Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Well, the 16th out of 157 was compared to all other shows on ESPN2 that week, not the casual viewer clicking through all of the networks and ending up watching DCI.

BTW, just a a point of interest...this is from a dci.org article in 2007...

"

The Sept. 5 broadcast of the Drum Corps International World Championship on ESPN2 delivered a 0.4 rating, translating to 380,224 Nielsen Media Research TV households.

Read more: http://dci271.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1895a3d9-b611-452e-872a-d4e124545486#ixzz3jwl9Bqby

"

As a point of clarification, I quoted "viewers", not households. Households can have more than one person watching at the same time... and that was the case here.

• Like 1

As a point of clarification, I quoted "viewers", not households. Households can have more than one person watching at the same time... and that was the case here.

Yes, I mentioned this above on your behalf as well, barigirl78. MikeD is a good poster here and is usually quite perceptive on these things. Thats why I was a bit surprised he would not immediately pick up the difference between what you said above on the 2007 Finals Nite, 507,000 " viewers " and his choice to reply in the DCI PR press release from 2007 that stated there were 300,000 + " households " that were estimated to have watched the 2007 DCI Finals on TV. But its no big deal, imo. But you were correct though to state the difference between " households " and " viewers ". Both the 2007 DCI press release and your Neilsen comment above as such don't appear to be at odds at all, imo

Edited by BRASSO

While most sports watching might be 2/3rds male, ( 70% audience for the sport of figure skating is female ) as an interesting sidebar, according to Neilsen, almost half ( 46% ) of the Super Bowl Game watchers this past January were woman. More woman watched this year's Super Bowl than watched the Oscars, Grammy's, Emmy's COMBINED. Cool, huh ?

Source :

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/women-are-dominant-media-voice-during-super-bowl-155227

That is correct that there are exceptions to my broad statement about "most" sports and it being "2/3rds". It was a generalization. The Super Bowl has a higher percentage of female viewers than the average regular season game does. The Olympics is another event that defies the heavy male skew.

Guys usually don't watch figure skating.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

What never made sense to me is how people say DCI had to buy their way onto ESPN. Other sports don't pay to get broadcast on ESPN. It's the other way around. ESPN pays for the rights to broadcast the sport.

If indeed, DCI had to pay its way to get a TV network to broadcast them, it is kind of sad.

BTW--I work with TV ratings and have access to Nielsen. The telecast on ESPN2, 9/5/07, was estimated to have 507,000 viewers with a median age of 43.8. 54,000 was the estimate for ages 15 to 24. About half of all the viewers were between 35 and 54. Despite being on a sports network, the audience was 56% male 44% female. Most sports are 2/3rds male.

Were these half a million viewers "existing fans"? Who knows? First you'd have to define what an "existing fan" is. Is it someone who had to attend or watch at least one show that season? Is it someone who participated in the past and was just coming back to watch out of curiosity?

it's fact DCI had to pay. For whatever reason, either the product itself, or the marketing of the product, doesn't draw the advertisers that could help offset costs

Your assumption on this seems to be wholly inaccurate ( with the predictable agreement by Guardling.... of course)... at least according to a DCP'er with direct knowledge on this 2007 ESPN broadcast ratings. See above ( Barigirl78 ) with the broadcast viewership that had the show viewership ( 16th out of 157) actually much better than what you and Guardling have incorrectly assumed and in which you commented on above earlier today.

I saw her post. and I feel pretty certain every band kid in America who knew about it tuned in to watch.

When you are in such an incoherent state as this Guardling, there is no reason that you have to go to a keyboard and type an all over the lot, rambling, gaggle of confused and incoherent comments on a specific thread topic discussion as a result. You can avoid this altogether, and not have us trying to figure out what in hades you are talking about with such a totally confused mess as this is.

physician heal thyself

• Like 1

Nice try. You got it and you know it. DAN

a244685e0af868530037e72b42ea215e.jpg

Intent can be so obvious, and embarrassing , especially when one thinks no one else knows it...lmao

Jeff, you can take this one if you are bored. lol

I had to focus on the day job. for a lush, you're doing ok DUDE

:tounge2:

That is correct that there are exceptions to my broad statement about "most" sports and it being "2/3rds". It was a generalization. The Super Bowl has a higher percentage of female viewers than the average regular season game does. The Olympics is another event that defies the heavy male skew.

Guys usually don't watch figure skating.

reading my Facebook you'd think otherwise.....and I'm talking just the straight guys alone LOL