Madison

Why would any corps go into the season without having been granted the permissions needed for their entire show?

This seems like an affront by the music company, but the onus is on the corps admin to play by copyright rules.

Based on Komnick's post it looks like this process started before 2011. How soon would you have them begin? According to DCI they needed permission to arrange and perform about this time last year. I don't think earlier is going to prove practical.

I suspect that's why more and more corps are going the route of having original music composed for them, so as to get all of the rights bundled up all at the same time and avoid all this jumping through countless hoops (some unforeseen until you encounter them).

What corps had original music composed for them this year?

Based on Komnick's post it looks like this process started before 2011. How soon would you have them begin? According to DCI they needed permission to arrange and perform about this time last year. I don't think earlier is going to prove practical.

It seems that when they started running into opposition it would have been wise to create an alternative plan. A corps can learn a chart in no time, and spending time on something you know very well may not be approved is a bad idea.

The process of getting approval is usually no more than a rubber stamp. Mason and his team have been around long enough to know that a stonewall like this is unusual and not a good sign. In hindsight, using the chart proved (possibly) disastrous.

An audio blank spot on the discs will suck big time.

Edited by NotaFan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice this on the DVD preorder page?

Note: Due to music licensing considerations, a portion of the video during the Madison Scouts performance is blacked out. The audio of the performance remains fully intact during the final two minutes of the production.

(emphasis added)

Seems like a really clever way to get around the sync licensing issue... they're keeping the ESOM music on the DVD by just blacking out the video so the music technically isn't "synched" with the video. I love it... great decision DCI!

EDIT: Here's the link as proof: http://store.dci.org/2011_World_Championships_DVD_P3949C230.cfm

Edited by crashhelmi36

(emphasis added)

Seems like a really clever way to get around the sync licensing issue... they're keeping the ESOM music on the DVD by just blacking out the video so the music technically isn't "synched" with the video. I love it... great decision DCI!

EDIT: Here's the link as proof: http://store.dci.org/2011_World_Championships_DVD_P3949C230.cfm

A blank screen with the music is hardly getting around the sync licensing issue. But I suppose it's better than the video with no music. Still a huge disappointment. I guess they'll cut back at the end and show the crowd going crazy. Hopefully, the Scouts will ultimately find a way to resolve this. They indicated on Facebook a few weeks ago that they're still trying.

(emphasis added)

WGI has done it this way a few times. The audio falls under the recording license no matter if it is on CD, DVD, Mp3, Mp4, etc...; the video of them playing falls under the sync license; therefore in cases like this where audio is permitted but video is not the DVD can have the audio but not the video.

Edited by Stu

(emphasis added)

I'm thinking that this is not an effective remedy for the sync license issue. My sense is that the issue is with the media, not the actual picture. That is, the music is still synced -- it's just synced with a black screen now. Interesting issue. Hoping DCI got somebody who knows IP back-to-front to review this one.

I'm thinking that this is not an effective remedy for the sync license issue. My sense is that the issue is with the media, not the actual picture. That is, the music is still synced -- it's just synced with a black screen now. Interesting issue. Hoping DCI got somebody who knows IP back-to-front to review this one.

That's definitely an interesting thought... it's just a question whether the law has been found to be more along the lines of the actual media (i.e. the DVD vs. a CD) or whether there is literally video synced to the music. I wonder if there have been any other attempts to do this... if not in DCI maybe just in amateur music videos or something like that. All I know is that I would think (or more accurately I would hope) that DCI's lawyers have gone over this issue back and forth with the lawyers for the artists before giving the go-ahead to try this.

(And I'm currently just a 1L so I don't claim to know what I'm talking about... I'd be interested to hear more of your opinion on this!)

Edited by crashhelmi36

WGI has done it this way a few times. The audio falls under the recording license no matter if it is on CD, DVD, Mp3, Mp4, etc...; the video of them playing falls under the sync license; therefore in cases like this where audio is permitted but video is not the DVD can have the audio but not the video.

Exactly... that's a good sign. It's definitely not an ideal situation for the DVD but it's definitely better than silent drill (or just cutting it out ala 08 PR).