Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

i wish I did drink sometimes...lol

some days I read DCp and wish I did more

• Like 2

Is there a minimum viewing time for a viewer to be counted as such under the Nielson system?

5 min? 30 min?

To have validity as a "viewer" wouldn't there have to be a presumption that the viewer would stay for a full show before they skipped off to some other sport?

Well, there's the grist.

Very clear time-frame clarification.

Unfortunately, they don't mention "paid attendance" until they discuss Open Class.

Duh-duh-duuhhh

:ninja:

well they did previously announce the 22,085 as paid, so why do it twice?

Trying to remember if we had to mark down what time(s) or length of time we watched a certain show when we did the Neilsen thing. Just too many years ago but the log book could hold a lot if needed. Some of the questions and BariGirls comments are jogging memory cells but too long ago...

But you did not have to watch the whole show to log it. I do remember instructions for logging multiple shows for the same block of time (ie 800-830)..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

To have validity as a "viewer" wouldn't there have to be a presumption that the viewer would stay for a full show before they skipped off to some other sport?

I would not recommend that we begin to define " viewers " in DCI however as those that were there for " the whole show ", as then we would be naturally required then to take out of the total attendance at shows those who arrived late at the cinemas, or" skipped off" before retreat, awards ceremonies, scores, etc.. And what about those who came in to watch just their favorite corps then left ?. Heck, half the shows I've been to over the recent years, attendees were still out in the parking lots when the shows started with Corps on the field. They were not there for " the full show "either ".We should count these people however, as they did view or go to the show. That should be enough, imo... and we shouldn't make the requirements for viewers or attendees that they had to watch " the full show " in order to have validity to be included in the DCI numbers as a viewer or attendee.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I would not recommend that we begin to define " viewers " in DCI however as those that were there for " the whole show ", as then we would be naturally required then to take out of the total attendance at shows those who arrived late at the cinemas, or" skipped off" before retreat, awards ceremonies, scores, etc.. And what about those who came in to watch just their favorite corps then left ?. Heck, half the shows I've been to over the recent years, attendees were still out in the parking lots when the shows started with Corps on the field. They were not there for " the full show "either ".We should count these people however, as they did view or go to the show. That should be enough, imo... and we shouldn't make the requirements for viewers or attendees that they had to watch " the full show " in order to have validity to be included in the DCI numbers as a viewer or attendee.

Before you go off defending your answer to something you think I said... I didn't say "THE" whole show, I said "A" whole show, meaning one (or even most of one) whole corps performance. It seems important to know whether PBS or ESPN "viewers" were flipping by and stopped in for two minutes. Five minutes?

What is the definition of "viewer" in the Nielson world? Maybe some smart baritone player could help with the answer.

So to summarize, DCI Finals nite in Indianapolis had 24,638 in attendance ( both paid, and freebies ) and another offsite viewers in the pay per view subscriptions of an additional 4,500. Thus the total viewers ( both onsite, offsite ) for the Finals Nite here in 2015 in indy was 29,138.

DCI has had improved viewership while in Indy, and its press release seems accurate regarding its improved situation in Indy. For comparison purposes immediately before Indy on viewership however, DCI had an announced viewership for their 2007 DCI Finals Nite of over " 300,000 households ". ( with 24, 309 paid, and another 7,000 freebies or Corps marchers live at Finals Nite ). A DCP'er with apparent access to the Neilsen DCI ESPN broadcast has said that Neilsen estimated the total viewers of the Finals Nite in 2007 to be approx 507,000. So... the viewers that saw DCI Finals Nite in 2007 was approx. 530,000, and the viewers that saw DCI Finals here in 2015 was approx. 30,000. These are viewership numbers that have seemingly good science, and from unimpeachable sources( DCI, Neilsen ) too it would seem to me. Everything DCI has produced on these numbers looks legit to me. So its good info regarding the viewership numbers for Finals Nite.

Edited by BRASSO

Before you go off defending your answer to something you think I said... I didn't say "THE" whole show, I said "A" whole show, meaning one (or even most of one) whole corps performance. It seems important to know whether PBS or ESPN "viewers" were flipping by and stopped in for two minutes. Five minutes?

What is the definition of "viewer" in the Nielson world?

I have no idea what constitutes either a " viewer " in the Neilsen world, nor what we call a fan who bought a ticket, but never went to the show at all. I would assume however that despite the fact the fan didn't go to the show, he'd still be considered in the attendance ( paid ) numbers anyway. I would also assume DCI would count into the seasonal paid attendance those fans who saw no show from any corps as it was a complete rainout at the show they bought tickets for. And what about people who bought tickets but hang out the entire time at the show smoozing with friends, alums , and don't go near their seat, nor watch any of the Corps shows ? You see, I suppose we could subdivide this into all kinds of goofy qualifyers for what makes for a " viewer ":, but such requests for levels of time viewing during the shows can probably never be scientifically ascertained... whether its in front of a TV in a private home nor for those in a stadium, cinema, or behind a computer and / or computer hook up environment at home as a " viewer ".

Edited by BRASSO

What is the definition of "viewer" in the Nielson world? Maybe some smart baritone player could help with the answer.

Know you're talking about the other Bari LOL.

Found this while poking around the web. Haen't hit all the links but looks familiar and might give some answers.

http://tvdiary.nielsen.com/content/panel/tvdiary7-en-feb2014/home.html

Edit: OK log a show if you watch it 5 minutes or more.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari