75,000 people in our region who benefit from tourism for a paycheck. Over the course of a year, Lucas Oil Stadium will host more days of competitive marching music events than it will football games. When we built the stadium in 2008, we were the first city in the country to design the environment with marching music in mind.”

Oh no argument there, my only point was the opening sentence could be read in two different ways. After I write stuff for work I have to pretend I'm the future user and read it like I know nothing about what I just wrote about. Sounds weird but makes for a clearer document. For all the brain power at DCI to have a line like this in is disappointing.

My old HS speech teacher would be all over that like a starving jackyl on roadkill. Same guy would tell a kid how great his speech was and then fail him for chewing gum the whole time.

I am in IT as well, and I have written lots of User and System Guides over the years. You describe that process perfectly.

But DCI was not writing a User Guide...it was a press release to trumpet (so to speak) their successful season, attendance-wise. I think they published exactly what they wanted to say.

• Like 3

No wonder we get along Mike... (IT) misery loves company... :tounge2:

When I first read these posts I had no idea why the release was written and who it was written for. Still think it was an unfortunate choice of wording at spots but yes it got out the message that 2015 was successful. No big deal in spite of the number of posts I seem to be making here (ugh)....

Now if I can just get the mental picture of my HS speech teacher (aka starving jackyl) outta my mind.... :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

And it was a historic Finals, too!

Everything is "historic" if it is part of history. Every championship happened in the past. Thus, it's historic.

Everything is "historic" if it is part of history. Every championship happened in the past. Thus, it's historic.

Historic as in Regiment's first standalone championship. I swear this thread should be re-labeled "Parsing every word at DCI World Championships".

and the cost wasn't worth it to keep going back to ESPN.

Correct. DCI decided to shift their DCI costs ( and free cost of the telecast on ESPN to their fanbase), to their fanbase itself. It seems to be working as a successful model for them too with their current fanbase. ( although, non Drum Corps fans are far less exposed now to the DCI Drum Corps shows than ever before in DCI's history. )

Should have explained that I used ESPN as an example of DCI going outside of the MB or music world to show their product.

Could have used PBS broadcasts but lot of posters too young to remember them.....

...it was a press release to trumpet (so to speak) their successful season, attendance-wise. I think they published exactly what they wanted to say.

I agree. It was a combination of 1) an accurate press release coupled with 2) very clever wording. I see nothing inherently wrong with a PR press release from any entity that utilizes clever wording. They ALL do. Its really up to us, the public to understand what PR press releases are designed to do in the first place. If we don't understand that dynamic, then we get what we deserve, imo... PR press releases are ALWAYS designed to cleverly manipulate the words that are used in a fashion that is both accurate, but also susceptible to a possible misreading by a reader to a fashion most favorable to the organization that puts out the PR press release. This DCI article, with its clever wording on DCI attendance, successfully accomplished BOTH these goals for DCI, imo. So I agree with several others here on this, this DCI PR press release is a non issue.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Correct. DCI decided to shift their DCI costs ( and free cost of the telecast on ESPN to their fanbase), to their fanbase itself. It seems to be working as a successful model for them too with their current fanbase. ( although, non Drum Corps fans are far less exposed now to the DCI Drum Corps shows than ever before in DCI's history. )

Mr. B, please expand and clarify what you're saying here. What has DCI focused on their current fan base?

Mr. B, please expand and clarify what you're saying here. What has DCI focused on their current fan base?

I believe my remarks are self explanatory.

But for further clarification for you, I said the DCI Finals that was shown on tape delay on ESPN to the Drum Corps fanbase was free to the fanbase, and that DCI decided to forego the costs of the production of the telecast to ESPN ( that DCI would pay for ) and transfer ( at least to some degree ) DCI's costs of that, to their current fanbase ( via pay per view subscription to DCI ) Their fanbase that did not want to pay for the Finals telecast would thus no longer have it available to them. As a result, far fewer people ( both fans and non fans alike ) the last few years have seen the DCI Finals than at any time in DCI's history. We know this, because the TV exposure DCI had on TV ( PBS, ESPN ) was far, far greater than the pay per view and the select cinema theatre exposure ( AMC theatres alone, and in only in select AMC theatres, as well ) DCI has chosen for itself now.

Edited by BRASSO